Making the body of a RC helicopter from balsa wood

In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on whether balsa wood would be a suitable material for their military drone-shaped RC helicopter design. They mention that most RC helicopters are made of aluminum, plastic, or panel boards, and wonder if balsa wood is not used due to the torque of the motor or design of the chopper. They also mention their plan to build a prototype using balsa wood and ask for advice on ensuring the prototype is balanced and held together well. The other person suggests that balsa wood is a common choice for DIY copters and advises the speaker to watch their weight and make sure the design is balanced.
Austine-J5
Holla peeps,in the nearest future I hope to make a rc helicopter. I've done a series of researches and so far things are falling into place but I've just hit a hard rock. All model Rc I've seen are either made of aluminum, plastic or panel boards so am wondering what about balsa wood? Its light so why is it not used for helicopters. Is it due to the torque of the motor or design of the chopper? My design is shaped like a military drone,flat and virtually triangular in shape with two motors on two edges and a long tail sticking out perpendicularly to the motors. so I need your help to know if balsa wood will be good for the design.
Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I can't really visualize your design, but I've seen lots of kits made from balsa wood, including helicopters.

Balsa wood is fairly cheap and easy to work with, so why not build a crude prototype first to see if you have any obvious structural issues in your design?

My design is like a kite cut into two equal halves with a tail sticking out of the longest side and I'll try building a prototype.

Balsa wood is a pretty common choice for making frames when you are making a DIY (heli/quad/octo) copter on the cheap.

Two pieces of advice, watch your weight and make sure it is held together well. Make sure above all the thing is balanced.

Hello,
Thank you for sharing your interest in building a RC helicopter using balsa wood. I can provide some insights on the use of balsa wood in such a project.

Balsa wood is a lightweight and strong material, making it a popular choice for model airplanes and other small-scale models. However, its use in RC helicopters is limited due to several factors.

Firstly, balsa wood is not as strong as other materials like aluminum or plastic, which can withstand the high torque and forces generated by the motors of a helicopter. This could lead to structural instability and potential crashes.

Additionally, the design of a helicopter requires a high level of precision and control, which may not be achievable with balsa wood due to its tendency to warp and bend. This could affect the stability and flight performance of the helicopter.

Furthermore, the shape and size of your proposed design may also impact the suitability of balsa wood. As you mentioned, your design is shaped like a military drone with two motors and a long tail. Balsa wood may not be able to support the weight and balance of this design, leading to difficulties in flight control.

In conclusion, while balsa wood may be a feasible material for smaller RC models, it may not be the best choice for a helicopter due to its limited strength and stability. I suggest exploring other materials such as carbon fiber or fiberglass, which are commonly used in RC helicopters for their strength and durability.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project.

1. How durable is balsa wood for RC helicopter bodies?

Balsa wood is a lightweight and strong material, making it a popular choice for RC helicopter bodies. However, it is not as durable as other materials such as carbon fiber or fiberglass. It is important to reinforce the balsa wood with additional materials to increase its strength and durability.

2. Is it difficult to shape balsa wood into the desired helicopter body?

Balsa wood is a soft and easy-to-work-with material, making it relatively easy to shape into the desired form. However, it does require some skill and precision to accurately carve and shape the wood. It is recommended to use specialized tools and techniques to achieve the desired results.

3. Can balsa wood be used for both indoor and outdoor RC helicopters?

Yes, balsa wood can be used for both indoor and outdoor RC helicopters. However, for outdoor use, it is important to choose a high-quality and well-sealed balsa wood to prevent damage from moisture and other environmental factors.

4. How does the weight of balsa wood affect the performance of the RC helicopter?

The weight of the balsa wood can significantly impact the performance of the RC helicopter. A heavier body will require more power to lift and maneuver, while a lighter body will improve agility and flight time. It is important to find the right balance between weight and strength for optimal performance.

5. What are the benefits of using balsa wood for RC helicopter bodies?

Balsa wood offers several benefits for RC helicopter bodies. It is lightweight, strong, and easy to shape, making it ideal for achieving aerodynamic designs. It also absorbs vibrations and impacts well, reducing the risk of damage to the helicopter's internal components. Additionally, balsa wood is a cost-effective material compared to other options such as carbon fiber or aluminum.