Help Midterm tomorrow Pulley, Newton's Laws Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses an object with three connected masses and surfaces with varying coefficients of friction. The question at hand is to determine the acceleration of each mass. The conversation also includes relevant equations and an attempt at a solution, but with some confusion and algebra errors.
aatgomez
1. Homework Statement
An object consists of 3 connected masses as seen in the figure. None of the surfaces have friction except the surface on m1 which has the coefficients μs=0.4 y μk=0.3.
What is the acceleration of each one of the masses?
It looks like the following image but m1 is the table and m2 is equal to m3 or the block that's hanging from the pulley of the table.
nMkXx.png

2. Homework Equations
∑Fx = m1a → τ - fk = m1a
∑Fy = 0 → n- m1g = 0
T= μkm1g+ m1a
∑Fy = m2a → m2g - T =m2a
m2g - (μkm1g+m1a) = m2a
a = m2 - μkm1/m1 + m2

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I got up to the finally equation but I can't figure out how to solve the equation without mass. Thanks! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Good luck with your test! Post is now incomprehensible, but what the heck.

The masses are equal , call them m. But your last equation solving for "a" has algebra errors. Correct your algebra...maybe you don't need to know m.
If I interpret your problem correctly, wording is confusing.

I would recommend reviewing the fundamental concepts of Newton's Laws of Motion and pulley systems before attempting to solve this problem. It is important to understand the relationship between forces, mass, and acceleration in order to solve this type of problem.

To start, we can apply Newton's Second Law, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In this case, we have three masses (m1, m2, and m3) connected by a pulley, so we need to consider the forces acting on each individual mass.

For m1, the only horizontal force is the tension (T) from the rope, which is equal to the force of friction (fk) acting in the opposite direction. We can set up the equation ∑Fx = m1a to solve for the acceleration of m1.

For m2 and m3, the only vertical force is the weight (mg) acting downwards, and the tension (T) from the rope acting upwards. We can set up the equation ∑Fy = m2a and ∑Fy = m3a to solve for the acceleration of m2 and m3, respectively.

Once we have these equations, we can substitute in the given values for the coefficients of friction (μs and μk) and the masses (m1, m2, and m3) to solve for the unknown accelerations.

It is also important to note that the masses are connected by a pulley, meaning that they will have the same acceleration. This allows us to set the two equations for m2 and m3 equal to each other and solve for the acceleration (a).

I hope this helps and good luck on your midterm tomorrow! Remember to review the fundamental concepts and take your time to carefully solve the problem.

1. What is a pulley and how does it work?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a grooved rim and a rope or cable. It works by changing the direction of the force applied to the rope, allowing a person to lift or move heavy objects with less effort.

2. What are Newton's Laws of Motion and how do they apply to pulleys?

Newton's Laws of Motion are fundamental principles that describe the behavior of objects in motion. The first law states that an object in motion will stay in motion unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. These laws apply to pulleys in that they dictate the relationship between the force applied to the rope, the weight of the object being lifted, and the acceleration of the object.

3. How can I calculate the mechanical advantage of a pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system is calculated by dividing the output force (the weight of the object being lifted) by the input force (the force applied to the rope). For example, if a person applies 10 pounds of force to lift a 100 pound object, the mechanical advantage would be 10 (100/10 = 10).

4. Are there different types of pulleys and do they have different mechanical advantages?

Yes, there are three types of pulleys: fixed, movable, and compound. Each type has a different mechanical advantage. A fixed pulley has a mechanical advantage of 1, meaning the input force is equal to the output force. A movable pulley has a mechanical advantage of 2, meaning the input force is half of the output force. A compound pulley, which combines both fixed and movable pulleys, can have a mechanical advantage greater than 2.

5. How can I use pulleys and Newton's Laws to solve a problem for my midterm tomorrow?

To solve a problem involving pulleys and Newton's Laws, you will need to identify the forces acting on the object being lifted, use the equations from Newton's Laws to calculate the acceleration and forces involved, and use the mechanical advantage of the pulley to determine the output force. Make sure to carefully label your diagram and show all your work to get the correct answer.