Determining Oxidation Numbers: A Guide

In summary, the purpose of determining oxidation numbers is to identify the distribution of charges in a compound and predict element reactivity. To determine the oxidation number of an atom in a compound, follow a set of rules and use algebra. The oxidation number cannot be a fraction, only a whole number or 0. The oxidation number of a polyatomic ion is determined by considering the overall charge. Oxidation number and valence electrons are related but different concepts, with oxidation numbers being hypothetical charges and valence electrons being involved in chemical bonding.
RPN
Hello,
Can someone show me a good site that helps explain how to determine oxidation numbers. I keep reading the same information in my textbook but I still don't have a clear idea on how to do that.
Thank you

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Here's a neat site I found.
http://www.chemistrycoach.com/oxno.htm

Are you trying to do organic or inorganic oxidation numbers? Method A on the site is good for organic, Method B is good for inorganic.

for reaching out! Determining oxidation numbers can be tricky, but there are many helpful resources available online to guide you. One website I would recommend is Khan Academy (https://www.khanacademy.org/science...lectron-oxidation-reduction/a/oxidation-state), which provides a step-by-step guide and practice problems to help understand the concept. Additionally, Chem LibreTexts (https://chem.libretexts.org/Bookshe.../21:_Electrochemistry/21.4:_Oxidation_Numbers) also offers a thorough explanation with examples and practice exercises. I hope these resources are helpful in clarifying the concept of determining oxidation numbers for you. Best of luck in your studies!

1. What is the purpose of determining oxidation numbers?

The purpose of determining oxidation numbers is to identify the number of electrons that an atom has gained or lost in a compound. This helps in understanding the distribution of charges in a compound and predicting the reactivity of elements.

2. How do I determine the oxidation number of an atom in a compound?

To determine the oxidation number of an atom in a compound, you need to follow a set of rules. These include assigning the oxidation number of a free element as 0, assigning the oxidation number of monatomic ions as their charge, and assigning a negative oxidation number to more electronegative atoms in a compound. You can then use algebra to solve for the oxidation number of the desired atom.

3. Can the oxidation number of an atom be a fraction?

No, the oxidation number of an atom cannot be a fraction. It can only be a whole number or 0. This is because the concept of oxidation numbers is based on the transfer of electrons, which can only occur in whole numbers.

4. How is the oxidation number of a polyatomic ion determined?

The oxidation number of a polyatomic ion is determined by considering the overall charge of the ion. The sum of the oxidation numbers of all the atoms in the ion must equal the charge of the ion. For example, in the sulfate ion (SO4) with a charge of -2, the oxidation number of sulfur would be +6, as the sum of the oxidation numbers of all the atoms (-2) must equal the charge of the ion (-2).

5. What is the difference between oxidation number and valence electrons?

Oxidation number and valence electrons are related but different concepts. Oxidation number is a hypothetical charge that an atom would have if all its bonds were 100% ionic, while valence electrons are the electrons in the outermost energy level of an atom that are involved in chemical bonding. Oxidation numbers can change in different compounds, while valence electrons remain constant for an atom in a neutral state.