Requesting (advice) and help on academic assignment.

In summary: Hi tim, don't worry, my sleep pattern is terrible, sleep at 6am and up at noon hahaBut yeah I think doing it on quantum computing sounds like a good idea because it relates to my other assignment, and I find it interesting, here's hoping there's enough physics and little IT involved And in that case I hope my Thank you is enough :)
sick1
1. The situation

Hi, I'm in the UK and just finished my first year of college, and now I need to do a 2000 word academic assignment (on physics) for my college so I can show Unis. I am 17 and a competent, interested young physicist.

2. The problem

I am very much interested in physics, mainly particle physics (string theory) and astrophysics (black holes, dark matters, everything). However, I can't think of a topic to do my assignment on. I would want something that is interesting and deep enough for me to get my teeth into, but not something to be overwhelmed with and not understand completely. I have just got my A in AS physics and an A* in A level maths so you have an idea of what I can and can't do.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried looking into topics like Curiosity, dark matter, string theory and the theory of everything, but I can't seem to translate that into an academic task for me to write about, I would be over the moon if someone could point me in the right direction.

Too Long Didn't Read: I am not asking for help WITH the project itself; the reading into it and research and writing of it I can do myself, I just need a project idea or a thesis that I can get into. (For example, I just did a maths paper on "Explore the mathematics behind public key cryptography", something like that in terms of physics would be great!)

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi sick1! welcome to pf! :smile:
sick1 said:
Hi, I'm in the UK and just finished my first year of college, and now I need to do a 2000 word academic assignment (on physics) for my college so I can show Unis. I am 17 and a competent, interested young physicist.

I have tried looking into topics like Curiosity, dark matter, string theory and the theory of everything, but I can't seem to translate that into an academic task for me to write about …

i wouldn't touch string theory, dark matter etc, it's far too complicated

Curiosity (I assume you mean the Mars one! :biggrin:) is mostly about engineering, chemistry and biology, rather than physics

but since you seem interested in astronomy, how about writing about magnetospheres, or the heliosphere?

tiny-tim said:
hi sick1! welcome to pf! :smile:

i wouldn't touch string theory, dark matter etc, it's far too complicated

Curiosity (I assume you mean the Mars one! :biggrin:) is mostly about engineering, chemistry and biology, rather than physics

but since you seem interested in astronomy, how about writing about magnetospheres, or the heliosphere?

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I thought all those topics would be too complicated, which is why I was reluctant to start an assignment into it.

The Mars Curiosity? What's that? :rolleyes: Haha kidding, and I don't want to sound like I'm brushing of your idea of the magnetosphere/heliosphere (I'll look into it as soon as), but while doing my assignment on cryptography, it mentioned Quantum Computing and I was wondering, perhaps I could link my new assignment into Quantum computing, more importantly, the physics side of things. Perhaps I could do something like 'How long till Quantum Computers are on every desk' and then explain the physics behind it? Opinions? I would LOVE to do the physics behind quantum computing/ quantum theory, but would it be a feasible idea?

Also, is there a way I can thank you for your post on this forum? I know on other forums you can add reputation points to users. Once again, thanks for taking the time to reply!

hi sick1! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)
sick1 said:
… I was wondering, perhaps I could link my new assignment into Quantum computing, more importantly, the physics side of things. Perhaps I could do something like 'How long till Quantum Computers are on every desk' and then explain the physics behind it? Opinions? I would LOVE to do the physics behind quantum computing/ quantum theory, but would it be a feasible idea?

i know nothing about quantum computing, but yes it sounds feasible (not particularly complicated, and doable in 2000 words)

(and no, we don't have "rep" points … just good old-fashioned "thankyous"! :biggrin:)

tiny-tim said:
hi sick1! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)

i know nothing about quantum computing, but yes it sounds feasible (not particularly complicated, and doable in 2000 words)

(and no, we don't have "rep" points … just good old-fashioned "thankyous"! :biggrin:)

Hi tim, don't worry, my sleep pattern is terrible, sleep at 6am and up at noon haha

But yeah I think doing it on quantum computing sounds like a good idea because it relates to my other assignment, and I find it interesting, here's hoping there's enough physics and little IT involved

And in that case I hope my Thank you is enough :)

1. How do I request advice and help on my academic assignment?

To request advice and help on your academic assignment, you can reach out to your professor, teaching assistant, or classmates. You can also visit your school's writing center or seek help from online resources such as tutoring services or academic forums.

2. How can I ensure that the advice I receive is reliable and accurate?

It is important to verify the credibility of the source providing advice and help on your academic assignment. Look for individuals who have expertise in the subject matter or have a strong academic background. It is also helpful to cross-reference the advice received with other reliable sources.

3. How should I approach asking for help on my academic assignment?

When requesting help on your academic assignment, it is important to be specific about the areas you need assistance with. Be respectful and courteous in your communication and provide any necessary background information to help the person understand your assignment better.

4. Is it okay to ask for feedback on my assignment from multiple sources?

Yes, it is completely acceptable to seek feedback on your academic assignment from multiple sources. In fact, it can be beneficial to receive different perspectives and suggestions. However, it is important to ensure that your final submission is your own work and not heavily influenced by others.

5. Can I request help on my academic assignment from a professional writing service?

While it is not recommended to use professional writing services for completing your entire assignment, it is acceptable to seek their help for specific areas such as proofreading, editing, or formatting. It is important to note that using such services should not violate any academic integrity policies set by your institution.