Calculating Change in Flow for P1 & D1

In summary, to calculate the change in flow with changes in pressure or pipe diameter, assuming laminar flow and consistent pipe material, you can use the Hagen poiseulle equation and the affinity laws.
viadanasi
If I have a flow , Q1 l/sec and a pressure P1 Bar , Pipe Diameter D1
how can I work out the change in flow if either/or both the Pressure
or Pipe Diameter change. Assuming laminar flow and pipe material
do not change.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Start with the affinity laws:
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/affinity-laws-d_408.html

viadanasi said:
If I have a flow , Q1 l/sec and a pressure P1 Bar , Pipe Diameter D1

how can I work out the change in flow if either/or both the Pressure

or Pipe Diameter change. Assuming laminar flow and pipe material

do not change.
Thanks
Use Hagen poiseulle equation

Chet

1. How do I calculate the change in flow for P1 & D1?

To calculate the change in flow for P1 & D1, you will need to use the equation Q = A * V, where Q is the flow rate, A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe, and V is the velocity of the fluid. You will also need to know the initial and final pressures, as well as the density of the fluid. The formula for calculating the change in flow is: ΔQ = A * (ΔP / ρ), where ΔQ is the change in flow, ΔP is the change in pressure, and ρ is the density of the fluid.

2. What units should I use for the variables in the equation?

The units for the variables in the equation will depend on the system of measurement you are using. In most cases, the flow rate (Q) will be measured in cubic meters per second (m^3/s). The cross-sectional area (A) will be measured in square meters (m^2). Velocity (V) will be measured in meters per second (m/s). Pressure (P) will be measured in pascals (Pa), and density (ρ) will be measured in kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m^3).

3. What if I don't know the cross-sectional area or velocity?

If you do not know the cross-sectional area or velocity, you can use other equations to calculate them. The cross-sectional area can be calculated using the formula A = π * r^2, where r is the radius of the pipe. The velocity can be calculated using the equation V = Q / A. If you do not have these values, you can also measure them using specialized tools such as a flow meter or pitot tube.

4. Can this equation be used for any type of fluid?

Yes, this equation can be used for any type of fluid, as long as you have the necessary values for the variables. However, it is important to note that this equation assumes that the fluid is incompressible. If you are working with a compressible fluid, such as gas, you will need to use a different equation that takes into account the change in density.

5. How can I use this equation in real-world applications?

The equation for calculating the change in flow for P1 & D1 can be used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in plumbing systems, industrial processes, and hydraulic engineering. It can help engineers and scientists determine the flow rate and pressure changes in a system, which is essential for maintaining efficiency and safety. It can also be used to troubleshoot potential issues and make improvements to existing systems.