Why does (current density) dJ/dt=0?

In summary, the conversation was about the derivation of Maxwell's wave equation for the electric field. The question was raised about why the time derivative of current density, J, is zero in the equation ∇ x H = j + ∂D/∂t. One person believes that the ∂J/∂t term should be present as it is necessary for creating a wave. However, another person explains that the term does not disappear and is still present in the equation, but it is not the main factor in creating electromagnetic waves.
iScience
could someone explain to me why the the time derivative of current density J would be zero?

more specifically..

$$\mu_0\frac{∂\vec{J}}{∂t}=0$$

trying to derive maxwell's wave equation for E-field and i guess one of the assumptions i have to make is the above. but if I'm making a wave, i thought i had to have accelerating charges in which case why would the above be true?

Physics news on Phys.org
iScience said:
could someone explain to me why the the time derivative of current density J would be zero?

more specifically..

$$\mu_0\frac{∂\vec{J}}{∂t}=0$$

trying to derive maxwell's wave equation for E-field and i guess one of the assumptions i have to make is the above. but if I'm making a wave, i thought i had to have accelerating charges in which case why would the above be true?

The Maxwell equation you are referring to is ∇ x H = j + ∂D/∂t

where

H = B0
j = current density vector
D0E.

Fact: e-m waves are created by virtue of the ∂D/∂t term, not the j term.

BTW I am not aware that ∂j/∂t has to be zero.

yea that's the equation I'm referring to (the corrected ampere's law).I agree that a constant J would not produce a wave, however ∂J/∂t should. and here's where i get ∂J/∂t:if we set this equation equal to faraday's law in differential form:

$$\frac{∂}{∂t}(\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{B})= \frac{∂}{∂t}(\mu_0(\vec{J}+\epsilon_0\frac{∂\vec{E}}{∂t}))$$

$$\nabla \times \frac{∂\vec{B}}{∂t}=-\vec{\nabla} \times (\vec{\nabla} \times E)$$$$\frac{∂}{∂t}(\mu_0(\vec{J}+\epsilon_0\frac{∂\vec{E}}{∂t}))=-\vec{\nabla} \times (\vec{\nabla} \times E)$$

this is the place I'm referring to. why does the [itex]\mu_0 \frac{∂\vec{J}}{∂t}[/itex] term disappear?

[tex]\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{B}= \mu_0\left(\vec{J}+\epsilon_0\frac{∂\vec{E}}{∂t}\right) [/tex]

and

[tex]\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{E}= -\frac{∂\vec{B}}{∂t}[/tex]

Take the curl of the second one,

[tex]\vec{\nabla}\times\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{E}= -\frac{∂}{∂t}\vec{\nabla}\times\vec{B}[/tex]

and substitute the first one
--->

[tex]\vec{\nabla}\times\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{E}= -\frac{∂}{∂t}\mu_0\left(\vec{J}+\epsilon_0\frac{∂\vec{E}}{∂t}\right) [/tex]

ehild

exactly what i did..

still don't see how that term disappears

What do you mean that J disappears? It is still there.

ehild

1. Why is it important for current density (dJ/dt) to equal zero?

Current density is a measure of the flow of electrical current through a given area. When the value of dJ/dt is equal to zero, it means that there is no change in the amount of current flowing through that area over time. This is important because it indicates that the system is in a steady state and there are no fluctuations or imbalances in the flow of current.

2. How does the equation dJ/dt=0 relate to Ohm's Law?

Ohm's Law states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance. When dJ/dt=0, it means that the current is not changing, which implies that the voltage and resistance are also constant. In other words, the system is in a state of equilibrium where the amount of current flowing is balanced by the voltage and resistance.

3. What does a non-zero value of dJ/dt indicate?

A non-zero value of dJ/dt indicates that there is a change in the flow of current over time. This could be due to a change in voltage, resistance, or both. It could also indicate the presence of external factors such as an electromagnetic field or the introduction of a new conductor.

4. How is current density (dJ/dt) related to the movement of charge carriers?

Current density is a measure of the amount of charge flowing through a given area per unit time. Therefore, a non-zero value of dJ/dt indicates that there is a net movement of charge carriers in the system. This could be in the form of electrons moving through a conductor or ions moving through an electrolyte solution.

5. What are some practical applications of the equation dJ/dt=0 in science and technology?

The equation dJ/dt=0 is used in various fields of science and technology, such as electrical engineering, physics, and materials science. It is used in the design and analysis of electrical circuits, as well as in the study of materials and their conductivity. It is also used in the development of electronic devices and technologies, such as transistors and semiconductors. Additionally, dJ/dt=0 is essential in the study of electromagnetism and the behavior of electromagnetic waves.