Can a relay handle both AC and DC power sources?

In summary, the conversation involves a person finding a website to buy electronics, specifically RF wireless remote systems with relays, for a Halloween project. They have questions about the relay's output, input specs, and compatibility with DC motors. They mention the website not being accessible from work and the possibility of it being a Chinese manufacturer. There is also a discussion about using 12V batteries and the option of purchasing from other companies. Ultimately, the person is interested in the low price and small size of the product for their project.
GiTS
Hello!

I found a cool site to buy odds and ends electronics. It sells RF wireless remote systems equipped with relays. With halloween coming up this will be really fun to play with }:) .

My question is, the description states the relay output is 125V VAC but if can't I run VDC through it too?

I want to use it to power DC electric motors. Can this kind of relay handle AC/DC interchangably?

Also, the input does not state amps. I'm assuming I can just wire up a 12V battery and not fry it. How can I measure the proper amps needed? Lastly, do I need 12V or is that a max? Using a 9V would be convenient.

Link:

http://www.dinodirect.com/remote-control-transmitter-receiver-rf-transmitter-receiver.html

Engineering news on Phys.org
GiTS said:
Hello!

I found a cool site to buy odds and ends electronics. It sells RF wireless remote systems equipped with relays. With halloween coming up this will be really fun to play with }:) .

My question is, the description states the relay output is 125V VAC but if can't I run VDC through it too?

I want to use it to power DC electric motors. Can this kind of relay handle AC/DC interchangably?

Also, the input does not state amps. I'm assuming I can just wire up a 12V battery and not fry it. How can I measure the proper amps needed? Lastly, do I need 12V or is that a max? Using a 9V would be convenient.

Link:

http://www.dinodirect.com/remote-control-transmitter-receiver-rf-transmitter-receiver.html

I'm not able to open the link from work (it's blocked for some reason). The output can handle either AC or DC. The input current at 12V should be specified, or they should give you a coil resistance that you can use to calculate the input current that you need to supply. Generally you need to drive the input coil at the rated voltage -- the relay may not actuate if you use a lower voltage (or your 12V source cannot source the required current at 12V). Have fun!

I'm not able to open the link from work (it's blocked for some reason).

Perhaps your popup blocker?

I hope the supplier is better at electronics than it is at writing websites. I would be reluctant to buy from one that is so busy showing off that it ends up being rude and inconsiderate to potential customers, though I have seen worse.

Berkeman has said all you need to know about the relay.

Studiot said:
Perhaps your popup blocker?

Blocked by my work's IT department for some reason. It says the domain is blocked, which could be for various reasons, I suppose. I'm able to get to shopping sites like Amazon (and actually use them to buy stuff for work sometimes), so I'm not sure why IT doesn't like this one. Whatever.

This domain is blocked.

Site blocked. www.clixgalore.com is not allowed on this network.

This site was categorized in: Business Services, Parked Domains

I am fairly certain the site content is made by the manufacturer, who are most likely Chinese.

The product does not have specs on input amperage. Only voltage. I'd need 8 AA in series to get 12V. I don't know why they just didn't go with 9V. Can I use a resistor or some capacitors or something? The only 12V battery I can find is expensive.

Per the relay output, do I only have to keep it below max watts (V*A) or keep below both max V and max A?

Thanks for your help guys.

FWIW I tried your link and got a pop up window that was forcing me to sign up for something or other before I could get any further, so I gave up.

GiTS said:
I am fairly certain the site content is made by the manufacturer, who are most likely Chinese.

The product does not have specs on input amperage. Only voltage. I'd need 8 AA in series to get 12V. I don't know why they just didn't go with 9V. Can I use a resistor or some capacitors or something? The only 12V battery I can find is expensive.

Per the relay output, do I only have to keep it below max watts (V*A) or keep below both max V and max A?

Thanks for your help guys.

How much current do the motors take, and what voltage do they run off of?

If it's not too much current, and a voltage less than about 60Vdc, you might be able to just use 5V reed relays.

Relays that are rated for 125Vrms at the output are meant to be used with AC mains circuits usually. They have enough galvanic isolation (creepage and clearance distances and insulation) to isolate the AC Mains circuit on the output from the input coil circuit. That way it is safe for you to touch your drive circuit without worrying about getting shocked by the AC mains high voltage.

