Newton's Second Law and jetpacks

In summary, Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the force applied to an object is directly proportional to its mass and acceleration. This can be applied to jetpacks, as the force of jet propulsion is related to the mass of the user and their acceleration while flying. The design of a jetpack can also affect its performance according to this law, as it must be able to provide enough force to overcome the user's weight. While Newton's Second Law is a fundamental law of physics, it does not take into account other factors such as air resistance and the limitations of the human body when using a jetpack.
suspenc3
Three astronauts, propelled by jetpacks, push a 120kg asteroid toward a processing dock, exerting the forces
F1 = 32N at 30 degrees above the horizontal
F2 = 55N on the horizontal
F3 = 41N below 60 degrees below the horizontal

what is the asteroids acceleration in unit vector notation?

m = 120kg
F2 = (5N)i

F1+F2+F3 = ma

F1 = (32N cos30deg) , (32N sin30deg)
F1 = (27.7)i + 16j

F3 = (41N cos-60deg) , (41N sin-60deg)
F3 = (20.5N)i - (35.5N)j

Fnet = ma
Fnet/m = a
(27.7/120 +55 + 20.5/120)i , (-35.5/120 + 16/120)j = a

Is this right so far?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Apart from a couple of typos, yes it's correct.

Yes, your approach is correct so far. However, there is a small mistake in your calculation of F3. The correct components of F3 would be (20.5N)i + (35.5N)j. This is because the angle of -60 degrees is in the fourth quadrant, where the y-component should be positive. So the correct equation would be:

F3 = (41N cos(-60deg))i + (41N sin(-60deg))j
F3 = (20.5N)i + (35.5N)j

From here, you can continue with your calculation of the net force and acceleration in unit vector notation.

1. How does Newton's Second Law relate to jetpacks?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the force applied to an object is directly proportional to its mass and acceleration. In the case of jetpacks, the force of the jet propulsion is directly related to the mass of the person wearing the jetpack and the acceleration they experience while flying.

2. Can Newton's Second Law explain how jetpacks work?

Yes, according to Newton's Second Law, the more mass a person has, the more force is needed to accelerate them. The jetpack uses a high-powered engine to produce a force that is greater than the person's weight, allowing them to accelerate upwards and fly.

3. Is it possible for a jetpack to violate Newton's Second Law?

No, Newton's Second Law is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be violated. The force and acceleration of a jetpack will always follow this law, regardless of any external factors such as wind or gravity.

4. How does the design of a jetpack affect its performance according to Newton's Second Law?

The design of a jetpack, including the placement and direction of the engine, can affect the force and acceleration experienced by the user. In order to achieve maximum performance, the jetpack must be designed to provide enough force to overcome the weight of the person wearing it.

5. Are there any limitations to using Newton's Second Law to understand jetpacks?

While Newton's Second Law is a useful tool for understanding the basic principles behind jetpacks, it does not take into account other factors such as air resistance, which can affect the performance of the jetpack. In addition, the human body also has its own limitations and may not be able to withstand the forces experienced while using a jetpack.