Angular Frequency of Damped Oscillator

In summary, the angular frequency of the damped oscillator can be calculated using the formula ω0 = √(k/m), where k is the spring constant and m is the mass. The damping constant can also be used to calculate the damping ratio ζ using the formula ζ= c/(2√(mk)). In order to convert the given values of mass and spring stiffness to the correct units, some conversions may be necessary. However, it is important to note that ζ is not the same as the angular frequency and has a different unit. Referencing additional resources, such as the Wikipedia page on damped harmonic oscillators, may be helpful in understanding this problem.
cd6
1. What is the angular frequency of a damped oscillator whose spring stiffness is 15 cm with a 19.6 N mass and a damping constant of 15 kg/s?

2. ω0 = √(k/m) ----where k = spring constant and m=mass

ζ= c/(2√(mk)) -----where m = mass, k = spring constant, and c = damping constant

3. I first converted N to kg to get the mass. It resulted in ≈ 2 kg. The 15 cm would also be converted to .15 m. However, I don't know which formula to use. ζ is dimensionless but utilizes all three values given in the question; I need my answer in rad/s. The first equation using ω0, too, wouldn't give me those unit. I really just need a formula. This is my first post here, so I'm sorry if I'm lacking an appropriate description. I seriously just don't understand this problem. Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
cd6 said:
1. What is the angular frequency of a damped oscillator whose spring stiffness is 15 cm with a 19.6 N mass and a damping constant of 15 kg/s?

2. ω0 = √(k/m) ----where k = spring constant and m=mass

ζ= c/(2√(mk)) -----where m = mass, k = spring constant, and c = damping constant

3. I first converted N to kg to get the mass. It resulted in ≈ 2 kg. The 15 cm would also be converted to .15 m. However, I don't know which formula to use. ζ is dimensionless but utilizes all three values given in the question; I need my answer in rad/s. The first equation using ω0, too, wouldn't give me those unit. I really just need a formula. This is my first post here, so I'm sorry if I'm lacking an appropriate description. I seriously just don't understand this problem. Thank you in advance!

ζ is not the angular frequency of the damped oscillator.

Read
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_oscillator#Damped_harmonic_oscillator

The unit of angular frequency is 1/s. What is the unit of √(k/m)?

ehild

1. What is the definition of angular frequency in a damped oscillator?

The angular frequency of a damped oscillator is the rate at which the oscillations occur in the system, measured in radians per second. It is denoted by the symbol ω and is related to the frequency of oscillations (f) by the equation ω = 2πf.

2. How is the angular frequency affected by damping in a damped oscillator?

The damping in a damped oscillator reduces the amplitude and changes the behavior of the oscillations. This also affects the angular frequency, causing it to decrease over time as the oscillations lose energy due to damping.

3. Can the angular frequency of a damped oscillator be negative?

No, the angular frequency of a damped oscillator cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, representing the rate of oscillations in the system.

4. How is the angular frequency related to the natural frequency in a damped oscillator?

The natural frequency of a damped oscillator is the frequency at which the system would oscillate if there was no damping present. It is related to the angular frequency by the equation ωn = ω0√(1-(ζ/2)2), where ω0 is the undamped angular frequency and ζ is the damping ratio.

5. What is the significance of the angular frequency in a damped oscillator?

The angular frequency is a crucial parameter in understanding the behavior of a damped oscillator. It determines the rate at which the system oscillates and how it responds to external forces or disturbances. It is also used in calculating other important quantities such as the resonance frequency and the quality factor of the system.