Solving Linear Combinations of Positive Stamp Values

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding values that can be expressed as a linear combination of two positive stamps, with the highest common factor being greater than 1. It is mentioned that if the stamps are coprime, all numbers are eventually possible. The conversation then discusses the possibility of getting 'a' consecutive numbers in the list of possible numbers, making all subsequent numbers possible. The importance of non-negative values for the stamps and numbers is also mentioned. Finally, a start to the solution is proposed by considering a series of 'a' terms.
adamg
this is quite a classic problem i think but I am having difficulty finishing it off. If we have two stamps of positive values a and b, (greater than 1), what values can be expressed as a linear combination of these 2 stamps. If the stamps have a highest common factor greater than 1, then there are infinitely many 'bad' numbers. But if the numbers are coprime, after a certain point, all numbers are possible. For instance, with 5 and 8, in the list of possible numbers, you eventually get 28,29,30,31,32, therefore by adding 5's every other number is possible.
Can anyone help me prove the fact the if you have a and b, with a<b, then eventually you get 'a' consecutive numbers in the list of possibles. (therefore making all subsequent numbers possible).
Any other angle welcome!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
think the upper limit of not-possible numbers may be ab-a-b on the basis of a number of examples

I presume you mean for A and B to be non-negative. Since we have, in the example given, the case of 5(-3) + 8(2) =1, we see that every integer is possible.

In the example given: 5A+8B =30, and 5A+8B=32, the first case demands that 5 divide B and the second that 8 divides A. So those cases are only solved in non-negative terms with a zero for A or B. Assuming A less than B, to get A successive values, one of them will be divisible by A giving us a zero coefficient for B.

So I wonder if that was how you are seeing the problem?

Last edited:
yes, a and b must be non-negative, as must the numbers of each i.e. can't have negative numbers of stamps.

Well, here is a start: Let B = A+1. Look at series of A terms: (A+1) + A(A-1)=A^2+1; 2(A+1)+A(A-2)=A^2+2...A(A+1) + A(A-A) =A^2+A.

This series fulfillls the necessary requirements and starts at (A+1) +A(A-1) =A^2+1.

1. What is a linear combination of positive stamp values?

A linear combination of positive stamp values refers to a mathematical operation in which two or more positive stamp values are added together to create a sum. This is often used in solving problems related to stamp collecting, where the total value of a collection is determined by adding the individual values of each stamp.

2. How do you solve a linear combination of positive stamp values?

To solve a linear combination of positive stamp values, you must first identify the individual values of each stamp in the collection. Then, you can add these values together to find the total value of the collection. This process can be repeated for any number of collections or stamp values.

3. What is the importance of solving linear combinations of positive stamp values?

Solving linear combinations of positive stamp values is important for stamp collectors as it allows them to determine the total value of their collections. This information can be useful for insurance purposes, selling or trading stamps, and for keeping track of the overall value of a collection over time.

4. Are there any tips for solving linear combinations of positive stamp values?

One tip for solving linear combinations of positive stamp values is to organize your stamps into groups based on their value. This can make it easier to add the values together and ensure that you do not miss any stamps. Additionally, double-checking your calculations can help avoid mistakes and ensure an accurate total value.

5. Can linear combinations of positive stamp values be used for other purposes?

Yes, linear combinations of positive stamp values can be used in various other applications, such as solving equations in algebra. The concept of adding together individual values to find a total is a fundamental mathematical operation that can be applied in many different scenarios.