Force vs Time Graph: Impulse of a Soccer Ball Kick

In summary: So, you integrate the area under the graph from the x-axis to the y-axis. You use the negative of the derivative of the function f(x) to get the impulse.
Punchlinegirl
A soccer player kicks a ball of mass 0.45 kg that is initially at rest. The player's foot is in contact with the ball for 0.005 s. The force of the kick is shown in the Figure. What is the impulse imparted on the ball?
http://psblnx03.bd.psu.edu/res/fsu/capalibrary/17Impulse/prob03.problem?symb=uploaded%2fpsuerie%2f6821119950c439fpsueriel2%2fdefault_1129569435%2esequence___14___fsu%2fcapalibrary%2f17Impulse%2fprob03%2eproblem

I know that I need to integrate to solve this problem, but how would I do that when I have no idea what the equation is?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't see the figure.

Anyways, when integrating, what are you actually doing, and how could you do it graphically (às in derivating - tangent of the curve)?

I don't know how I can find the derivative when I don't know the equation. On the graph, the y-axis is not very well labeled, so I don't know how to find a tangent line.

To find the derivative from a function graphically, you draw a tangent at the desired point of the function.

Integration is calculating the area.

I just don't understand how I can integrate the graph, when I don't know the original function, and the graph isn't labeled well enough to get a close enough approximation of the force.

From what you're saying we can't really help you unless we see the graph

You would want to integrate that, but I'm not really sure how you would go about doing so.. you could estimate it pretty well by some meticulous eyeballing but if you need an exact answer I guess what you'd have to do is model the curve. It looks pretty quadratic to me..

Well, supposing it is quadratic, one gets the friendly formula: f(x) = -1.2e9x^2 + 6e6x. One can then work out the impulse. I don't think that's what the teacher wanted, it was probably meant to be an approximation.

Is there a way to figure out the final velocity? I know that the initial velocity is 0 since it's at rest. I'm thinking maybe I need to use final momentum- initial momentum for the impulse since the graph isn't very easy to read.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Impulse = m * delta-v. The impulse is the area under the graph.

Last edited:

1. What is a force vs time graph?

A force vs time graph is a visual representation of the relationship between the amount of force applied to an object and the time over which the force is applied. The graph typically shows the force on the vertical axis and the time on the horizontal axis.

2. How is the impulse of a soccer ball kick calculated from a force vs time graph?

The impulse of a soccer ball kick can be calculated by finding the area under the force vs time graph. This can be done by dividing the graph into smaller sections and calculating the area of each section, then adding them together to find the total impulse.

3. What does the slope of a force vs time graph represent?

The slope of a force vs time graph represents the change in force over time. A steeper slope indicates a larger change in force, while a flatter slope represents a smaller change in force.

4. How does the shape of a force vs time graph affect the impulse?

The shape of a force vs time graph can affect the impulse in different ways. A longer and flatter graph indicates a longer time over which the force is applied, resulting in a larger impulse. A shorter and steeper graph indicates a shorter time over which the force is applied, resulting in a smaller impulse.

5. How does the mass of the soccer ball affect the force vs time graph and the impulse?

The mass of the soccer ball can affect the force vs time graph and the impulse in two ways. Firstly, a heavier ball will require a greater amount of force to be kicked, resulting in a steeper force vs time graph and a larger impulse. Secondly, a heavier ball will also take longer to reach its maximum velocity, resulting in a longer force vs time graph and a larger impulse.