More observed Beta sheets than Alpha helices as temperature increases

In summary, an experimental study has found that alpha helices are formed more often than beta sheets at low temperatures, but as the temperature increases, the beta sheets become more common. The increase in temperature causes the outer hydrogen bonds to break, leading to an increase in the hydrophobic effect. However, it is unclear how this affects the likelihood of beta sheets forming over alpha helices. The goal is to find a possible explanation for this phenomenon.
Ran4
From an experimental study I've found that alpha helices are formed more often than beta sheets when the temperature is low, but when the temperature increases the beta sheets becomes more common. I'm trying to figure out why.

As temperature increases, the outer hydrogen bonds of a structure will start to break, which will increase the hydrophobic effect, but how does that make beta sheets more common? Or is that not relevant in deciding which structure is most likely to form?

Physics news on Phys.org

Ran4 said:
From an experimental study I've found that alpha helices are formed more often than beta sheets when the temperature is low, but when the temperature increases the beta sheets becomes more common. I'm trying to figure out why.

As temperature increases, the outer hydrogen bonds of a structure will start to break, which will increase the hydrophobic effect, but how does that make beta sheets more common? Or is that not relevant in deciding which structure is most likely to form?

I doubt I could be the one to answer this but here is just no context provoded for anyone to answer except by guessing what you are talking about. Experimental study of exactly what by what methods?

epenguin said:
I doubt I could be the one to answer this but here is just no context provoded for anyone to answer except by guessing what you are talking about. Experimental study of exactly what by what methods?

I don't know. The goal of the task is to just find some reason as to why beta sheets are more common at higher temperatures. There is very little information given.

1. Why are there more observed Beta sheets than Alpha helices as temperature increases?

This phenomenon is due to the fact that Beta sheets are more stable at higher temperatures compared to Alpha helices. As the temperature increases, the hydrogen bonds in Alpha helices become weaker and break, causing them to unfold and transition into Beta sheets.

2. How does temperature affect the structure of proteins?

The structure of proteins is highly dependent on temperature. As the temperature increases, the kinetic energy of the molecules also increases, causing them to vibrate more. This can disrupt the weak interactions that hold the protein structure together, leading to a change in its structure.

3. Is there a specific temperature at which the transition from Alpha helices to Beta sheets occurs?

There is no specific temperature at which this transition occurs. It depends on the protein's amino acid sequence and its overall stability. Some proteins may have a higher tolerance for temperature changes and maintain their Alpha helix structure, while others may easily transition to Beta sheets.

4. How do Beta sheets and Alpha helices differ in terms of stability?

Beta sheets are generally more stable than Alpha helices, especially at higher temperatures. This is due to the fact that Beta sheets have more hydrogen bonds, which are stronger and more resistant to thermal disruptions compared to the weaker hydrogen bonds present in Alpha helices.

5. What other factors can contribute to the transition from Alpha helices to Beta sheets?

Aside from temperature, other factors such as pH, ionic strength, and the presence of denaturing agents can also affect the stability of proteins and contribute to the transition from Alpha helices to Beta sheets. These factors can disrupt the interactions that hold the protein structure together, leading to changes in its conformation.