Machine A and machine B are performing the same task

• Thread starter edwin.07
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Machine
In summary, I would choose machine B. Lots of disorder = high entropy, while order = low entropy. Why do you prefer order (and where)? ;)
edwin.07
1. Machine A and machine B are performing the same task. Machine A is causing twice the entropy change of machine B. Which would you rather use and why?

3. I would choose Machine B. Lots of disorder = high entropy, while order = low entropy.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you prefer order (and where)? ;)
I think we have to assume that the product is the same in both cases, otherwise it clearly depends on the quality of the product.

1. Machine A and machine B are performing the same task. Machine A is causing twice the entropy change of machine B. Which would you rather use and why?

It says "entropy change" not "entropy increase" or "entropy decrease". Presumably the "change" is in the required direction or you wouldn't use either machine!

So I would choose machine A as it appears to be twice as effective at doing what you want.

CWatters said:
It says "entropy change" not "entropy increase" or "entropy decrease". Presumably the "change" is in the required direction or you wouldn't use either machine!

So I would choose machine A as it appears to be twice as effective at doing what you want.
I think edwin.07 correctly identified the direction the total entropy of the system has to take.
If those entropy changes are meant for specific parts of the setup only, the question becomes very unclear.

Ok yes. The total entropy of a closed system only ever increases. So if the entropy of the wanted output is the same for both then the extra entropy created by machine A must represent extra losses/inefficiency.

The choice depends upon how you want to define 'the same task' - ie is it a single task or repetative?

Machine A could be two machine B's working in tandem.
Then which do you choose?
and why?

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between Machine A and Machine B?

Machine A and Machine B may have different designs, components, or programming, but they are both capable of performing the same task.

2. Which machine is better for performing the task?

It depends on the specific task and the criteria for measuring performance. Both machines may have different strengths and weaknesses, so it is important to evaluate them based on the specific needs and requirements.

3. How do you determine which machine is more efficient?

The efficiency of a machine can be measured by the amount of time, resources, and energy it takes to complete the task. It is important to compare these factors for both Machine A and Machine B to determine which one is more efficient.

4. Can Machine A and Machine B work together to perform the task?

In some cases, Machine A and Machine B can work together to perform the task more efficiently. This is known as collaborative automation and involves coordinating the actions of both machines to complete the task.

5. Which machine is more cost-effective?

The cost-effectiveness of a machine depends on various factors such as initial cost, maintenance, and operational costs. It is important to consider all of these factors to determine which machine is more cost-effective for performing the task.