Chemistry and physics questions

In summary, the conversation is about the possibility of pursuing a career in chemistry research while also having an interest in physics. The questions revolve around the potential for movement between the two fields, and whether a degree in chemical engineering could lead to further studies in either chemistry or physics. The conversation also mentions the possibility of a fifth-year Master's in Materials Science and how it could potentially aid in getting into a theoretical chemistry or physics graduate school. Ultimately, the conversation suggests that a strong interest in both chemistry and physics could lead to a successful career in physical chemistry.
samjiyon23
Hi everyone! A couple of questions for you.

So, I'm thinking about pursuing a career in chemistry research BUT I also really like physics, so I'm not really sure which to choose...
-If I were to get a physics undergrad degree, could I move into chemistry?
-If I were to get a chemistry Ph.D. in, say, quantum chemistry, would I be able to do research in physics?
-Is it possible to go from a chemical engineering undergrad to a chemistry grad? How about to a physics grad?

Thanks in advance ^^

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, one more thing. The uni I hope to go to has an option for a B.S. in ChemE and then a fifth-year Master's in Materials Science. Would this perhaps help me get into a theoretical chemistry or physics (esp. condensed matter in this case) grad school?

I actually know people who have done that. I think the easiest thing would be to get a physics undergraduate degree and a physics or chemistry Ph.D. My research advisor is in theoretical physical chemistry and we work with theoretical physicists in condensed matter. He did his undergrad in physics and chemistry and his Ph.D in physics I believe. A grad student I know did his undergrad in chemical engineering, is finishing his Ph.D in physical chemistry and is looking for physics postdocs.

samjiyon23 said:
Hi everyone! A couple of questions for you.

So, I'm thinking about pursuing a career in chemistry research BUT I also really like physics, so I'm not really sure which to choose...
-If I were to get a physics undergrad degree, could I move into chemistry?
-If I were to get a chemistry Ph.D. in, say, quantum chemistry, would I be able to do research in physics?
-Is it possible to go from a chemical engineering undergrad to a chemistry grad? How about to a physics grad?

Thanks in advance ^^

In Physical Chemistry there is a lot of overlap with Physics. If your interests are chemistry and physics, that would probably be a good match for you.

If you're considering grad school in physics, check out this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=64966

As a scientist with experience in both chemistry and physics, I can tell you that both fields offer exciting and rewarding career paths. While there are some overlaps between the two, they also have distinct differences in terms of research focus and methodologies.

To answer your questions, it is definitely possible to transition from a physics undergrad degree to a career in chemistry research. Many research projects in chemistry involve elements of physics, such as quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and spectroscopy. In fact, having a strong background in physics can be beneficial in certain areas of chemistry research.

Similarly, a chemistry Ph.D. in a specialized field like quantum chemistry can open up opportunities for research in physics. Many physicists use computational methods and models similar to those used in quantum chemistry to study materials and phenomena at the atomic and molecular level.

As for transitioning from a chemical engineering undergrad to a chemistry or physics grad program, it is certainly possible but may require additional coursework or research experience to bridge any knowledge gaps. Chemical engineering tends to have a stronger focus on practical applications and industrial processes, whereas chemistry and physics research may have a more fundamental and theoretical approach.

Ultimately, the best choice for you will depend on your interests and strengths. I suggest exploring both fields through coursework, internships, or research experiences to gain a better understanding of which path aligns with your goals and passions. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

1. What is the difference between chemistry and physics?

Chemistry is the study of matter and the changes it undergoes, while physics is the study of energy and the laws that govern the behavior of matter and energy.

2. How are chemistry and physics related?

Chemistry and physics are closely related as both sciences deal with the fundamental properties and behavior of matter and energy. Many concepts and principles in chemistry have their roots in physics, and vice versa.

3. What is the role of chemistry in our daily lives?

Chemistry plays a vital role in our daily lives, from the food we eat to the products we use. It helps us understand the properties of materials and how they can be manipulated to create new products and technologies.

4. What is the role of physics in our understanding of the universe?

Physics is essential in helping us understand the universe and the laws that govern it. From the smallest subatomic particles to the vast expanse of space, physics provides us with a framework for understanding the complexity of the universe.

5. What are some real-world applications of chemistry and physics?

The applications of chemistry and physics are vast and diverse. Some examples include the development of new medicines, the production of renewable energy sources, the design of new materials, and the study of climate change and its impact on our planet.