Finding eigenvectors of [[1,-1,-1],[-1,1,-1],[-1,-1,1]]

• Thread starter thetrystero
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eigenvectors
In summary: Of course, the transformation of the matrix is a vector space so any pair of linearly independent vectors will do as a basis for the space of eigenvectors.
thetrystero
he eigenvalues of the 3x3 matrix [[1,-1,-1],[-1,1,-1],[-1,-1,1]] are 2,2, and -1.
how can i compute the eigenvectors?
for the case lambda=2, for example, i end up with an augmented matrix [[-1,-1,-1,0],[-1,-1,-1,0],[-1,-1,-1,0]] so I'm stuck at this point.

much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
thetrystero said:
he eigenvalues of the 3x3 matrix [[1,-1,-1],[-1,1,-1],[-1,-1,1]] are 2,2, and -1.
how can i compute the eigenvectors?
for the case lambda=2, for example, i end up with an augmented matrix [[-1,-1,-1,0],[-1,-1,-1,0],[-1,-1,-1,0]] so I'm stuck at this point.

much appreciated.

So, you need to solve the linear system
[tex] x_1 + x_2 + x_3 = 0\\
x_1 + x_2 + x_3 = 0\\
x_1 + x_2 + x_3 = 0 [/tex]
There are lots of solutions. In fact, you should be able to find two linearly independent solution vectors, corresponding to the double eigenvalue 2.

RGV

I prefer to work from the basic definitions (perhaps I just never learned these more sophisticated methods!):
Saying that 2 is an eigenvalue of this matrix means there exist a non-zero vector such that
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & -1 & -1 \\ -1 & 1 & -1 \\ -1 & -1 & 1\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \\ z\end{bmatrix}x - y- z\\ -x+ y- z \\ -x- y+ z\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}2x \\ 2y\\ 2z\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
which gives the three equations x- y- z= 2x, -x+ y- z= 2y, -x- y+ z= 2z which are, of course, equivalent to -x- y- z= 0, -x- y- z= 0, -x- y- z= 0. Those three equations are the same. We can, for example, say that z= -x- y so that any vector of the form <x, y, -x- y>= <x, 0, -x>+ <0, y, -y>= x<1, 0, -1>+ y<0, 1, -1> is an eigenvector. Notice that the eigenvalue, 2, not only has algebraic multiplicity 2 (it is a double root of the characteristic equation) but has geometric multiplicity 2 (the space of all corresponding eigenvalues is 2 dimensional).

Similarly, the fact that -1 is an eigenvalue means there are x, y, z, satisfying x- y- z= -x, -x+ y- z= -y, -x- y+ z= -z which are, of course, equivalent to 2x- y- z= 0, -x+ 2y- z= 0, -x- y+ 2z= 0. If we subtract the second equation from the first, we eliminate z to get 3x- 3y= 0 so y= x. Putting that into the third equation, 2x+ 2z= 0 so z= -x.
Any eigenvector corresponding to eigenvalue -1 is of the form <x, x, -x>= x<1, 1, -1>.

HallsofIvy said:
I prefer to work from the basic definitions (perhaps I just never learned these more sophisticated methods!):
Saying that 2 is an eigenvalue of this matrix means there exist a non-zero vector such that
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & -1 & -1 \\ -1 & 1 & -1 \\ -1 & -1 & 1\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \\ z\end{bmatrix}x - y- z\\ -x+ y- z \\ -x- y+ z\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}2x \\ 2y\\ 2z\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
which gives the three equations x- y- z= 2x, -x+ y- z= 2y, -x- y+ z= 2z which are, of course, equivalent to -x- y- z= 0, -x- y- z= 0, -x- y- z= 0. Those three equations are the same. We can, for example, say that z= -x- y so that any vector of the form <x, y, -x- y>= <x, 0, -x>+ <0, y, -y>= x<1, 0, -1>+ y<0, 1, -1> is an eigenvector. Notice that the eigenvalue, 2, not only has algebraic multiplicity 2 (it is a double root of the characteristic equation) but has geometric multiplicity 2 (the space of all corresponding eigenvalues is 2 dimensional).

