Vector Multiplication in a Triangle on the Cartesian Plane

In summary, the conversation discussed vector multiplication in a triangle with given vector magnitudes and directions. The homework equations used were ABsin(ø), the Pythagorean theorem, and tan^-1 (y/x). The solution involved using the determinant of a 3x3 matrix and the cross-product rule, which can also be confirmed using the mnemonic i x j = k. The final answer for all the questions was 192 and the directions were determined using the unit vectors.
Lucian09474

Homework Statement

For the vectors in a Triangle, with a = 16, b = 12, and c = 20 what are

(a) the magnitude and (b) the direction of A x B

(c) the magnitude and (d) the direction of A x C

(e) the magnitude and (f) the direction B x C

this is Vector Multiplication.

Homework Equations

ABsin(ø)
pythagorean theorem
tan^-1 (y/x)
3. The Attempt at a Solution

16i x 12j = 192 (magnitude of A x B it is correct) and the direction is along the -x axis (believed)

since this is vector multiplication, I realized that the best way to do it was using the determinant. which is a value associated with a square matrix. We can get the above relations following matrix algebra procedures to calculate the determinant of a 3×3 matrix, which in favor ends up giving us the vector product. if I am not mistaken the vector product can be expressed by multiplying the vectors, now here is where the problem arises. multiplying vector is not commutative and when multiplying vectors you get a new one (on the Z direction?)

Physics news on Phys.org
You should learn the different results of the cross-products between the unit vectors.

A handy mnemonic (a memory device) is

i j k | i j

which translated means (reading from left to right):

i x j = k

j x k = i

k x i = j

if you read the mnemonic in reverse, from right to left, you get:

j x i = -k

i x k = -j

k x j = -i

Any unit vector crossed with itself is zero:

i x i = j x j = k x k = 0

This can be confirmed also by writing out the cross products using determinants.

ah Indeed thank you very much. surprise to find out that after all the attempts all of the answers were 192. and the directions were a little bit tricky but I got the right answer.

thanks for the guidance.

What is vector multiplication in a triangle on the Cartesian plane?

Vector multiplication in a triangle on the Cartesian plane is a mathematical operation that involves multiplying two or more vectors in a specific order to find a resulting vector. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate forces and velocities in a given system.

What are the types of vector multiplication in a triangle on the Cartesian plane?

There are three types of vector multiplication in a triangle on the Cartesian plane: dot product, cross product, and scalar triple product. The dot product results in a scalar value, the cross product results in a vector perpendicular to the original vectors, and the scalar triple product results in a scalar value that represents the volume of a parallelepiped formed by the three vectors.

How do you calculate vector multiplication in a triangle on the Cartesian plane?

The method for calculating vector multiplication depends on the type of multiplication being performed. For dot product, you multiply the corresponding components of the two vectors and then add them together. For cross product, you use the determinant of a matrix formed by the two vectors. For scalar triple product, you use the dot product and cross product of the three vectors. It is important to follow the specific order of operations for each type of multiplication.

What is the significance of vector multiplication in a triangle on the Cartesian plane?

Vector multiplication is significant because it allows us to understand and calculate the relationships between different vectors in a given system. It helps us to determine the direction and magnitude of forces and velocities, and to solve problems in physics and engineering.

Are there any practical applications of vector multiplication in a triangle on the Cartesian plane?

Yes, there are many practical applications of vector multiplication in a triangle on the Cartesian plane. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving forces, velocities, and motion. It is also used in computer graphics to create 3D images and animations, and in navigation systems to determine the direction and speed of movement.