Acidity of fumaric acid and maleic acid

• Thread starter dibilo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid
In summary, the cis form of maleic acid is more acidic than fumaric acid due to the ability to form intramolecular hydrogen bonds, stabilizing the monoanion through resonance. Additionally, the furamate monoanion is more acidic than the malate monoanion due to the presence of a proton that takes priority over the delocalized negative charge.
dibilo
hi all, i understand that maleic acid being in cis form is more acidic than fumaric acid.
is it due to the fact that because of the cis configuration, it can form intramolecular H bonds which then stablises the monoanion through resonance or?
then in the monoanion form, furamate monoanion is more acidic than malate monoanion... haha this i have no idea why... can anyone here please give me some guidance? any help would be greatly appreciated =)

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
can anyone help me please? i am in a total lost T_T

The acidity of the first proton is greater for maleic acid, the second proton is not very acidic, fumaric acid has the more acidic second proton.

The conjugate anion formed from the first dissociation is stabilized by the neighboring acidic group for maleic acid, the negative charge is de-intensified. WIth two neighboring negative anions, however, you have a very unstable motif.

dibilo said:
hi all, i understand that maleic acid being in cis form is more acidic than fumaric acid.
is it due to the fact that because of the cis configuration, it can form intramolecular H bonds which then stablises the monoanion through resonance or?
then in the monoanion form, furamate monoanion is more acidic than malate monoanion... haha this i have no idea why... can anyone here please give me some guidance? any help would be greatly appreciated =)

Hi
I think the foramate is more acidic because even if there is a delocalise electron but thereis also a proton on the other side which should be taken as a priority, while for malate the proton that in left is busy stabilising the oxygen's negative charge.

:smile:
thembi said:
Hi
I think the foramate is more acidic because even if there is a delocalise electron but thereis also a proton on the other side which should be taken as a priority, while for malate the proton that in left is busy stabilising the oxygen's negative charge.

1. What is the difference between fumaric acid and maleic acid?

Fumaric acid and maleic acid are both dicarboxylic acids, meaning they contain two carboxylic acid functional groups. However, they have different chemical structures and properties. Fumaric acid is a trans-isomer, while maleic acid is a cis-isomer, which affects their acidity and other chemical reactions.

2. Which acid is more acidic, fumaric acid or maleic acid?

Maleic acid is more acidic than fumaric acid. This is because the cis-isomer of maleic acid allows for stronger intramolecular hydrogen bonding, making it more stable and therefore more acidic.

3. How do the acidities of fumaric acid and maleic acid compare to other common acids?

Fumaric acid and maleic acid have similar acidities to other common acids such as citric acid and ascorbic acid. However, they are less acidic than strong mineral acids like sulfuric acid and hydrochloric acid.

4. Can fumaric acid and maleic acid be used interchangeably in chemical reactions?

No, fumaric acid and maleic acid cannot be used interchangeably in chemical reactions. Due to their different chemical structures, they have different reactivities and may produce different products in reactions.

5. What are the industrial uses of fumaric acid and maleic acid?

Fumaric acid is commonly used in the food industry as an acidulant and flavor enhancer. It is also used in the production of resins and polymers. Maleic acid is used in the production of various chemicals, including detergents, adhesives, and pharmaceuticals. It is also used in the synthesis of fumaric acid and other compounds.