Particle Physics Book for Beginners

In summary, Lisa's favorite book is The End of Physics by David Lindley and mine is The Charm of Strange Quarks: Mysteries and Revolutions of Particle Physics.
Lisa!
Gold Member
What's the best particle physics book for a bigginer?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lisa,
I think your best bet would be The Charm of Strange Quarks: Mysteries and Revolutions of Particle Physics. After that, I'd say Hydrogen: The Essential Element. If you haven't read it, The Elegant Universe is fun too. I hope this helped!

Well Lisa!,
This matches Marlon's field of interest. :biggrin:
Let's see what he advices to you/
Till yet i have only studied Arthur Baiser but enjoyed it.

Lisa! said:
What's the best particle physics book for a bigginer?

Depends on your background. What math have you studied? Have you studied quantum mechanics yet? Or relativity?

My background? BS in physics!

Scarborm said:
Lisa,
I think your best bet would be The Charm of Strange Quarks: Mysteries and Revolutions of Particle Physics. After that, I'd say Hydrogen: The Essential Element. If you haven't read it, The Elegant Universe is fun too. I hope this helped!
Thanks.

My personal favorite is The End of Physics by David Lindley.

If you want to see some book review you can go to

Also, at amazon you can see reviews on other recommended books. However, I wouldn't suggest basing your decisions too much on customer reviews. I just read them to get insight into the books content.

oooo go to the PARTICLE ADVENTURE WEBSITE...its really good...

Lisa! said:
My background? BS in physics!

I used: Griffiths, Introductory to elementary particles, for my course in elementary particles (undergraduate).

If you're into something more fun try this: http://pdg.lbl.gov/quarkdance/ . And be sure to turn on your speakers. :biggrin:

Thanks everyone. :smile:

If you do not have a solid QM, QFT-background i suggest you start looking at the "elementary particles presented thread" at our very own PF-nuclei-subforum.

It will provide you with lots of intro texts and websites

marlon

1. What is particle physics?

Particle physics is a branch of physics that studies the nature and behavior of subatomic particles, which are the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern them.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners?

Yes, this book is specifically designed for beginners who have little to no prior knowledge of particle physics. It covers the basics of the subject in a clear and easy-to-understand manner.

3. What topics are covered in this book?

This book covers a wide range of topics including the standard model of particle physics, particle interactions, particle accelerators, and the latest research and discoveries in the field.

4. Do I need any math knowledge to understand this book?

While some basic math concepts are used in particle physics, this book is written in a way that does not require advanced mathematical knowledge. However, a basic understanding of algebra and geometry would be helpful.

5. Will this book be updated with new information and discoveries?

Yes, this book will be periodically updated to include the latest information and discoveries in particle physics. It is important to stay updated in this field as new breakthroughs are constantly being made.