More Believe In God Than Heaven: Fox News

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    News
In summary: I know it rings a bell. I'm just surprised it's still around.In summary, the majority of Americans believe in God, heaven, and miracles. Belief in the devil has increased slightly over the last few years.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Fully 92 percent of Americans say they believe in God, 85 percent in heaven and 82 percent in miracles, according to the latest FOX News poll. Though belief in God has remained at about the same level, belief in the devil has increased slightly over the last few years — from 63 percent in 1997 to 71 percent today.

The national poll, conducted by Opinion Dynamics Corporation (search), shows that about a third of Americans believe in ghosts (34 percent) and an equal number in UFOs (34 percent), and about a quarter accept things like astrology (search) (29 percent), reincarnation (search) (25 percent) and witches (24 percent).

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,99945,00.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
An English historian, hearing about the huge percentages of US citizens who say they believe in God, quipped that someone should ask them if they believe in Original Sin.

I think the atheists of the world just got queasy.

America is the only fundamentalist first-world country I know of...

Originally posted by RageSk8
America is the only fundamentalist first-world country I know of...

Fundamentalism is but one element of the spectrum of religions popular in the US. A belief in God includes everything from New Agers chanting over their crystals, to the hell fire and brimstone preachers of the Southern Baptists; to the venomous snake handlers of the south. The majority of Americans are moderate in their beliefs.

Last edited:
The majority of Americans are moderate in their beliefs.

Eh... Depends on the area of the United States. The South is not on average "moderate".

Eh... Depends on the area of the United States. The South is not on average "moderate".

I think "the south" is too broad. For example, this would not include southern Ca, Florida, or even Texas which has many Catholics due to the Latino population. On a state by state basis I can see this more, but I still think you overstate the issue. Most people that I know are more relaxed in their beliefs than the official doctrine from their respective churches might imply.

I think the atheists of the world just got queasy.

Why in the world would you suggest that?

Eh... Depends on the area of the United States.
Um, he said that.

Originally posted by megashawn
Why in the world would you suggest that?

I hope that was sarcasm.

I sure got nauseated.

No, that was not sarcastic. Why would a poll stating most people believe in god make an atheist anymore queasy then driving down the street and counting 15 churches from one end to the other?[?]

Originally posted by megashawn
No, that was not sarcastic. Why would a poll stating most people believe in god make an atheist anymore queasy then driving down the street and counting 15 churches from one end to the other?[?]

Because you don't have to encounter the hopelessness of the situation quite on the scale every day.

There's always that thought that maybe you just live in the really bad section of town.

Originally posted by Beren
There's always that thought that maybe you just live in the really bad section of town.

Don't worry Beren, most of us believers are pretty friendly towards the fringe...um, I mean the non-believers.

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
Don't worry Beren, most of us believers are pretty friendly towards the fringe...um, I mean the non-believers.

Ha, I know you are. I'd be rather friendless if you weren't. ;)

You do get that occasional person who just decides to hate you, though. I keep it out of conversation, to say the least.

Heavean is real, it is just not forever. I have seen it.

The only problem being that it rather contravenes the definition of heaven, doesn't it? If you die in the afterlife, where do you go?

You must come back until the circle is complete. Saw it in a vision not a dream. People from all walks of life up to what seemed to be 500 years back but no further.

You do get that occasional person who just decides to hate you, though. I keep it out of conversation, to say the least.

Woa, calm down, a lil further explanation on your position is all I needed. You have to admit the comment you made earlier could have went either way. I agree with you on that note.

I think we need to mention the most fanatical and ravenous group of all the ACLU. Anyone that utters the word 'God' is attacked mercilessly by this bunch of heathens.

Only for those, ahem, who try to shove their God down some unbeliever's throat. The ACLU would be powerless if enthusiastic Christians didn't act as if God told them to run the public shools as Sunday schools.

Does,

"In God we trust" ring a bell somewhere

I think we need to mention the most fanatical and ravenous group of all the ACLU. Anyone that utters the word 'God' is attacked mercilessly by this bunch of heathens.

