Displacement Calculation: Need Help Solving Vector Problem

• Thread starter confusedaboutphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, to find the displacement of a car that has been driven 150 km west and 30 km southwest, break down the vectors into components and use the formula V(x) = V(x1) + V(x2) and V(y) = V(y1) + V(y2) to find the x and y components of the final vector. Use Pythagoras' Theorem and trigonometry to find the magnitude and direction of the final vector.
confusedaboutphysics
vector problem..PLEASE HELP!

A car is driven 150 km west and then 30 km southwest. What is the displacement of the car from the point of origin (magnitude and direction)?

i have no clue how to start..could someone help me?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Break down the vectors into components and then add up the components to get the sum of the two vectors.

Right, and I would assume southwest to mean to have a reference angle of 45 degrees.

i know that V1x = -150 and V1y = 0. but I'm confused how to find V2x and V2y. do i use the Vx=V1x + V2x? but i don't know what Vx is. and i know that to find Vx you use Vx=Vcos(angle) but i don't have V either.

where do i go from here?

Last edited:
someone help please! i don't know where to go from here! (see above message)

[itex] \vec{v_1} = 150km \ west [/itex]

[itex] \vec{v_2} = 30km \ southwest [/itex]

Vector 1 is purely East West so it has no north south component.
Vector 2 has components in both north south and east west. SW is 45 degrees south of west. Break it up into its components.

You're complicating things.

First of all, V(x) = V(x1) + V(x2) and V(y) = V(y1) + V(y2), right? It appears you know this already.

You've solved for V(x1) and V(y1). For V(x2) and V(y2), you must use your formulas. That is, V(y2) = V times the sine of the angle and V(x2) = V times the cosine of the angle. The angle is 45 and the magnitude is 30. Just plug in the values and get the x and y components of the second vector. Then plug these results into the formula displayed at the top of this post and you have the x and y components of the final vector. Using Pythagoras' Theorem and basic trigonometry, you can then find the magnitude and direction of the final vector. Do you understand?

1. What is displacement calculation?

Displacement calculation is a method used in physics to determine the overall change in position of an object. It involves calculating the distance and direction between an object's initial and final positions.

2. How do I solve a vector problem for displacement?

To solve a vector problem for displacement, you will need to first identify the initial and final positions of the object. Then, use the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the distance between the two points. Next, use trigonometric functions to determine the direction of displacement.

3. Why is displacement calculation necessary?

Displacement calculation is necessary because it allows us to accurately measure the overall change in position of an object. This information is essential in understanding and predicting the motion of objects in physics.

4. What are some common mistakes when calculating displacement?

One common mistake is confusing displacement with distance, as they are two different concepts. Another mistake is not considering the direction of displacement, which can lead to incorrect calculations. It is also important to use the correct units when calculating displacement.

5. Can displacement calculation be used for curved paths?

Yes, displacement calculation can be used for both straight and curved paths. However, for curved paths, the displacement calculation will only give the overall change in position, not the path taken. For a more accurate representation of the path, we would need to use other methods, such as integration.