Vector Boson Propagator and gauge

In summary, the two different propagators discussed are associated with different gauges and can be explained further in a quantum field theory textbook. The second propagator eliminates the Goldstone modes, but it is not clear how the first propagator would do so. Further clarification can be found in a text such as Srednicki's.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
Well I'm trying to understand the difference between these propagators:

[itex] \frac{g_{\mu \nu}}{k^{2} - m^2 + i \epsilon}[/itex]

and

[itex] \frac{g_{\mu \nu}+ \frac{ k_{\mu} k_{\nu}}{m^{2}}}{k^{2} - m^2 + i \epsilon}[/itex]

My professor told me that they are different gauges, and the from the second you rule out the goldstone modes. Can someone explain it to me a little better or refer me to some textbook? I don't also get the meaning of goldstone modes- if you have a massive vector boson then you don't have goldstone modes [they become the longitudial dofs]

Also I am having one more question. If the first doesn't kill out the goldstone bosons, then can someone -after arriving at the end result- kill them? Maybe by a gauge transformation? and what gauge transformation?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ChrisVer said:
Well I'm trying to understand the difference between these propagators:

[itex] \frac{g_{\mu \nu}}{k^{2} - m^2 + i \epsilon}[/itex]

and

[itex] \frac{g_{\mu \nu}+ \frac{ k_{\mu} k_{\nu}}{m^{2}}}{k^{2} - m^2 + i \epsilon}[/itex]

My professor told me that they are different gauges, and the from the second you rule out the goldstone modes. Can someone explain it to me a little better or refer me to some textbook? I don't also get the meaning of goldstone modes- if you have a massive vector boson then you don't have goldstone modes [they become the longitudial dofs]

Also I am having one more question. If the first doesn't kill out the goldstone bosons, then can someone -after arriving at the end result- kill them? Maybe by a gauge transformation? and what gauge transformation?

I am not sure what your prof meant by "killing off the Goldstone modes". The two expressions correspond to different gauges. If you put a parameter ##\xi## in front of the ##k^\mu k^\nu## term, upon summing up any gauge invariant combination of Feynman diagrams (in particular the sum of the diagrams of a given loop order), the ##\xi## dependent terms will cancel out, showing that adding that term does not change anything to the final result. I guess it is possible to think of these extra terms as being associate to the Goldstone modes (like some pieces of the ##g^{\mu \nu}## piece in QED correspond to the longitudinal modes) .

You need to look at a QFT text for details; try Srednicki.

1. What is a vector boson propagator?

A vector boson propagator is a mathematical representation of the force carrier particle that mediates interactions between fundamental particles. It describes the probability of a particle emitting or absorbing the force carrier, and how the interaction between particles changes as a function of distance.

2. What is gauge invariance in relation to vector boson propagators?

Gauge invariance is a fundamental principle in particle physics that states that the physical predictions of a theory should not depend on the choice of mathematical gauge used to describe the theory. In relation to vector boson propagators, gauge invariance ensures that the interaction between particles is unaffected by changes in the mathematical representation of the force carrier.

3. How do vector boson propagators relate to the Standard Model of particle physics?

The Standard Model is a theoretical framework that describes the fundamental particles and their interactions. Vector boson propagators are an essential part of this framework, as they represent the force carriers of the strong, weak, and electromagnetic forces, which are described by the Standard Model.

4. What is the significance of the Renormalization Group Equation in vector boson propagators?

The Renormalization Group Equation is a mathematical tool used to study how physical quantities change as a function of energy scale. In the context of vector boson propagators, it allows scientists to study the behavior of the force carriers at different energy scales, providing valuable insights into the fundamental interactions between particles.

5. How do experiments at particle accelerators help us understand vector boson propagators?

Particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider, allow scientists to study the behavior of particles at extremely high energies. By colliding particles at high energies, scientists can observe the interactions mediated by vector boson propagators and gather data to test and refine theories about their behavior. This helps us gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental forces that govern the universe.