Solving an equation with variable as denominator?

• Thread starter CptDarling
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variable
In summary, the student is trying to solve for λ in an equation without success. He plugs it into Wolfram Alpha and gets the λ value from the back of the textbook, but still doesn't know how to solve the equation himself. He has an equation in terms of λ alone, but I'm not sure what to do with it.
CptDarling

Homework Statement

The problem initially was a Lagrange multipliers question, and I'm trying to solve for λ. I have an equation in terms of λ alone, but I just can't solve it. I plugged it into Wolfram Alpha and it gave me the λ value in the back of the textbook, but I still don't know how to solve the equation myself.

Homework Equations

4(1/2λ)^2-λ=0

The Attempt at a Solution

4(1^2/2λ^2)-λ=0
4/2λ^2=λ
2/λ^2=λ

And I don't know where to go from here

Physics news on Phys.org
By [itex]4(1/2\lambda)^2= \lambda[/itex], I presume you mean [itex]4(1/(2\lambda)^2= \lambda[/itex] rather than [itex]4(1/2)^2\lambda)^2= \lambda[/itex]

If that is correct, an obvious first step would be to cancel the "4"s to get
[tex]\frac{1}{\lambda^2}= \lambda[/tex]
and the multiply on both sides by [itex]\lambda[/itex].

But I am puzzled as to why you would want to find [itex]\lambda[/itex]. It is not part of the solution to a Lagrange multipliers problem and it is never necessary to find it to solve a Lagrange multipliers problem.

Using Lagrange multipliers always gives a series of equation like:
[itex]f_1(x,y,z)= \lambda g_1(x,y,z)[/itex]
[itex]f_2(x,y,z)= \lambda g_2(x,y,z)[/itex]
[itex]f_3(x,y,z)= \lambda g_3(x,y,z)[/itex]

and a good first step is to eliminate [itex]\lambda[/itex] by dividing on equation by another.

HallsofIvy said:
By [itex]4(1/2\lambda)^2= \lambda[/itex], I presume you mean [itex]4(1/(2\lambda)^2= \lambda[/itex] rather than [itex]4(1/2)^2\lambda)^2= \lambda[/itex]

If that is correct, an obvious first step would be to cancel the "4"s to get
[tex]\frac{1}{\lambda^2}= \lambda[/tex]
and the multiply on both sides by [itex]\lambda[/itex].

But I am puzzled as to why you would want to find [itex]\lambda[/itex]. It is not part of the solution to a Lagrange multipliers problem and it is never necessary to find it to solve a Lagrange multipliers problem.

Using Lagrange multipliers always gives a series of equation like:
[itex]f_1(x,y,z)= \lambda g_1(x,y,z)[/itex]
[itex]f_2(x,y,z)= \lambda g_2(x,y,z)[/itex]
[itex]f_3(x,y,z)= \lambda g_3(x,y,z)[/itex]

and a good first step is to eliminate [itex]\lambda[/itex] by dividing on equation by another.

Actually, finding λ is often very important in solving a constrained optimization problem. Often, for example, we find x(λ), y(λ) and z(λ) from the optimality conditions, then find itself (and thus the values of x, y and z) by solving an equation in λ obtained from the constraint. Many optimization codes and methods for numerical solution depend crucially on estimating Lagrange multipliers along with the variables, and many of the very best methods would not work at all without doing this.

RGV

HallsofIvy said:
I doubt it. You really are very sloppy, Ivy! :smile:

1. How do you solve an equation with a variable as the denominator?

To solve an equation with a variable as the denominator, you can follow these steps:

• Multiply both sides of the equation by the denominator to eliminate it from the denominator.
  • Perform any operations needed to simplify the resulting equation.
  • Isolate the variable on one side of the equation by performing inverse operations.
  • Check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation and simplifying.

2. Can you give an example of solving an equation with a variable as the denominator?

Sure, let's solve the equation x/2 = 5.

• Multiply both sides by 2 to eliminate the denominator: x/2 * 2 = 5 * 2.
  • Performing the operation on the left side, we get x = 10.
  • Therefore, x = 10 is the solution to the equation.

3. What should I do if the variable appears in both the numerator and denominator?

If the variable appears in both the numerator and denominator, you can start by multiplying both sides of the equation by the denominator. This will eliminate the variable from the denominator and leave you with a simpler equation to solve.

4. Are there any restrictions when solving an equation with a variable as the denominator?

Yes, there may be restrictions when solving an equation with a variable as the denominator. If the variable results in a denominator of 0, then the equation has no solution. It's important to check for these restrictions before and after solving the equation.

5. Is there a specific order to follow when solving an equation with a variable as the denominator?

No, there is no specific order to follow when solving an equation with a variable as the denominator. However, it's important to follow the general rules of solving equations, such as performing inverse operations and checking for restrictions, to ensure an accurate solution.