Is the B-theory of Time Presupposed by Relativity?

In summary: We focus on summarizing content and providing information. In summary, the conversation discussed the relationship between relativity and the B-theory of time and the speaker's personal preference for the A-theory. It was also noted that there is no clear resolution to this philosophical issue and that it does not affect the application of relativity in science.
kq6up
Is it possible to assume relativity is still basically correct and reject the b-theory of time? Or does a coherent description of relativity necessarily presuppose it?

I find b-theory so repugnant.

Thanks,
Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
kq6up said:
Is it possible to assume relativity is still basically correct and reject the b-theory of time? Or does a coherent description of relativity necessarily presuppose it?

I find b-theory so repugnant.

Thanks,
Chris

Looking up "B-theory" in wikipedia, it appears to be a philosophical position regarding time. Obviously I haven't studied this issue much if I had to look up what "B-theory" was :(.

While I can't answer your question, I can say is that cause and effect in special relativity is modeled through the mechanism of light-cones. Any individual event in space-time has a past (the past light cone), a future(the future light cone), and a 4-dimensonal set of events which are neither past, nor future, usually called "space-like separated events".

Any pair of space-like separated events (in which neither event is inside the lightcone of the other) will be seen as simultaneous for some observer. Different observers will disagree on their notions of simultaneity (as per relativity of simultaneity).

While individual events have a past and a future, there isn't any global notion of "past", "future", or "present" imposed by the theory.

I would suspect if the issue is still being argued over that there isn't any actual resolution of the philosophical issues. Most likely neither theory makes testable predictions, which is what we look for in science and distinguishes science from philosophy. With no testable predictions, there's no way to say that A or B is "wrong", so I would expect that you should be able to do relativity in either A or B philosophy. But perhaps not with equal ease.

Sorry I couldn't answer your question, I hope my more general remarks were still of interest.

Sorry, but we don't discuss philosophy here.

1. What is the B-theory of time?

The B-theory of time, also known as the "block universe" theory, is a philosophical concept that suggests that time is a dimension similar to space and that past, present, and future events all exist simultaneously.

2. How does the B-theory of time relate to relativity?

The B-theory of time is often thought to be supported by the theory of relativity, as it suggests that time is not an absolute concept and can be influenced by factors such as gravity and velocity. This aligns with the idea of time dilation in relativity.

3. Is the B-theory of time widely accepted?

The B-theory of time is a highly debated topic among philosophers and scientists. While some support the idea, others argue that it goes against our common-sense understanding of time and the concept of free will.

4. What are some criticisms of the B-theory of time?

One major criticism of the B-theory of time is that it does not account for the subjective experience of time and the feeling of the passage of time. It also raises questions about the existence of meaningful choices and the possibility of changing the future.

5. Can the B-theory of time be proven or disproven?

As a philosophical concept, the B-theory of time cannot be proven or disproven by scientific evidence. It is a matter of personal interpretation and belief. However, advancements in physics and our understanding of the universe may provide more insights into the nature of time in the future.