Kinetic energy of wheel/tyre when braking

In summary, the kinetic energy of the moving car itself follows the old rule of 1/2mv2. However, the kinetic energy of the wheels and tires must be added together to get the total kinetic energy of the car. The kinetic energy of a 12kg wheel/tyre with a rolling diameter of .575m, assuming the 'centre of mass' to be at 75% of the rolling radius as 57kJ. (30ms = 105 rad/s) is substantial addition to the total kinetic energy over four wheels.
Kozy
I have been doing some working on braking energies, and have hit a bit of confusion with regards to the kinetic energy of the wheels and tyres.

Obviously, the kinetic energy of the moving car itself follows the old rule of 1/2mv2.

For a 1000kg car at 30ms that's then 450kJ.

I have then calculated the kinetic energy of a 12kg wheel/tyre with a rolling diameter of .575m, assuming the 'centre of mass' to be at 75% of the rolling radius as 57kJ. (30ms = 105 rad/s)

This seems substantial addition to the total kinetic energy over four wheels. Now, assuming I have not made a big mistake (I may well have done), should that 228kJ be added to the 450kJ of the moving vehicle, giving me a total of 678kJ of energy that must be removed from the car to bring it to a standstill? Or is it somehow absorbed into the 450kJ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Kozy! :smile:

I haven't checked your calculations,

but they must be wrong, since the "rolling mass" of the wheels should be half the actual mass of the wheels.

tiny-tim said:
Hi Kozy! :smile:

I haven't checked your calculations,

but they must be wrong, since the "rolling mass" of the wheels should be half the actual mass of the wheels.

Could you expand on this? I am not familiar with that...

If you do all the calculations, you find that a rolling object of mass m, moment of inertia I, and rolling radius r, behaves like an object of total mass m + mr,

(eg a force F will give it a linear acceleration of F/(m + mr))

where mr is the rolling mass, or equivalent mass, equal to I/r2 :smile:

(and so mr for a uniform disc = m/2)

a hollow disc , yes, but a solid disc, no. I =1/2Mr^2 vs I =MR^2
hollow disc acts like 2x the mass Is sitting in the car,
solid might be as low as 1.3x the mass as if it was sitting in the car, depending on the mass distribution of the disc.

Likes mheslep
The mass of the wheels is included in the mass of the car, so calculate the linear KE @ ½ * 1000 * 30 ²
Now calculate the rotational KE of 1 wheel at 30 m/s:
Start with the rolling radius (r) : = 0.2875 m
The radius of gyration (k) = 0.75 * 0.2875 = 0.2156 m
The moment of inertia (i) = m * k ² = 0.5579 kg-m ²
The rortation rate (w) at 30 m/s = v/r = 30 / 0.2875 = 104.35 rad/sec
The rotational KE at 30 m/s = ½ * i * w ² = 3,037.5 J
Multiply by 4:
12,150 J
Add to linear KE

dean barry said:
The mass of the wheels is included in the mass of the car, so calculate the linear KE @ ½ * 1000 * 30 ²
Now calculate the rotational KE of 1 wheel at 30 m/s:
Start with the rolling radius (r) : = 0.2875 m
The radius of gyration (k) = 0.75 * 0.2875 = 0.2156 m
The moment of inertia (i) = m * k ² = 0.5579 kg-m ²
The rortation rate (w) at 30 m/s = v/r = 30 / 0.2875 = 104.35 rad/sec
The rotational KE at 30 m/s = ½ * i * w ² = 3,037.5 J
Multiply by 4:
12,150 J
Add to linear KE
You have calculated all that weight to be at the tire, not the wheel. if the wheel and it is distributed like a disc, then "I" is 1/2mr^2
if you did it correct, the KE of the weight at the outer diameter vs weight in the car would be equal and additive.

It can't be considered a disc. The mass distribution isn't that simple.
But if you have the radius of gyration and mass you can calculate the moment of inertia, with that and the rolling radius you can calculate the rotational KE.
Each wheel has both linear and rotating KE.

dean barry said:
It can't be considered a disc. The mass distribution isn't that simple.
But if you have the radius of gyration and mass you can calculate the moment of inertia, with that and the rolling radius you can calculate the rotational KE.
Each wheel has both linear and rotating KE.
I know ,that's why I said it the inertial of the weight if on the tire, is like a hollow disc, and I would be I=MR^2. that weight would be like if the mass was attached on a mass less radius cord, and its center was close to the OD of the tire. (so its going to be a little off due the width (thickness of the tire... or in other words, all the mass is not at the outer diameter, its down toward the center slightly, thus it is not a 'slippless" calculation vs the linear KE equiv. (so slightly less than the linear KE)
However, the wheel could be considered a Disc, and use I=1/2MR^2, if the mass is evenly distributed . best case even if it was, the rotational KE would be less than 1/2 that of the linear KE. (depending on the wheel diameter vs the overall wheel and tire diameter)

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is directly proportional to the mass and velocity of an object.

2. How is kinetic energy related to wheel/tyre braking?

When a wheel/tyre is in motion, it possesses kinetic energy. When the brakes are applied, the friction between the brake pads and the wheel/tyre converts this kinetic energy into heat energy, causing the wheel/tyre to slow down and eventually stop.

3. What factors affect the kinetic energy of a wheel/tyre when braking?

The kinetic energy of a wheel/tyre when braking is affected by its mass, velocity, and the coefficient of friction between the brake pads and the wheel/tyre. A heavier wheel/tyre with a higher velocity and a higher coefficient of friction will have a greater amount of kinetic energy that needs to be dissipated when braking.

4. How is the kinetic energy of a wheel/tyre calculated?

The kinetic energy of a wheel/tyre can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2 * m * v^2, where E is the kinetic energy, m is the mass of the wheel/tyre, and v is the velocity at which it is moving.

5. What are the potential consequences of high kinetic energy when braking?

High kinetic energy when braking can lead to excessive heat buildup in the wheel/tyre, which can cause it to overheat and potentially fail. It can also put additional strain on the braking system, leading to increased wear and tear. Additionally, high kinetic energy can make it more difficult to stop the wheel/tyre, increasing the risk of accidents and collisions.