Magnetic field of a coaxial cable

In summary, the cross-sectional view of a coaxial cable shows an inner conductor surrounded by a rubber layer and an outer conductor surrounded by another rubber layer. In a specific scenario, the current in the inner conductor is 1.86 A out of the page, and the current in the outer conductor is 2.13 A into the page. To determine the magnitude of the magnetic field at points a and b, Ampere's Law is used with the enclosed current being I2 - I1. Therefore, the magnetic field at point b can be calculated as mu*(I2 - I1)/(2*pi*0.006).
andrew410
The figure below is a cross-sectional view of a coaxial cable. The center conductor is surrounded by a rubber layer, which is surrounded by an outer conductor, which is surrounded by another rubber layer. In a particular application, the current in the inner conductor is 1.86 A out of the page, and the current in the outer conductor is 2.13 A into the page.

FIGURE: http://east.ilrn.com/graphing/bca/user/appletImage?dbid=802444537

(a) Determine the magnitude of the magnetic field at point a.
(b) Determine the magnitude of the magnetic field at point b.

I got part a, which is (mu*I1)/(2*pi*.002). I can't seem to get the right answer for part b. I tried (mu*I2)/(2*pi*.006), where I2 equals the current of the outer conductor. Also, I tried (mu*I3)/(2*pi*.002). All these still give me the wrong answer. What am I doing wrong?

Please help me...Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For b) you need to take a circular Amperian loop of radius 6mm, and the enclosed current is I2 - I1. So if you apply Ampere's Law, the answer is mu*(I2 - I1)/(2*pi*0.006).

(a) To find the magnetic field at point a, we can use the formula B = (mu0*I)/(2*pi*r), where mu0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance from the current. In this case, mu0 = 4*pi*10^-7 N/A^2, I = 1.86 A, and r = 0.002 m. Plugging these values in, we get B = (4*pi*10^-7*1.86)/(2*pi*0.002) = 5.88*10^-4 T.

(b) To find the magnetic field at point b, we need to consider the currents in both the inner and outer conductors. Since the current in the inner conductor is out of the page, it creates a magnetic field into the page at point b. Similarly, the current in the outer conductor is into the page, which also creates a magnetic field into the page at point b. Therefore, we need to add the magnetic fields from both currents.

Using the same formula as before, the magnetic field from the inner conductor at point b is B1 = (4*pi*10^-7*1.86)/(2*pi*0.002) = 5.88*10^-4 T. The magnetic field from the outer conductor at point b is B2 = (4*pi*10^-7*2.13)/(2*pi*0.006) = 1.77*10^-4 T. Adding these two values together, we get the total magnetic field at point b to be B = B1 + B2 = 5.88*10^-4 T + 1.77*10^-4 T = 7.65*10^-4 T.

So, the magnitude of the magnetic field at point b is 7.65*10^-4 T. It is important to note that the direction of the magnetic field at point b is into the page, as both currents are creating magnetic fields into the page.

1. What is a coaxial cable?

A coaxial cable is a type of electrical cable that consists of an inner conductor, a surrounding insulating layer, and an outer conducting shield. It is commonly used for transmitting high-frequency signals, such as in telecommunication and television applications.

2. How does a coaxial cable work?

A coaxial cable works by using the principle of electromagnetic induction. The inner conductor carries the electrical signal, while the outer conducting shield acts as a return path. The insulating layer between the two prevents interference and maintains the signal integrity.

3. What is the magnetic field of a coaxial cable?

The magnetic field of a coaxial cable is the magnetic field that is created around the cable when an electric current flows through it. It is perpendicular to the direction of the current and is strongest near the center of the cable.

4. How is the magnetic field of a coaxial cable calculated?

The magnetic field of a coaxial cable can be calculated using the Ampere's law, which states that the magnetic field is proportional to the current flowing through the cable and inversely proportional to the distance from the center of the cable.

5. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field in a coaxial cable?

The strength of the magnetic field in a coaxial cable is affected by the current carrying capacity of the inner conductor, the distance between the inner and outer conductors, and the material used for the conductors and insulating layer. Additionally, external factors such as nearby magnetic fields can also influence the strength of the magnetic field in a coaxial cable.