DC Generator: Can AC Devices Function With DC Power?

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a DC generator with 100% theoretical efficiency and whether AC devices can function with DC power. It is noted that most devices are designed for AC and would not work the same on DC. The efficiency of the generator is questioned and the use of a principle called "Motional EMF" is mentioned. The practical applications of the DC generator in reducing fuel consumption and maintenance in the telecommunication field are also discussed.
prudhvi mohan
I have created blueprint for a DC generator.THEORITICALLY it is 100% power efficient,it involves no AC in PRODUCTION,i need to know whether AC devices we work daily cope up with dc power or not?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
100% efficiency? Practically? That sounds too good to be true.
Nevertheless, AC devices will definitely not work with DC current, the whole point of being designed for AC is lost. Most devices use AC either to be more efficient, or simply because their function demands so. It is highly unlikely that they would function the same on DC.
At least that's what I think. I could be wrong, of course.

Ok, I'll bite. How exactly do you measure the efficiency of a "blueprint"?

1: there is nothing practically 100% power efficient. BTW what is principle of operation?
2: devices that would work on DC
*universal motors used in mixer grinders, drilling machines, etc(series motors with brushes)
*heaters
*filament lamps
3. devices that would not work on DC:
*induction motors
*transformers...

You cloud use an inverter to transform dc voltage/current to ac.

extremely sorry ,it is THEORITICALLY 100% efficient,
ih,ve said it as PRACTICALLY,the principle i used is MOTIONAL EMF

it is theoritically 100% efficient not practically,there may be some power loss due to friction,etc

I seriously doubt that you would have the knowledge to build a very efficient dc motor without knowing the difference between AC and DC devices.

prudhvi mohan said:
extremely sorry ,it is THEORITICALLY 100% efficient,
ih,ve said it as PRACTICALLY,the principle i used is MOTIONAL EMF

What is "Motional EMF", please?

PRACTICALLY in telecommunication field, DC-Generator can reduce fuel consumption till 70%, reduce maintenance from monthly maintenance to become every six month.
No need rectifier
No need transfer switch
No.....

1. Can AC devices function with DC power?

Yes, AC devices can function with DC power, but they may require additional components such as inverters or converters to convert the DC power to AC power.

2. How does a DC generator produce AC power?

A DC generator produces AC power through the use of a commutator, which is a mechanical switch that periodically reverses the direction of the current in the generator's windings, resulting in alternating current.

3. Can a DC generator be used to power a household?

Yes, a DC generator can be used to power a household, but it may not be as efficient or practical as using an AC generator or connecting to the power grid.

4. Can a DC generator produce different voltages?

Yes, a DC generator can produce different voltages by changing the number of windings in the generator or by adjusting the strength of the magnetic field.

5. What are the advantages of using a DC generator over an AC generator?

One advantage of using a DC generator is that it can be more efficient in certain applications, such as in electric vehicles. DC generators also tend to be simpler in design compared to AC generators.