You know, I never heard of this group until you mentioned it. I thought to myself "Wow, sounds like a pretty cool group of people, let me check them out."

Your are so rediculously wrong in that statement. Have you even looked at there website? Did you even know they have a forum there as well?

Well, anyhow, come to find out, not only does the ACLU defend non-christians when Christianity is forced on them, but they also help christians when other religions our forced on them. Its not like the people are out to attack anyone who utters the word god, as you claim.

i have no problems with theists as long as their beliefs does not narrow their viewpoints. in fact i have seen people reach the same conclusions as i have by their strong belief in god. i think in the end god is a simplifying assumption that helps us explain our ideal ethical and moral codes than by taking recourse to the more accurate but complicated methods of scientific reasoning (to which most people are not used to and cannot appreciate beyond a certain point). think about the voluntary work done by the missionaries, how can one fault them simply because they believe in an entity that does not exist.

Originally posted by Robert Zaleski

I finally realize what I should put on forms that ask my religion - HEATHEN!

Thank you Robert,
Njorl

lol, that's a hella good idea njorl. Mind if I do so also? Maybe we can start a trend.

I finally realize what I should put on forms that ask my religion - HEATHEN! Thank you Robert, Njorl

Don’t thank me Njorl, Noah Webster deserves all the credit. According to his definition a heathen is anyone who is not a member of the Jewish, Christian or Moslem faith. If I offended you or anyone else on this forum I’m truly sorry, it was not my intent.

What I’m pissed off at is the Christian bashing that’s prevalent nowadays. Christians seem to be the flavor of the month for media and the ACLU to attack. Another thing that riles me are people that believe in nothing and project themselves as visionary’s to the true meaning of life. These people usually write and talk in a cryptic language no one including themselves understands. It may not be chic in today’s environment, but I believe in a devine being. Isn’t it strange that I live in a predominately Christian country and have to defend myself for being one

You know, I never heard of this group until you mentioned it. I thought to myself "Wow, sounds like a pretty cool group of people, let me check them out."

Megashawn, you need to get out more. The ACLU has been around for years. They were particularly useful to the Communist party in the 1950’s, when they defended their membership. The only thing your going to find at their website is a pile of self serving bull****. If you want to find out about a group like this, you need to find out who their major contributors are. Good Luck, I’ve tried. I wouldn’t be surprised, however, if you found numerous groups sympathetic to the far left, including that fun loving bunch at NAMBLA.

They were particularly useful to the Communist party in the 1950’s, when they defended their membership.

As opposed to being a McCarthy goon?

McCarthy for all his flaws as a human being was pretty much on track regarding the activities of the Communist Party in the USA. Read the Venona Papers.

Originally posted by Robert Zaleski
McCarthy for all his flaws as a human being was pretty much on track regarding the activities of the Communist Party in the USA. Read the Venona Papers.

I've read the Venona Papers. Ruining the lives of thousands to get a few is as justifiable as Hitler killing millions for a national cause. It's just ridiculous. Contrary to popular belief, the ends do not always justify the means.

What I’m pissed off at is the Christian bashing that’s prevalent nowadays. Christians seem to be the flavor of the month for media and the ACLU to attack. Another thing that riles me are people that believe in nothing and project themselves as visionary’s to the true meaning of life. These people usually write and talk in a cryptic language no one including themselves understands. It may not be chic in today’s environment, but I believe in a devine being. Isn’t it strange that I live in a predominately Christian country and have to defend myself for being one
And who asked you to defend yourself?

Just where are these prevalent cases of Christian bashing? Lemme see, we have a president who sprouts pseudoreligious nonsense more often than most have hot dinners. We have churchs that declare vast tracts of the world population unclean, and issue BS advice that will result in the deaths of millions. We have people organising moves against the separation of church and state, and a government that is aiding it. We have people campaigning to teach creationist dogma in schools. We have organised campaigns of hatred against non-christians, especially Muslims. Where are these people?

I think atheists grew out of inventing assailants to extract the moral high ground ages ago.