Could Oil from the Gulf of Mexico Be Causing Oily Residue on Windows in the UK?

In summary, there is an oily residue visible on external glass surfaces in the UK after strong winds, possibly due to an industrial source rather than Hurricane Tomas lifting oil from the Gulf of Mexico. The surfactant in the Gulf may be lasting longer due to cavitation and emulsion stabilities.
scupydog
After some very strong winds last night here, in the U.K. There is an oily type residue which is visible on external glass surfaces ie windscreens. This effect has happened over a 25 mile radius as i know off. Could this be any thing to with hurricane tomas, lifting oil from the surface in the gulf of Mexico and it some how made its way to the U.K. (via the gulf stream... maybe).

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Absolutely not. Oil would not carry well in the atmosphere, and even if it did---it would certainly become far too dilute to make a noticeably effect on your window.

scupydog said:
After some very strong winds last night here, in the U.K. There is an oily type residue which is visible on external glass surfaces ie windscreens. This effect has happened over a 25 mile radius as i know off. Could this be any thing to with hurricane tomas, lifting oil from the surface in the gulf of Mexico and it some how made its way to the U.K. (via the gulf stream... maybe).

I think it is unlikely to be from the BP spill. The heat of the Gulf Stream would have evaporated off the more volatile components of the oil, leaving clumps of what would appear to be a lot like asphalt. The farther north it moves into the north Atlantic the less likely it is that something is going to evaporate from the surface.

It may be that wind-whipped particles of oil-water mixture were blown into the atmosphere by a storm, however, if it was lifted locally from the Gulf Stream in your area. Any water Tomas picked up in the Gulf would have rained out long before reaching your town. The droplets would be very thick when they dried out on your window. If it is still clearly a liquid then it must be from something else (and is probably from something else anyway).

But all of this is based on my basic understanding of physics. An expert might know something better.

Thx for your answers, I'm still trying to find out what it was from searching the web.

It might have to have it shifted into the unexplained file..

I would look for a closer industrial source.

I am guessing it's too late to take a sample huh?

Hmmm...

Are micelle encapsulations of lighter fractions of crude oil capable of undergoing evaporation from the surface of the ocean ? Something I was curious about too.

scupydog said:
After some very strong winds last night here, in the U.K. There is an oily type residue which is visible on external glass surfaces ie windscreens.

Diesel engines produce microdroplets of unburned fuel. These coat many surfaces in urban areas. I can't think why they would be exacerbated by strong winds, however. I tend to go along with Hypatia, and think some local industrial source might be the culprit.

Isaacsname said:
Are micelle encapsulations of lighter fractions of crude oil capable of undergoing evaporation from the surface of the ocean ? Something I was curious about too.

Unlikely. Way too heavy.

Borek said:
Unlikely. Way too heavy.

Thanks, it was my suspicion that it was not impossible, just highly improbable for that reason.

Borek, do you have any good ideas why the surfactant in the Gulf is lasting so long ?

I spent the past summer trying to cram multiphase fluid dynamics in an attempt to understand what was going on at the Horizon wellhead. What I was able to discern ( probably wrong ) was that cavitation increases the likelyhood of emulsion stabilities where surfactants are added into the process, something about Zeta potentials ( please correct me if wrong ).

Were you following that story at all ?

Thanks,

Isaac

What causes oily residue on windows?

There are a few potential causes for oily residue on windows. One common cause is the build-up of dirt and grime on the surface of the window, which can mix with natural oils from our skin or other sources and create a greasy film. Another possible cause is the use of certain cleaning products that contain oils or other ingredients that can leave a residue behind. Additionally, air pollution and environmental factors can contribute to oily residue on windows.

How can I prevent oily residue from forming on my windows?

To prevent oily residue from forming on your windows, it is important to regularly clean them with a suitable window cleaner. Avoid using cleaning products that contain oils or other ingredients that can leave a residue behind. Additionally, be sure to properly rinse and dry the windows after cleaning to remove any remaining residue. Keeping the surrounding area clean and free of dirt and grime can also help prevent oily residue from forming.

Can oily residue on windows be harmful to my health?

In most cases, oily residue on windows is not harmful to your health. However, if the residue is caused by the use of cleaning products that contain harmful chemicals, it is important to take precautions such as wearing gloves and ensuring proper ventilation when using these products. Oily residue can also attract and trap allergens and irritants, so it is important to keep windows clean to maintain indoor air quality.

How do I remove oily residue from my windows?

The best way to remove oily residue from windows is to use a window cleaner specifically designed for this purpose. You can also make your own cleaning solution using a mixture of equal parts water and vinegar. Avoid using oil-based cleaners or products with ingredients that can leave a residue. For tougher residue, you may need to use a soft-bristled brush or sponge to scrub the window before wiping it clean.

Is it normal for new windows to have oily residue?

It is not uncommon for new windows to have a thin layer of oily residue on them. This residue can be a result of the manufacturing process or leftover cleaning products used during installation. It is important to properly clean and remove this residue before using the windows. If the residue persists, you may need to contact the manufacturer for further assistance.