Find Signal x(n) - Hint for Solving x(n)+x(-n)

In summary, the problem involves finding the signal for the function x(n) = nv(n-1) for all integers from -infinity to +infinity. This function is the multiplication of two vectors, n and v(n-1), where v(n-1) is the vector function v(n) shifted over one position to the right. The person also requests a hint for solving the problem.
robert25pl
I have to find the signal if x(n) = nv(n-1) for -infinite < n < + infinite

x(n)+x(-n)

Can I get hint with this problem so I can do rest of them. Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
x(n) is a vector function where n is all the intergers from -infinity to +infinity. nv(n-1) is n*v(n-1) which is the multiplication of two vectors. Again n is all integers from -infinity to +infinity and v(n-1) is the vector function v(n) after all the elements have been shifted over one position to the right.

At least that's what it looks like form my position.

Sure, no problem! To find the signal x(n), we can use the hint given, which is x(n)+x(-n). Using this hint, we can rewrite the equation for x(n) as x(n) = x(n)+x(-n)-x(-n). Now, we can see that the first two terms on the right side cancel out, leaving us with x(n) = -x(-n). From here, we can use this relationship to solve for x(n). Since x(n) is equal to -x(-n), we can substitute -x(-n) in place of x(n) in the original equation. This gives us -x(-n) = nv(n-1). Solving for x(-n), we get x(-n) = -nv(n-1). Therefore, the signal x(n) can be written as x(n) = -nv(n-1). I hope this helps and you are able to solve the rest of the problems!

1. What is the purpose of finding signal x(n)?

The purpose of finding signal x(n) is to understand the characteristics and behavior of a discrete-time signal in a given system. This can help in analyzing and predicting the output of the system when the signal is inputted.

2. What does the hint "x(n)+x(-n)" mean?

The hint "x(n)+x(-n)" refers to the mathematical operation of adding a signal with its time-reversed version. This can help simplify the process of finding signal x(n) by exploiting the symmetry of the signal.

3. How do you solve for x(n) using the given hint?

To solve for x(n) using the hint "x(n)+x(-n)", you need to first identify the symmetry of the signal. Then, you can use this symmetry to rewrite the signal as a sum of two simpler signals. Finally, you can solve for x(n) by manipulating the equations and applying basic algebraic principles.

4. Can the hint be used for any type of signal?

Yes, the hint "x(n)+x(-n)" can be used for any type of signal as long as it is a discrete-time signal. It works for both periodic and non-periodic signals, and for continuous-time signals that have been sampled to obtain a discrete-time signal.

5. Are there any limitations to using the hint "x(n)+x(-n)"?

The hint "x(n)+x(-n)" may not be effective for signals that do not have any symmetry. In such cases, other methods such as Fourier analysis or convolution may be more suitable for finding the signal x(n). Additionally, the hint may not work for signals that have a very complex or irregular shape, as it relies on the simplicity of the signal to be effective.