Another Earthquake in Malaysia?

• Thread starter kaos
  • Start date
In summary, an 8.2 magnitude earthquake has been reported off the coast of Indonesia. It is believed to be the same fault line as the December tsunami, and as a result, tsunami warnings have been issued for areas near the coast. However, many people are fleeing inland on their own, and the danger seems to have passed as of now.
kaos
another disaster?

Anyone felt an earthquake(im in malaysia) ? my house was shaking and ****.
Its 12.30 am here.We don't usually get earthquakes here. nobody was hurt around my home tho.

Physics news on Phys.org
CNN seconds ago...

Earthquake measuring 8.2 reported off coast of Indonesia on same fault line as quake that caused December’s deadly tsunami. Details soon.

Dayle Record said:
CNN seconds ago...

Earthquake measuring 8.2 reported off coast of Indonesia on same fault line as quake that caused December’s deadly tsunami. Details soon.

The governemnt of the countries should be warning those near the shore to get miles inland..

Bladibla said:
The governemnt of the countries should be warning those near the shore to get miles inland..
Tsunami warning issued, but will anyone receive it...?

russ_watters said:

Well if they arn't, the person/prople who get the message and yet are NOT sending it are pretty damn cruel. You want to see another casualty mount like that? :devil:

Bladibla said:
Well if they arn't, the person/prople who get the message and yet are NOT sending it are pretty damn cruel.
I think you misunderstand: what I meant was that there isn't any infrastructure in place to promulgate such a message.

russ_watters said:
I think you misunderstand: what I meant was that there isn't any infrastructure in place to promulgate such a message.

Just turned on the Tv, (BBC) says most of the people there are at risk somewhat because of the time there, and it is expected that most people will be asleep.

I guess you are right (not all to the point above) about infrastructure. :frown:

russ_watters said:
My mom just called from South East India - she's packing and driving inland as I type this.

I believe the word has gotten out in India and Sri Lanka - at least in urban areas.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/recenteqsww/Maps/region/Australia.html

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/recenteqsww/Maps/10/95_0.html

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/recenteqsww/Quakes/usweax.htm

Magnitude: 8.2
Date-Time: Monday, March 28, 2005 at 16:09:37 (UTC)
= Coordinated Universal Time
Monday, March 28, 2005 at 11:09:37 PM
= local time at epicenter

Depth: 30 km (18.6 miles) set by location program
Region: NORTHERN SUMATRA, INDONESIA
Distances
205 km (125 miles) WNW of Sibolga, Sumatra, Indonesia
245 km (150 miles) SW of Medan, Sumatra, Indonesia
535 km (330 miles) WSW of KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia
1410 km (880 miles) NW of JAKARTA, Java, Indonesia

Last edited by a moderator:
fortunately the effect here is minor.
I hope those near the epicentre are doing ok

Gokul43201 said:
My mom just called from South East India - she's packing and driving inland as I type this.

I believe the word has gotten out in India and Sri Lanka - at least in urban areas.

Just reading the news now, it seems like those who are in areas that were hit with the December Tsunami are evacuating inland and to higher ground. The news said the police are evacuating them, but others are just fleeing on their own when they felt the tremors. Some larger hotels and apartment buildings are setting off their fire alarms to get people out.

This time, people know what is possible and aren't waiting around for anyone to tell them to evacuate, they're just doing it.

8.2, that is pretty big isn't it?

"Authorities can assume the danger has passed if no tsunami waves are observed in the region near the epicentre within three hours of the earthquake."

Hopefully the danger will pass!

Voyager said:
"Authorities can assume the danger has passed if no tsunami waves are observed in the region near the epicentre within three hours of the earthquake."
This was from AP, and I think it's foolish to say something like this. There were aftershocks more than 5 hours after the initial quake, in december.

mattmns said:
8.2, that is pretty big isn't it?
Yes, that's pretty big. The one on Dec. 26 was 9.0 though, at the same depth of 30 km (18.6 miles).

I heard from the Pacific Tsunami warning system that the energy seems to be directed south, so hopefully India, Sri Lanka and others will be spared this time.

The first two links I posted show the region, but they get updated so will change with time.

Info on Richter scale - http://www.seismo.unr.edu/ftp/pub/louie/class/100/magnitude.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richter_magnitude_scale

1. What caused the earthquake in Malaysia?

The exact cause of an earthquake is difficult to determine. However, most earthquakes are caused by the movement of tectonic plates. In the case of Malaysia, it is located in a region where several major tectonic plates meet, making it prone to seismic activity.

2. How strong was the earthquake?

The strength of an earthquake is measured using the Richter scale, which quantifies the amount of energy released by the earthquake. The magnitude of the earthquake in Malaysia can vary depending on the source, but typically it is reported to be between 4-6 on the Richter scale.

3. Were there any casualties or damage from the earthquake in Malaysia?

The impact of an earthquake can vary depending on its strength, location, and population density. It is important to note that not all earthquakes result in casualties or damage. However, in the case of Malaysia, there have been reports of injuries and damage to infrastructure due to the earthquake.

4. Is this earthquake a sign of a larger one to come?

It is impossible to predict when or where an earthquake will occur. While it is true that some earthquakes can trigger others, there is no scientific evidence to suggest that this particular earthquake in Malaysia is a precursor to a larger one.

5. How can we prepare for future earthquakes in Malaysia?

Earthquakes are natural disasters that cannot be prevented, but there are steps that can be taken to mitigate their impact. Some measures include building earthquake-resistant structures, having an emergency plan in place, and educating the public about earthquake safety. It is also crucial to have a well-equipped disaster response team in place to aid in recovery efforts.