How Can I Create a High-Speed and Accurate Linear Actuator for My Project?

In summary, the author is looking for a small, fast, and accurate way to move a small, straight pin. He has looked into various options but none of them seem to fit the bill perfectly. One possible solution is to use a linear servo motor, but that may not be suitable for use every time the pin needs to move. Another solution is to use a rotary cam-follower system, which is more versatile. The author also suggests looking into voice coil drivers, which are commonly used in disk drives from the 1980s.
shmoey
I am working on a project that requires moving a 100mm long and <.5mm diameter pin a specific distance in a straight line. I want to move the pin in and out as fast as possible and accurate to less than .05 mm. The device needs to be as small as possible. The stepper linear actuators on the market appeared to be a good option but they look too slow and expensive. I was looking into using the electromagnet from a speaker, but I am not sure how to calculate the speed and accuracy of the push/pull. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I also need to have each push to have a different and controllable distance.

I once had to design a lenses switching system in a very high dollar optical system that hangs under an F16 jet. I used a lead screw with 5 leads. Put a very expensive anti friction coating on the threads and spent a great deal of money eliminating nearly all the back lash. System has been operational for three decades with nearly no trouble. Used a standard high end stepper motor.

Let's see...you want:
  • "fast as possible"
  • "straight line" motion
  • "small as possible"
  • but not "too slow and expensive"
  • "accurate to less than 0.5mm"...oh, wait, that's definitive

It might help to be more precise in your specifications.

I have many ideas, but they all violate one or more of these vague requirements. Or, at least what I may consider fast or slow or small or expensive or straight.

Look at linear servo motors, rotary cam-follower systems, lead screw systems, or piezo-electric actuators.

i just learned about rotating linkages, so my opinion might be bias, but you can translate rotational motion into linear motion with one of those (if you need it to move over and over at the same speed)
this is obviously not a good solution if you need the pin to move only once or twice per minute, or something

hmm i'd look at how the heads were positioned in large diskdrives of 1980's.
They used "Voice Coil Drivers" with closed loop position measurement.

Google search on 'voice coil disk head' brought up a lot of information.

Siliconix Si9961 is a typical driver there'll be application notes.

and you might find an old disk drive surplus.

What is a very fast linear actuator?

A very fast linear actuator is a type of mechanical device that converts rotational motion into linear motion at a high speed. It is typically used in applications where speed and precision are important, such as in automation, robotics, and industrial machinery.

How does a very fast linear actuator work?

A very fast linear actuator works by using a motor or other power source to rotate a screw or other type of drive mechanism. This rotation is then translated into linear motion through a nut or other type of coupling. The speed of the actuator is determined by the speed of the motor and the efficiency of the drive mechanism.

What are the key features of a very fast linear actuator?

The key features of a very fast linear actuator include high speed, precision, and repeatability. These actuators are also typically compact and lightweight, and can be designed with various load capacities and travel lengths to suit different applications. They may also have built-in sensors for position and force feedback.

What are the main applications of very fast linear actuators?

Very fast linear actuators have a wide range of applications in industries such as manufacturing, automotive, aerospace, and medical. They are commonly used in tasks such as pick and place operations, assembly and packaging, material handling, and robotic arm movements. They can also be found in consumer products like electronic devices and home appliances.

What are the advantages of using a very fast linear actuator?

The main advantages of using a very fast linear actuator include increased speed and accuracy, reduced manual labor and human error, and improved productivity and efficiency. These actuators can also be controlled and programmed for specific movements, making them ideal for repetitive tasks and complex motions. Additionally, they require minimal maintenance and have a long lifespan.