Magnetic field around sinusoid shaped wire

In summary, the discussion revolves around calculating the magnetic field change with deformation of a long straight wire into a sinusoid shape. The proposed solution involves using the Biot-Savart law and parametrized sinusoid equation to calculate the magnetic field components. However, the calculations cannot be solved with Mathematica, and another approach of expanding the denominator in a Taylor series is suggested. The possibility of plotting the field is also mentioned.
malganis99

Homework Statement

I have a long straight wire which is slightly deformed into sinusoid shape. How does the magnetic field change with deformation? Can you express the magnetic field change linearly with sinusoid amplitude?

Homework Equations

parametrized sinuosid equation

x = t
y = a*sin(t)
z=0

[itex]\vec{B}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{μ_{0}*I}{4\Pi}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]\frac{d\vec{l}×(\vec{r}'(t)-\vec{r}(t))}{|\vec{r}'(t)-\vec{r}(t)|^{3}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\vec{r}[/itex](t)=(t, a*sin(t),0)
[itex]\dot{\vec{r}}[/itex](t)=(1,a*cos(t),0)

[itex]\vec{\xi}[/itex](t)=[itex]\frac{\dot{\vec{r}}(t)}{|\dot{\vec{r}}(t)|}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{(1,a*cos(t),0)}{\sqrt{1+a^{2}*cos^{2}(t)}}[/itex]

d[itex]\vec{l}[/itex] = [itex]\vec{\xi}[/itex](t)dl

dl=|[itex]\frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}[/itex]|*dt=[itex]\sqrt{1+a^{2}*cos^{2}(t)}[/itex]*dt

The cross product in Biot-Savart law
d[itex]\vec{l}[/itex]×([itex]\vec{r}[/itex]'(t)-[itex]\vec{r}[/itex](t))=((1,a*cos(t),0)×(x-t,y-a*sin(t),z))*dt where [itex]\vec{r}[/itex]'(t) is a point in space (x,y,z)

[itex]|\vec{r}[/itex]'(t)-[itex]\vec{r}[/itex](t)|[itex]^{3}[/itex]= [itex]\sqrt{((x-t)^{2}+(y-a*sin(t))^{2}+z^{2})}[/itex][itex]^{3}[/itex]

[itex]\vec{B}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{μ_{0}*I}{4\Pi}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]\frac{(z*a*cos(t)\hat{i}-z\hat{j}+(y+a(t*cos(t)-x*cos(t)-sin(t))\hat{k})}{\sqrt{(x-t)^{2}+(y-a*sin(t))^{2}+z^{2})}^{3}}[/itex]dt and integral goes from -∞ to +∞B[itex]_{x}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{μ_{0}*I}{4\Pi}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]\frac{z*a*cos(t)\hat{i}}{(x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}-2xt+t^{2}-2y*a*sin(t))^{3/2}}[/itex]dt

B[itex]_{y}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{μ_{0}*I}{4\Pi}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]\frac{-z\hat{j}}{(x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}-2xt+t^{2}-2y*a*sin(t))^{3/2}}[/itex]dt

B[itex]_{z}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{μ_{0}*I}{4\Pi}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]\frac{(y+a(t*cos(t)-x*cos(t)-sin(t)))\hat{k}}{(x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}-2xt+t^{2}-2y*a*sin(t))^{3/2}}[/itex]dt

When I expanded denominator in Biot_savart law I ignored the terms with a[itex]^{2}[/itex] because they are negligible if a is small.

When I put these integrals in Mathematica it can't solve them. Should I approach the problem differently? Are my calculations correct?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As [itex]a[/itex] is small, why not expand [itex]\left[ (x-t)^2 + (y-a\sin t)^2 + z^2 \right]^{-\frac{3}{2}}[/itex] in a Taylor series around [itex]a=0[/itex]?

Thanks for the reply.

I expanded that to the first order of a.

[itex](t^2 - 2 t x + x^2 + y^2 + z^2)[/itex][itex]^{3/2}[/itex] - [itex]3\sqrt{t^2 - 2 t x + x^2 + y^2 + z^2}[/itex][itex]Sin(t) you [/itex]

I can calculate the integrals with mathematica using NIntegrate. I don't know how to plot the field though. As that is mathematica question I think it's better if I post it in another forum.

1. What is a sinusoid shaped wire?

A sinusoid shaped wire is a wire that is bent or shaped into a sinusoidal curve, which is a mathematical function that represents a smooth periodic oscillation.

2. How is a magnetic field generated around a sinusoid shaped wire?

A magnetic field is generated around a sinusoid shaped wire when an electric current flows through it. The electric current creates a moving charge, which in turn creates a magnetic field.

3. Does the shape of the wire affect the strength of the magnetic field?

Yes, the shape of the wire does affect the strength of the magnetic field. The closer the wire is to a straight line, the stronger the magnetic field will be. A sinusoid shaped wire will have a weaker magnetic field compared to a straight wire with the same current.

4. How does the magnetic field around a sinusoid shaped wire differ from a straight wire?

The magnetic field around a sinusoid shaped wire differs from a straight wire in that it is not uniform. The magnetic field strength varies along the length of the wire due to the changing direction of the current as it flows through the sinusoidal shape.

5. Can the magnetic field around a sinusoid shaped wire be manipulated?

Yes, the magnetic field around a sinusoid shaped wire can be manipulated by changing the strength of the electric current flowing through the wire. It can also be affected by the presence of other magnetic fields or materials in its vicinity.