What are your motor specs? And are you sure you want to order from that company? Why not just order from Digikey or Mouser? They generally have pretty good prices, IMO.

Regarding the site, what does typing in dinodirect.com do? The link works fine for me.

I haven't chosen a motor yet. I have an old paper shredder AC motor, some dc hobby motors.

The purpose is that this is a wireless system. So when people are walking up I can hit a button and something scary pops up. It's fun when you can control it you know?

I have never seen a unit like this. Most products like these are atleast $40. The listed product is $6 with free shipping. It is also very small. I like those features.

Regarding the site, it may be Chinese, I don't know.

But it certainly is a prime example of the American way.

I think it is presumed you only visit the site to buy something.

So there is a popup which asks you to fill in what currency you wish to pay with and where you want delivery.
You cannot proceed until this is completed, but you do not have to buy anything.

This is logical if you accept my basic premise but some obviously find that offensive.

The site itself is rather brash to my taste.

So all in all I felt less inclined to buy rather than more so.

Hmm, a Chinese website with prices too low to be true, and all you have to do is buy some stuff (with free shipping!) using your credit card...

Sounds just fine to me... :wink:

Well to be fair, the prices aren't too good to be true. I am getting less. The problem I find with most online shopping is that although there are a sea of stores, there are not many options.

I just want the most basic parts. I press a button (wireles) and a relay switch flips.

I could gut a toy rc car for $20 but I'm left with all this waste. Their site offers a barebones item. So in theory, the price should be fitting to the product.

After reading online reviews it seems they are a legit company but their supply chain is junk and they short orders.

Back to the quest!

The problem I find with online shopping is that it's ALL in the verbage. Now that I have the right words I found it on amazon. :!)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006VQ8IDI/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It is a shame about dino direct. They offer good prices and they do not steal but it seems their logistics department is incompetent. Truly a shame.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool that you found it on Amazon!

berkeman said:
I'm not able to open the link from work (it's blocked for some reason). The output can handle either AC or DC. The input current at 12V should be specified, or they should give you a coil resistance that you can use to calculate the input current that you need to supply. Generally you need to drive the input coil at the rated voltage -- the relay may not actuate if you use a lower voltage (or your 12V source cannot source the required current at 12V). Have fun!

The relay is rated at 10 amps. But the radio circuitry does not include specs. Got it today!

I can't upload a picture, but the seller contacted me and gave me the chinese directions lol.

Operating voltage DC +6--24V
static state working current < 6MA
working temperature --40C-+80C
receiving sensitivity 105DBA
working band 315----433MHZ
output voltage : intercourse direct current
output current <10A

it uses this chip http://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/35134/PTC/PT2272-L4.html

The 6MA throws me off though. There aren't any batteries with that small an amperage. But batteries are rate in mAh not mA. What kind of battery should I use?

OK, after some research hear is my conclussion.

If I hooked up a million 12V batteries in parrallel it would not fry my device because the current is only related to the voltage and resistance. The circuit was designed for 12V so they knew the current draw at 12V.

I can hook up ANY <=12V battery and not damage the device.

Yes?

1. Can a relay use AC or DC?

Yes, a relay can use both AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current). It depends on the type of relay and its design.

2. How does a relay work with AC and DC?

A relay works by using an electromagnet to open and close a circuit. When an electric current flows through the coil of a relay, it creates a magnetic field that attracts the switch and causes it to close. This mechanism works for both AC and DC currents.

3. Are there different types of relays for AC and DC?

Yes, there are different types of relays designed specifically for AC or DC circuits. For AC circuits, there are electromechanical relays, solid-state relays, and reed relays. For DC circuits, there are also electromechanical and solid-state relays, as well as polarized relays.

4. Can a relay designed for AC be used for DC and vice versa?

In most cases, no. AC and DC relays have different designs and mechanisms, so they are not interchangeable. Using a relay designed for AC on a DC circuit or vice versa can cause malfunction or damage to the circuit.

5. How do I determine if a relay is suitable for AC or DC use?

You can determine the suitability of a relay for AC or DC use by checking its specifications. Look for the maximum voltage and current ratings, as well as the type of input and output signals. If the relay is not explicitly labeled for AC or DC use, consult the manufacturer's datasheet for more information.