Falling matter of supernova does work heating the core?

In summary, the falling matter of a supernova does "work" in heating the core. This heat is ultimately "driven" by the outer layers.
Spinnor
Gold Member
Falling matter of supernova does "work" heating the core?

A supernova core collapses and the rest of the star follows, inner layers arrive first, a shock wave wave forms?

As outer layers continue to collapse and slow down is there a large radial time rate change in momentum as rapidly inwardly-flowing matter violently slows down?

Does this time rate change in momentum cause a force on the core comparable to the force given by the gravitational force due to mass of accretted outer layers?

Do both these forces do work on the core, compress it, and heat it up?

In the following video there is a simulation of a supernova core with what I guess is shown either violent motion of the matter of the inner core or pressure waves? Can one assume that the surrounding layers of the star not shown interact with this violent sloshing around by the core? See the 30 second mark. Is this violent motion ultimately "driven" by the outer layers?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
This isn't an easy question to answer. I will take a stab at providing a direction of research to aid you.

In this example you involve pressure, kinetic energy, temperature and the various forms of matter involved at different layers. Those various forms of matter have different maximum density values.

So if I were you I would study how you can employ the ideal gas laws into this. Yes the ideal gas laws would only serve as an approximation as the various layers are not in thermal equilibrium. So you will only be able to loosely apply it. It may or may not simplify the various dynamics at work. Obviously the variations between layers would require the gas laws but not the ideal gas laws themself. However the layers in thermal equilibrium could be treated as such with the regions out of equlibrium serving as the boundary.

Hope that helps, I've seen similar treatments employed in metrics involving accretion disks
in this article

http://arxiv.org/abs/1104.5499

you may or may not be able to find the appropriate metric examples in this article. Hopefully you can.

As far as whether the pressure, temperature or othe factord is doing the work. One textbook I have but cannot post "Thermodynamics of the Universe" can't recall the author and the textbook is currently packed has an applicable statement. Hopefully I have it correct.

"In thermodynamics the work done by changes of pressure is done by the temperature"

my memory might be incorrect on that though

Last edited:
You may find this link of interest I located it and other articles by googling "thermodynamics of a supernova core collapse

http://m.ptep.oxfordjournals.org/content/2012/1/01A309.full

looking at some other articles so may add more

edit this is one of the better articles.. Should answer your questions

http://arXiv.org/abs/1210.4921

Last edited:
Mordred, many thanks for the pointers! Have a good weekend!

I would say that the falling matter of a supernova definitely does work in heating the core. The collapse of the supernova creates a shock wave that travels through the star, causing the inner layers to collapse at a rapid rate. This rapid collapse generates a large amount of energy, which is converted into heat as the matter slows down and compresses. This process is known as gravitational potential energy conversion and is a major source of energy in supernovae.

The time rate change in momentum during the collapse also creates a force on the core, which is comparable to the force of gravity due to the accreted outer layers. This force, along with the compression of the core, contributes to the heating of the core.

The simulation in the video does show the violent motion of the matter in the core, which is a result of the collapse and the forces acting on it. This motion is ultimately driven by the outer layers of the star, which provide the initial energy and momentum for the collapse.

Overall, the falling matter of a supernova does significant work in heating the core, and this process is crucial in understanding the dynamics and energy production of these powerful astronomical events.

What is a supernova?

A supernova is a powerful explosion that occurs when a massive star reaches the end of its life. It is one of the most energetic events in the universe and can briefly outshine an entire galaxy.

Why does the falling matter of a supernova heat the core?

As the core of a massive star collapses during a supernova, it releases a tremendous amount of energy in the form of heat. This heat is created through the fusion of elements, as well as the compression of matter due to the force of gravity.

How does this heating affect the core of the star?

The intense heat generated by the falling matter of a supernova causes the core of the star to become extremely hot and dense. This can trigger further nuclear reactions and may lead to the formation of new elements.

Can this heating process create new stars?

The heating process of a supernova can trigger the formation of new stars in the surrounding area. The high temperatures and pressure can cause nearby gas and dust to collapse and form new stars.

What role does the heating of the core play in the overall life cycle of a star?

The heating of the core during a supernova is a crucial part of a star's life cycle. It marks the end of a star's life and can lead to the formation of new stars and the recycling of elements in the universe.