Component of the quadrupole Q_ij

• Thread starter ellocomateo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Component
In summary, the conversation is discussing the link between the component of a quadrupole Q_ij and the spatial distribution of the electric quadrupole field. The Q_ij can be imagined as an ellipsoid, with the strength of the quadrupole along a given direction being represented by the ellipsoid's radius. The conversation also mentions slide 12 of a file that shows the azimuthal gradient of V(r,θ,φ) and its relationship to the i and j axes. The conversation concludes with a discussion about labeling the axes on the plot, with the speaker noting that the plot is a combination of the gradient and equipotential lines of V(r,θ,φ).
ellocomateo
Hello,

I do not manage to visualize the link between the component of the quadrupole Q_ij and the spatial distribution of the electric quadrupole field.

I was told to imagine the Q_ij as an ellipsoid, which I understand (the ellipsoid "radius" in a given direction being the strength of the quadrupole along this direction). Yet what is the link between the Q_ij and the usual representation in Slide 12 of this file?:
cems.uvm.edu/~oughstun/LectureNotes141/Topic_09%20%28ElectrostaticMultipoles%29.pdf

In particular, I want to find out when does the gradient \nabla_k Q_ij equal zero? When i,j =! k ?

Pleeeease, help!

Physics news on Phys.org

The azimuthal gradient of V(r,θ,[itex]\varphi[/itex]) in slide 11 is proportional to [itex] \frac{d}{d\theta}\left(3\cos^2\theta-1 \right)=6\sin\theta\cos\theta=3\sin\left(2\theta \right) [/itex]

Thank you for commenting, but how does this translate to the i and j ?

ellocomateo said:
Thank you for commenting, but how does this translate to the i and j ?
Perhaps you and I are looking at different slides and/or files. I am looking at slide 12 of the file
www.cems.uvm.edu/~oughstun/LectureNotes141/Topic_09%20%28ElectrostaticMultipoles%29.pdf
which is a plot of the equipotential lines of V(r,θ,φ) of a linear electric quadrupole.

Last edited by a moderator:

We are looking on the same graph, but I still do not see how I should label the axes.
There is no information whatsoever on this point. Or at least I do not see it.

The plot is a combination of the gradient and the equipotential lines of V(r,θ,φ) using r and z as axes. The four-fold symmetry indicates it is a quadrupole field.

1. What is the component of the quadrupole Q_ij?

The component of the quadrupole Q_ij refers to the elements of a tensor that describes the distribution of electric charge within a system. It is a measure of the asymmetry of the charge distribution and is commonly used in physics and engineering calculations.

2. How is the component of the quadrupole Q_ij calculated?

The component of the quadrupole Q_ij is calculated by taking the second derivative of the electric potential with respect to each coordinate axis. This results in a 3x3 matrix with six unique elements, as some of the elements are symmetric.

3. What are the units of the component of the quadrupole Q_ij?

The units of the component of the quadrupole Q_ij depend on the units of the electric potential used in the calculation. However, in SI units, the component of the quadrupole Q_ij has units of meters squared per Coulomb (m^2/C).

4. How is the component of the quadrupole Q_ij used in physics?

The component of the quadrupole Q_ij is used in various fields of physics, including electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and astronomy. It is used to calculate the electric field and potential of a system, as well as to study the shape and symmetry of molecules and atomic nuclei.

5. Can the component of the quadrupole Q_ij be negative?

Yes, the component of the quadrupole Q_ij can be negative. This indicates an asymmetrical charge distribution where there is a greater concentration of charge in one direction compared to another. However, in some cases, the component of the quadrupole Q_ij may be defined as a positive value for convenience, even if it represents a negative charge distribution.