Entertaining review of digital storage oscilloscope

In summary, the conversation is about a person considering buying a DSO for home use and sharing video reviews of the scope. The videos are 30-40 minutes long and provide insight on the scope's noise floor and construction. The person also mentions that the reviewer gets very excited in his demonstrations, but doesn't seem very knowledgeable about the equipment. They also suggest considering a better scope with a higher frequency range.
Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
I'm thinking of buying this nice DSO for under 1k $US for home use. It's the 70 MHz model in the Rigol DS2000 series.

But that's not why I'm posting. I wanted to share these video reviews of the scope which are a real hoot -- provided you have spent a lot of your time using oscilloscopes yourself.

The videos are 30-40 minutes each, but even watching for a few minutes is worthwhile.

Here the good stuff starts at about 9:30, where there is a good discussion of the noise floor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRy755StMak​

Here he takes the scope apart and reviews the construction and design. I didn't understand half of it, but my background isn't in EE design:
http://www.eevblog.com/2012/09/26/eevblog-360-rigol-ds2000-oscilloscope-teardown/

Engineering news on Phys.org
That guy sure has some enthusiasm. I like how he gets especially excited when he sees heat-shrink tubing :approve:

70 MHz would barely let you view a 10 MHz square wave. Consider getting a better one if you can.

That guy's voice gets higher in pitch as he gets more excited. I wish he would become familiar with the equipment before he demonstrates it.

I saw him pull a photocopier apart. Everything was "amazing" but he had no idea what it all did.

1. What is a digital storage oscilloscope?

A digital storage oscilloscope (DSO) is a type of electronic test instrument used to capture, analyze, and display electronic signals. It is commonly used in scientific, engineering, and telecommunications industries to measure various electrical parameters such as voltage, current, and frequency.

2. How does a digital storage oscilloscope work?

A DSO works by sampling and converting analog signals into digital data, which is then stored in memory. This data is then displayed on a screen as a waveform, providing a visual representation of the signal's amplitude and frequency. DSOs also have various features such as trigger settings and waveform analysis tools to help users accurately measure and analyze signals.

3. What are the advantages of using a digital storage oscilloscope?

Compared to traditional analog oscilloscopes, DSOs have higher bandwidth, faster sampling rates, and larger storage capacities. They are also more compact and portable, making them easier to use in a variety of settings. Additionally, DSOs offer advanced features such as automatic measurements and signal analysis, making them more efficient and accurate for data analysis.

4. What should I consider when choosing a digital storage oscilloscope?

When selecting a DSO, some important factors to consider include bandwidth, sampling rate, memory depth, and number of channels. It is also important to consider the intended use and the specific features and capabilities needed for your application. Price and brand reputation are also important considerations.

5. How do I interpret the waveform displayed on a digital storage oscilloscope?

The waveform displayed on a DSO shows the amplitude and frequency of the signal being measured. The horizontal axis represents time, while the vertical axis represents voltage. The shape and characteristics of the waveform can provide valuable information about the signal, such as its frequency, amplitude, and any distortions or noise present. DSOs also have tools such as cursors and measurements to help users accurately interpret the waveform.