How to Calculate Current Distribution in a Circuit?

• Thread starter jcpwn2004
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current
In summary, the student is seeking help with part B of their homework, stating that they found part A to be useless and the resistance of the circuit to be 5 ohms. They provide an image of the circuit and the equation V=IR. They attempt to solve the problem by finding the voltage change through the 5 ohm resistor and then struggle to find the current through the rest of the circuit. They are advised to use the formula V=IR to find the current in each arm of the circuit, which is inversely proportional to the resistance. The student then confirms their understanding of the solution by stating that the 6 ohm resistor will have a current of 0.33A, the 3 ohm resistor will
jcpwn2004

Homework Statement

I just need help with part B, I'm pretty sure part A is useless but I found Req to be 5 ohm

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/4499/physicsrh2.jpg

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

Well basically I found the voltage change going through the 5ohm to be 10v but then I don't understand how to find the current through anywhere else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
if the current through the [itex]5 \Omega[/itex] resistor is 2A, then the current through the assembly of the 3 resistors i.e. the assembly of the [itex]6 \Omega[/itex], [itex]3 \Omega[/itex] and [itex]2 \Omega[/itex] is also 2A as both these assemblies are in series.

So, for the assembly of three resistors, you have the incoming current as 2A. When the current splits in more than two arms, the current in each arm is inversely proportional to current. This follows from the formula V = IR, as all three arms are in parallel, they are across the same potential difference and I becomes inversely proportional to R.

So, if the arms have resistances in ratio 1:2:3, the current in each arm will split in the ratio 3:2:1 i.e. the arm with the lowest resistance will have the highest current through it.. however the ratio still holds.

In your example, the resistances are in the ratio 6:3:2. Hence the current will be in the ratio 2:3:6. How does this divide into 2A of current? Construct a linear equation and solve for it. You shall have your answer...

rohanprabhu said:
if the current through the [itex]5 \Omega[/itex] resistor is 2A, then the current through the assembly of the 3 resistors i.e. the assembly of the [itex]6 \Omega[/itex], [itex]3 \Omega[/itex] and [itex]2 \Omega[/itex] is also 2A as both these assemblies are in series.

So, for the assembly of three resistors, you have the incoming current as 2A. When the current splits in more than two arms, the current in each arm is inversely proportional to current. This follows from the formula V = IR, as all three arms are in parallel, they are across the same potential difference and I becomes inversely proportional to R.

So, if the arms have resistances in ratio 1:2:3, the current in each arm will split in the ratio 3:2:1 i.e. the arm with the lowest resistance will have the highest current through it.. however the ratio still holds.

In your example, the resistances are in the ratio 6:3:2. Hence the current will be in the ratio 2:3:6. How does this divide into 2A of current? Construct a linear equation and solve for it. You shall have your answer...

Thanks for the help, I don't really understand to show the science but basically the 6ohm resistor will get .33A, 3ohm will get .66A and the 2ohm will get 1A? How do I show that?

jcpwn2004 said:
Thanks for the help, I don't really understand to show the science but basically the 6ohm resistor will get .33A, 3ohm will get .66A and the 2ohm will get 1A? How do I show that?

well.. yes.. you have got it right. What exactly do you need help with showing? The principle behind this method or the mathematical solution of the answer?

1. How do you calculate the current in a circuit?

The current in a circuit can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). This can be represented by the formula I = V/R.

2. What is the difference between alternating current (AC) and direct current (DC)?

AC is a type of electrical current that periodically reverses direction, while DC flows in only one direction. AC is typically used in household electrical systems, while DC is used in batteries and electronic devices.

3. How does the number of components in a circuit affect the current?

The number of components in a circuit does not directly affect the current. However, the resistance of each component does affect the overall current, as adding more components in series increases the total resistance and decreases the current, while adding more components in parallel decreases the total resistance and increases the current.

4. What is the relationship between voltage and current in a circuit?

The relationship between voltage and current in a circuit is directly proportional, meaning that as voltage increases, current also increases. This is because a higher voltage provides more energy for the electrons to flow through the circuit, resulting in a larger current.

5. How can you measure the current in a circuit?

The current in a circuit can be measured using an ammeter, which is a device that measures the flow of electric current. It is typically connected in series with the circuit, meaning that it is placed in the path of the current. The reading on the ammeter will indicate the current in the circuit.