Approximation of a function in limit of small and large x

In summary: Which leads us to the conclusions: \lim_{x\to\infty} \sqrt {x^2 + 1 } - x =0and \lim_{x\to 0} \sqrt {x^2 + 1 } - x = 1In summary, the function y = x\left\{ {\left[ {1 + \left( {{1 \over x}} \right)^2 } \right]^{{1 \over 2}} - 1} \right\} approaches a limit of 1 for small values of x and becomes
FrankDrebon
Hi all,

I'm having a bit of trouble getting my head round approximations to a function in the limit of small and large values of the x parameter. The function is:

[itex]y = x\left\{ {\left[ {1 + \left( {{1 \over x}} \right)^2 } \right]^{{1 \over 2}} - 1} \right\}[/itex]

The paper I'm reading says y becomes independent of x for small values of x. For large values of x, y becomes proportional to (1/x). Has anyone got any ideas of how this can be shown algebraically? I haven't had to do this for a while!

FD

Mathematics news on Phys.org
FrankDrebon said:
Hi all,

I'm having a bit of trouble getting my head round approximations to a function in the limit of small and large values of the x parameter. The function is:

[itex]y = x\left\{ {\left[ {1 + \left( {{1 \over x}} \right)^2 } \right]^{{1 \over 2}} - 1} \right\}[/itex]

The paper I'm reading says y becomes independent of x for small values of x. For large values of x, y becomes proportional to (1/x). Has anyone got any ideas of how this can be shown algebraically? I haven't had to do this for a while!

FD
Let us look at
[tex]h(x):=\frac{\left(1+\frac{1}{x^2}\right)^{1/2}-1}{\frac{1}{x}}[/tex]

When [itex]\,x\to 0\,[/itex] , both numerator and denominator above go to [itex]\,\pm \infty[/itex] , so applying L'Hospital we get:

[tex]\lim_{x\to 0}h(x)=\lim_{x\to 0}\frac{-\frac{1}{x^3}\left(1+\frac{1}{x^2}\right)^{-1/2}}{-\frac{1}{x^2}}=\lim_{x\to 0}\frac{1}{x\left(1+\frac{1}{x^2}\right)^{1/2}}=\lim_{x\to 0}\frac{1}{\left(x^2+1\right)^{1/2}}=1[/tex]

the above being possible if [itex]\,x>0\,\,,\,i.e.\,\,\lim_{x\to 0^+}\,[/itex] . If we take the limit from the left just

multiply by [itex]\,-1\,[/itex] after the 3rd. equality above and proceed then as before. The limit then is [itex]\,-1[/itex] .

This shows the paper you're reading is wrong as the value approached definitely depends on
whether x is "very small",

positive or negative . It's easy to see that has x becomes larger and larger the expression in the square root

becomes closer to 1.

Doing exactly the same as above in the case [itex]\,x\to\infty\,[/itex] , we get the limit is now zero, but the

thing about "proporcionality" perhaps means that [itex]\,|h(x)|\leq\frac{M}{x}\,\,\,,\,\,as\,\,\,x \to \infty\,\,,\,M=\,[/itex] a constant. Check this.

DonAntonio

You can calculate the taylor expansion for h(x) at x=0 and for h(1/x) at 1/x=0 - in both cases, use the limit value where h is not well-defined. If x cannot be negative, this limit exists.Hand-wavy way for small x: (1+z)^(1/2) = 1+z/2+O(z^2) for small z, therefore
[itex]h(x) = x \left(\frac{1}{x}(1+x^2)^{1/2}-1\right) = x\left(\frac{1}{x}(1+\frac{x^2}{2}+O(x^4))-1\right)=1-x+\frac{x^2}{2}+O(x^4)[/itex]
Well, I would not call this "independent of x", the single "-x" does not fit to this.
Another way would be to derive your whole equation. If the limit of the derivative is 0 (it is not, unless I made a mistake), you could call this "independent of x".And small 1/x:
[itex]h(x)=x \left(1+\frac{1}{x^2}+O(\frac{1}{x^4})-1\right) = \frac{1}{x} + O(\frac{1}{x^3})[/itex]
Another way here would be to show that y*x approaches a constant for x->infinity.@DonAntonio: This would be an upper limit, not a proportionality.

FrankDrebon said:

Isn't that the same as:

[itex]f(x) = x \times \sqrt {1 + \left( {{1 \over x}} \right)^2 } - x[/itex]

which is equal to:

[itex]f(x) = \sqrt {x^2 + x^2 \times\left( {{1 \over x^2}} \right) } - x[/itex]

which is equal to:

[itex]f(x) = \sqrt {x^2 + 1 } - x[/itex]

Which leads us to the conclusions:
[tex]\lim_{x\to\infty} \sqrt {x^2 + 1 } - x =0[/tex]
and
[tex]\lim_{x\to 0} \sqrt {x^2 + 1 } - x = 1[/tex]

Matt Benesi said:
Isn't that the same as:

[itex]f(x) = x \times \sqrt {1 + \left( {{1 \over x}} \right)^2 } - x[/itex]

x can be negative so the next line is wrong. Remember [itex]\sqrt{x^2} = |x|[/itex]

1. What is the meaning of "approximation of a function in limit of small and large x?"

Approximation of a function in limit of small and large x refers to using an estimate or close value for a function as the input, x, approaches either very small or very large values. This is also known as the limit of a function.

2. How is approximation of a function in limit of small and large x useful in scientific research?

Approximation of a function in limit of small and large x is useful in scientific research because it allows us to make predictions and understand the behavior of a function when the input, x, approaches extreme values. This can help us make more accurate and efficient models and calculations.

3. Can you provide an example of an application of approximation of a function in limit of small and large x?

One common application of approximation of a function in limit of small and large x is in the field of physics, specifically in the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics. The Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum particles, involves taking the limit of very small and very large values, making approximation techniques essential in solving and understanding this equation.

4. What are some methods used for approximating a function in limit of small and large x?

Some methods commonly used for approximating a function in limit of small and large x include Taylor series, asymptotic expansions, and numerical methods such as Euler's method and Runge-Kutta method. These methods involve breaking down a function into smaller components and using mathematical techniques to approximate the behavior of the function as x approaches extreme values.

5. How does the accuracy of the approximation change as the value of x gets smaller or larger?

The accuracy of the approximation generally decreases as the value of x gets smaller or larger. This is because as x approaches extreme values, the function may exhibit more complex behavior that cannot be accurately captured by simple approximations. Additionally, using higher order approximation methods can help improve the accuracy of the approximation in these cases.