How Does Circuit Resistance Change with Increasing Triangle Numbers?

In summary, the problem involves circuits made of triangles with resistors, where the resistance of each resistor is R. The shown part of the circuit is connected to a source with points A and B. The number of triangles, n, can be 1, 3, 6, 10, 15, 21, etc. The objective is to find the function of the resistance of the circuit, f(n), as n increases. The grey line in the explanation drawing represents the vertical symmetry axis, and the points a, b, c, d, e have the same potential. However, when n = 10, the equivalent circuit cannot be drawn, making it difficult to find the function of the resistance. Other techniques may
Petrulis

Homework Statement

First of all, there is an an attachment called EXPLANATION which shows the situation and what I have done so far.

So we have got some circuits which are made of triangles (each triangle is made of three resistors (resistors here are shown as rectangles)). The resistance of each resistor is R. The shown part of the circuit is connected to the source with points A and B.

We increse the number of triangles. The first circuit is made of n = 1 triangle, the second circuit has got n = 3 triangles and so on (so n can be equal to 1;3;6;10;15;21...).

I need to find out how the resistance of the circuit depends on n. So I really have to find out the function
(resistance of the circuit) = f(n).

So as you see I can calculate the resistance when n =1;3 and 6, but I stop when I reach n=10.

Homework Equations

Each circuit has got vertical symmetry axis (it is the grey line in the EXPLANATION drawing. This grey line is not the part of the circuit). So the points a, b, c, d, e has got the same potentials, and when we draw the equivalent circuit, we can connect these points with a wire.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I can't draw the equivalent circuit when n = 10, and I can't find out how the resistance of the circuit depends on n.
Maybe I should use other techniques for simplifying the circuit?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• EXPLANATION.JPG
    EXPLANATION.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 366
Physics news on Phys.org
Pleas someone have a look at this problem. It is very important for me.

I would suggest using Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law to analyze the circuit and determine the resistance. Kirchhoff's laws state that the sum of currents entering a node must equal the sum of currents leaving the node, and the sum of voltage drops in a closed loop must equal the sum of voltage sources. Ohm's law states that the current through a resistor is directly proportional to the voltage across it and inversely proportional to its resistance.

To simplify the circuit, you can use series and parallel combinations of resistors. In series, the resistors add up to give a total resistance, while in parallel, the inverse of the total resistance is equal to the sum of the inverses of each individual resistance. By using these combinations, you can reduce the circuit to a simpler form and calculate the resistance.

Another approach could be to use the concept of equivalent resistance. This is where you replace a complicated circuit with a single resistor that has the same resistance as the original circuit. The equivalent resistance can be calculated using a formula, and it would make it easier to determine the dependence of resistance on n.

Overall, my suggestion would be to use a combination of these techniques to simplify the circuit and calculate the resistance as a function of n. This will help you understand the relationship between resistance and the number of triangles in the circuit.

1. What is the resistance of a circuit?

The resistance of a circuit is a measure of how difficult it is for electric current to flow through it. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and is represented by the symbol "R".

2. How is resistance calculated?

The resistance of a circuit can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the current (I), or R = V/I. It can also be calculated using the formula R = ρL/A, where ρ is the resistivity of the material, L is the length of the circuit, and A is the cross-sectional area.

3. What factors affect the resistance of a circuit?

The resistance of a circuit is affected by three main factors: the length of the circuit, the cross-sectional area of the circuit, and the type of material used. Longer circuits have higher resistance, while thicker wires and materials with lower resistivity have lower resistance.

4. How does temperature affect the resistance of a circuit?

The resistance of a circuit increases as the temperature increases. This is because as the temperature increases, the atoms in the material vibrate more, causing more collisions and hindering the flow of electric current. Some materials, such as thermistors, have a negative temperature coefficient, meaning their resistance decreases as temperature increases.

5. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits in terms of resistance?

In a series circuit, the resistances add up to give the total resistance of the circuit. This means that the more resistors added, the higher the total resistance will be. In a parallel circuit, the total resistance is less than the smallest individual resistance. This is because the current has multiple paths to flow through, reducing the overall resistance.