Effective atomic number for a mixture (with components concentration)

In summary, the effective atomic number for a silver-water mixture with a concentration of 10 mg/M is 47.
sci_girl
Assume we have a concentration of any specific material (in mg/M). Let's say for example: Ag (Z=47) with concentration 10 mg/M in water (H2O, Z=7.42).

How can I calculate the effective atomic number (Zeff.) for the silver-water mixture if the concentration of silver was 10 mg/M for example?

The only formula I know to calculate Zeff. is the following:

efe25af14b6a9e88727a42c54d8a1711.png

but it uses (fn) the fraction of the total number of electrons associated with each element, not the concentration in mg/M.

Is there any possible way to convert the concentration (in mg/M) into a fraction of total number of electrons for silver then calculate Zeff for the silver-water mixture mentioned above as an example?

Thanks in advance.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effective_atomic_number (example for H2O provided)

Physics news on Phys.org
Based on the atomic masses of silver, hydrogen, and oxygen, you can convert their masses to atom counts.

Silver has a molar mass of 107.8682 grams.
So for instance 10 mg of Silver is 0.010 / 107.8682 moles.

Likes 1 person
I like Serena said:
Based on the atomic masses of silver, hydrogen, and oxygen, you can convert their masses to atom counts.

Silver has a molar mass of 107.8682 grams.
So for instance 10 mg of Silver is 0.010 / 107.8682 moles.

Thanks for the response. that's for my second question..
but how can I apply this to calculate the Zeff for the silver-water mixture using the formula in the original post above (or any other formula) ?

I'm a bit confused about your unit mg/M.
What does it mean?
Afaik 1 M = 1 mol/L.

Anyway, if you have 10 mg silver in 1 kilogram water, you have:
0.010 / 107.8682 moles silver
1000 / 18 moles water, consisting of 2000 / 18 moles hydrogen, and 1000 / 18 moles oxygen.

Therefore the number of silver electrons is 47 x 0.010 / 107.8682.
The number of hydrogen electrons is 1 x 2000 / 18.
And the number of oxygen electrons is 8 x 1000 / 18.

From this you can calculate first the fractions, and then the Zeff.

sorry, I've been busy with exams.

Thanks a lot. your last post was very helpful.

I take it you've already taken the exam on this subject... successfully?

not on this subject specifically but it helped me to figure things out... I was not convinced that mg/M is even a concentration unit, it confused me but I think I've got it all clear now. Thank you <3

What is an effective atomic number for a mixture?

The effective atomic number for a mixture is a calculated value that represents the average atomic number of all the elements present in the mixture. It takes into account the relative concentrations of each element and their atomic numbers to provide a single value that describes the overall composition of the mixture.

Why is the effective atomic number important?

The effective atomic number is important because it can be used to predict the physical and chemical properties of a mixture. It also helps in understanding the behavior of the mixture under different conditions and in determining its applications in various fields, such as material science, medicine, and environmental studies.

How is the effective atomic number calculated?

The effective atomic number is calculated by taking the weighted average of the atomic numbers of all the elements in the mixture, with the weight being the concentration of each element. This can be done using a mathematical formula or through specialized software.

What factors can affect the effective atomic number of a mixture?

The effective atomic number of a mixture can be affected by the type and concentrations of the elements present, as well as the energy or wavelength of the radiation being used to measure it. Other factors such as temperature, pressure, and chemical reactions can also influence the effective atomic number.

How is the effective atomic number used in practical applications?

The effective atomic number is used in various practical applications, such as in the design and optimization of materials for specific purposes, in medical imaging and radiation therapy, in environmental monitoring and assessment, and in the study of geological and biological samples. It can also be used to identify unknown substances or to determine the purity of a mixture.