How we measure magnetic disturbances?

In summary, the conversation is about measuring the By component of the magnetic field with low orbit satellites to measure Birkeland currents. The equation J=0.1ΔΒy/Δt is used to measure the time derivative dBy/dt. The speaker is asking for help in understanding what indicators or parameters of the magnetic field, such as H, AE, and AU, can be associated with dBy/dt and how to use a magnetometer to measure it. The suggested method is to orient the magnetometer along the y direction and take readings at closely spaced times to approximate the time derivative.
stavrospao
Due to a homework,i want to measure "ΔBy" component with low orbit satellites,so i can measure Birkeland currents.Does anyone Know how to do it?For example i use the equation J=0.1ΔΒy/Δt.What should magnetometers data measure?Do they measure ΔBy or some other indicator that associates with By?If so,how this associates with By?(It would be too time consuming for me to search for it on the internet because of my English level).Thanks very much.

P.S. Links accepted...

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you explain what ΔBy is? The Δ implies it is a difference in the y component of magnetic field with respect to something, but what? Are you trying to compute the time derivative dBy/dt?

First of all thanks for the reply.Secondly,I made a wrong..I want to measure By component(not ΔBy as i mentioned).I gave you the formula(J=0.1ΔΒy/Δt)..I think this is what i try to measure(dBy/dt,Δ is like d..)but i don't know how to do it..

Last edited:
You want to use a magnetometer. There are many varieties, but fluxgate magnetometers have a long heritage in spacecraft applications.

I know that i must use a magnetometer..but magnetometers measure several indicators(or parameters) of the magnetic field such as H,AE,AU and others..my problem is how can i associate,let's say the H indicator with dBy/dt.thanks anyway

I don't know what AE or AU is. Orient your magnetometer along the direction y. You can approximate the time derivative by taking readings at closely spaced times (separated by intervals of τ) and forming the quantity
[tex]\frac{\Delta B_y}{\Delta t}=\frac{B_y(t+\tau)-B_y(t)}{\tau}.[/tex]

1. How do we measure magnetic disturbances in the Earth's magnetic field?

Magnetic disturbances in the Earth's magnetic field can be measured using a magnetometer, which is a device that detects and measures changes in the strength and direction of magnetic fields.

2. What units are used to measure magnetic disturbances?

The most commonly used unit to measure magnetic disturbances is the nanotesla (nT). Other units such as milligauss (mG) and gamma (γ) may also be used in some cases.

3. What causes magnetic disturbances?

Magnetic disturbances can be caused by a variety of factors, including solar storms, lightning strikes, and human-made sources such as power lines and electronic devices.

4. How do we differentiate between natural and human-caused magnetic disturbances?

Magnetic disturbances caused by natural sources tend to have a more gradual and consistent pattern, while those caused by human activities may have sudden spikes or fluctuations. Additionally, the location and intensity of the disturbance can also help determine the source.

5. How do magnetic disturbances affect our daily lives?

Magnetic disturbances can disrupt the operation of electronic devices such as compasses, GPS systems, and communication systems. They can also interfere with power grids and cause damage to satellites and spacecraft. However, the Earth's magnetic field acts as a shield, protecting us from harmful radiation from the sun, so magnetic disturbances can also be beneficial in that sense.