Similarly, the fact that -1 is an eigenvalue means there are x, y, z, satisfying x- y- z= -x, -x+ y- z= -y, -x- y+ z= -z which are, of course, equivalent to 2x- y- z= 0, -x+ 2y- z= 0, -x- y+ 2z= 0. If we subtract the second equation from the first, we eliminate z to get 3x- 3y= 0 so y= x. Putting that into the third equation, 2x+ 2z= 0 so z= -x.
Any eigenvector corresponding to eigenvalue -1 is of the form <x, x, -x>= x<1, 1, -1>.

by that reasoning, can i not have <1,-1,0> and <-1,1,0> as my two solutions for eigenvalue 2? but wolframalpha says i need to have the case where y=0.

also, i think the solution for eigenvalue -1 is <1,1,1>

Your two listed vectors (for eigenvalue 2) are just multiples of each other. You need two *linearly independent* eigenvectors, such as <1,-1,0> and <1,0,-1>, or <0,-1,1> and <1,-1/2, -1/2>, etc. There are infinitely many possible pairs of vectors <x1,y1,z1> and <x2,y2,z2> that are linearly independent and satisfy the equation x+y+z=0. Any such pair will do.

RGV

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
Your two listed vectors (for eigenvalue 2) are just multiples of each other. You need two *linearly independent* eigenvectors, such as <1,-1,0> and <1,0,-1>, or <0,-1,1> and <1,-1/2, -1/2>, etc. There are infinitely many possible pairs of vectors <x1,y1,z1> and <x2,y2,z2> that are linearly independent and satisfy the equation x+y+z=0. Any such pair will do.

RGV
yes, i had thought of that, but found it uncomfortable that of all the many possibilities, both my professor and wolframalpha chose the cases y=0 and z=0 as solutions, so i was wondering what made these two special compares to the others.

thetrystero said:
yes, i had thought of that, but found it uncomfortable that of all the many possibilities, both my professor and wolframalpha chose the cases y=0 and z=0 as solutions, so i was wondering what made these two special compares to the others.

There is nothing special about these choices, except for the fact that they both have one component = 0 so are, in a sense, the simplest possible. However, you could equally take x=0 and y=0 or x=0 and z=0.

RGV

If you have a vector that depends upon parameters, say, <x, y, -x- y> as I have above, then choosing x= 0, y= 1 gives you <0, 1, -1> and choosing x= 1, y= 0 gives <1, 0, -1>. That is, in effect, the same as writing <x, y, -x- y>= <x, 0, -x>+ <0, y, -y>= x<1, 0, -1>+ y<0, 1, -1>, showing that any such vector is a linear combination of <1, 0, -1> and <0, 1, -1>.

1. What are eigenvectors?

Eigenvectors are special vectors that, when multiplied by a certain matrix, result in a scalar multiple of themselves. In other words, they do not change direction when multiplied by the matrix, only their magnitude changes.

2. Why do we need to find eigenvectors?

Eigenvectors are important in many areas of mathematics and science. They are used in applications such as data analysis, signal processing, and quantum mechanics. They also play a key role in solving systems of linear equations.

3. How do we find eigenvectors?

To find eigenvectors, we first need to find the eigenvalues of the matrix. This can be done by solving the characteristic equation det(A-λI) = 0, where A is the given matrix and λ is the eigenvalue. Once we have the eigenvalues, we can use them to find the eigenvectors by solving the equation (A-λI)x = 0, where x is the eigenvector.

4. What is the significance of the matrix [[1,-1,-1],[-1,1,-1],[-1,-1,1]] in finding eigenvectors?

The given matrix is a symmetric matrix, meaning that it is equal to its transpose. This property makes it easier to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors. Additionally, the matrix has the special property that all its eigenvalues are equal, making it a particularly interesting case for finding eigenvectors.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding eigenvectors of this matrix?

This matrix can be used to model the behavior of coupled oscillators, such as a pendulum system. The eigenvectors represent the directions of motion for the oscillators, while the eigenvalues determine the frequencies of the oscillations. This can help in understanding and predicting the behavior of such systems in various scenarios.