Summer 2013 Math and Science REU Thread

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of applying for REU programs, with participants sharing the programs they are applying to and discussing the possibility of grouping together related subjects in one thread. They also discuss their experiences with the application process and ask questions about recommendations and whether being an older student may be considered an underrepresented group. Participants also share their acceptance and rejection from programs, and discuss the workload and the potential of taking online courses while participating in an REU.
I accepted an offer to the astronomy REU at UW-Madison. Anyone else going there?

Physics news on Phys.org
Accepted to Iowa State Math REU. Anyone else going? :)

jasonnn said:
Accepted to Iowa State Math REU. Anyone else going? :)

Hey -- I'm going! Which project are you doing?

Matrix Theory! :)

Anyone doing REMRSEC at CSM?

Idaho sent out rejections. Anyone else going to LSU?

Has anyone heard from University of Washington or Rutgers for math REU? I haven't heard back anything.

Got accepted to Jet Propulsion Lab.

dustbin said:
Rejected from the SUNY Potsdam/Clarkson REU.

dustbin, did you get an email or did you have to ask? I haven't received any information from SUNY-Postdam.

mathskier said:
Does anyone know whether an REU would be considered an internship? Fellowship? Something else?

Yo, I know you asked this a bit ago...but federally it is a *fellowship*. That's how my tax information processed.

Realistically? It's basically a research internship, but the money is actually allocated as a fellowship.

[At least that's how DOE does it, I'm assuming NSF does it the same way]

So I applied some places, got into two of them, and I'll be at the Louisiana State University program on "Invariants in Galois Theory, Geometry and Knot theory" this summer. I'm pretty stoked. Will anyone else be there?

So I applied some places, got into two of them, and I'll be at the Louisiana State University program on "Invariants in Galois Theory, Geometry and Knot theory" this summer. I'm pretty stoked. Will anyone else be there?
Me! I'm doing computational material science stuff with LaSigma

leprachaundud said:
Accepted an offer to MSU, anyone else?
I also accepted an offer at MSU! :)

I'm a little bit disappointed in the outcome of my REU applications. I had the REU Facilitator at my university look over my statements, etc and he thought they were strong (and helped edit them a bit). Being a non-traditional student, I had to explain my change from a C-student 15 years ago, to an A-student now - which he felt was a big deal. I have significant programming experience, experience working with large projects, a high recent GPA, and decently specific interests within astrophysics.

Out of 12 applications, 4 sites didn't get funding (after taking applications), and I got rejected by the rest :(

This is disheartening. I know that Ph.D programs aren't /quite/ as competitive, but it's still worrisome - especially when I'll be attempting to apply to some of the same programs for grad school. However, I guess even the golden-boy undergrad at my university got rejected by 1/2 of his REUs (but eventually did get several acceptances).

mege said:
I'm a little bit disappointed in the outcome of my REU applications. I had the REU Facilitator at my university look over my statements, etc and he thought they were strong (and helped edit them a bit). Being a non-traditional student, I had to explain my change from a C-student 15 years ago, to an A-student now - which he felt was a big deal. I have significant programming experience, experience working with large projects, a high recent GPA, and decently specific interests within astrophysics.

Out of 12 applications, 4 sites didn't get funding (after taking applications), and I got rejected by the rest :(

This is disheartening. I know that Ph.D programs aren't /quite/ as competitive, but it's still worrisome - especially when I'll be attempting to apply to some of the same programs for grad school. However, I guess even the golden-boy undergrad at my university got rejected by 1/2 of his REUs (but eventually did get several acceptances).

REU acceptances are incredibly hard to predict or even understand. Different programs have completely different criteria. For example, one of my friends got into Harvard but got rejected from Wyoming. Some programs care mostly about minority status. Others care almost entirely about merit. Certainly your age and your past did not help in addition to these criteria. Also, what is an "REU Facilitator"? If your school has its own REU, that means you do have research opportunities, and that can actually be frowned upon.

Not only are graduate programs less competitive based on number of applications per spot, but the criteria for admission is much more universal and clear compared to REU programs.

If there are enough people still monitoring this thread then I could make a survey asking some general demographic information along with number of programs applied to and number of acceptances. I think people in next year's version of this thread would find it interesting. Though I worry that at this point the number of responses would be low.

Takuza said:
If there are enough people still monitoring this thread then I could make a survey asking some general demographic information along with number of programs applied to and number of acceptances. I think people in next year's version of this thread would find it interesting. Though I worry that at this point the number of responses would be low.

I think it would be worth a try.

Here is a survey for everyone who participated in this thread:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/XZN6565

This information is interesting and could be helpful to forum members next year, so please participate!

If anyone would like to make a better version or suggest improved questions, feel free. There was a 10 question limit

Last edited:
It would have been useful to also ask how many REUs lost funding, and how many REUs actually responded. Unfortunate for the 10 question limit. :P

Mmm_Pasta said:
It would have been useful to also ask how many REUs lost funding, and how many REUs actually responded. Unfortunate for the 10 question limit. :P

Yea, its unfortunate, but can't complain about free services : P

I noticed that I didn't have " 0 acceptances" as an option, and we have already had 14 responses. I corrected the poll, and should that change have been relevant to anyone, please PM so I can make a note of it. Alternatively, if you can figure out a way to edit your answers, do that : P

Additionally, I don't know if the analyzation tools are available to survey participants, but if not I will post the correlated info graphs in a few weeks, since that's the part that is really informative. Thanks again everyone.

Stengah said:
REU acceptances are incredibly hard to predict or even understand. Different programs have completely different criteria. For example, one of my friends got into Harvard but got rejected from Wyoming. Some programs care mostly about minority status. Others care almost entirely about merit. Certainly your age and your past did not help in addition to these criteria. Also, what is an "REU Facilitator"? If your school has its own REU, that means you do have research opportunities, and that can actually be frowned upon.

Not only are graduate programs less competitive based on number of applications per spot, but the criteria for admission is much more universal and clear compared to REU programs.

My (major) university does not have any astronomy researchers, which is part of why I was applying for REUs with an astronomy focus. The single faculty involved in physics education (whom I do outreach for) has an astronomy background and teaches a single upper-division astrophysics class each year. This research deficiency was discussed in my letters, especially since I came from a Physics Ph.D. granting institution. I was notified of my status on a longlist/waitlist at 2 different locations so I know that I was close some places.

I understand the competitive (and somewhat random/ad hoc) nature, but it still doesn't make the outcome any less disappointing. I just hope that others, who may read this thread, see that not everyone gets accepted (I'm not looking for any confirmation that I may have been a sub-par candidate or looking to 'fight the system').

A quick question. I accepted an offer from an REU last Monday; however, I have not heard anything from them since then. The deadline for acceptance was the 17th, though if people that had been wait-listed were given offers the deadline would probably be extended for them, so I would think that the program would know who is going by now.

Is it common to not hear anything for about a week after you have accepted? I figured there would be an acknowledgment email or one confirming information and setting up travel plans.

the_green_book said:
A quick question. I accepted an offer from an REU last Monday; however, I have not heard anything from them since then. The deadline for acceptance was the 17th, though if people that had been wait-listed were given offers the deadline would probably be extended for them, so I would think that the program would know who is going by now.

Is it common to not hear anything for about a week after you have accepted? I figured there would be an acknowledgment email or one confirming information and setting up travel plans.

Varies from program to program. Email and ask, though.

Mmm_Pasta said:
Varies from program to program. Email and ask, though.

Thanks for the advice. They actually emailed a little while before I was going to send the follow-up, so I guess no need now. I'm just relieved to have my plans set for the summer.

Thanks again for your input.

New Math REU at UConn

The NSF made a late decision to fund a Math REU site at UConn this year. Applications have just opened (for a week!), so go quickly to

http://www.mathprograms.org/db/uconn
http://mathreu.uconn.edu

and apply!

(Some details are not yet up on the website, but are coming soon!)

Luke Rogers, REU coordinator.

Last edited:
Luke, would you mind posting a link to the website? The actual website not the application page, that is, unless they are one in the same. Thanks.