Is dating after college as tough as navigating the grown up world?

• Thread starter KingNothing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of dating after college and the challenges that come with it. Some suggested trying online dating, while others recommended joining social groups or activities to meet people. The conversation also touched on humorous anecdotes and references to movies and TV shows.
KingNothing
I graduated college and am looking at moving to a new place. I would like to hear some stories and experiences of people who were single after college, and how difficult/easy the dating game was in "the grown up world".

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends how extrovert you are. Are you afraid to talk to strangers? Do you find yourself chatting with women in supermarkets? parks? your building? or any other place?

Do you mind taking up other activities such as dancing? or gym? or other where you might meet new friends.

okcupid.com

teehee.

Pengwuino said:
okcupid.com

teehee.

Yes, but this limits you to mostly single mom's and nutcases.

It can be difficult depending on the area you live in and type of person you are looking to date. I prefer the smart and well educated type which was pretty much non-existent where I lived and work right after I graduated. Although my love life hasn't really changed much now that I'm back in school, if I actually had time to date I imagine it would be much easier going in school and living in a college town full of people my age.

Topher925 said:
Yes, but this limits you to mostly single mom's and nutcases.

It can be difficult depending on the area you live in and type of person you are looking to date. I prefer the smart and well educated type which was pretty much non-existent where I lived and work right after I graduated. Although my love life hasn't really changed much now that I'm back in school, if I actually had time to date I imagine it would be much easier going in school and living in a college town full of people my age.

Nonsense.

Or well, maybe.

A few of us have gone onto OKC to laugh at peoples profiles (actually it turns out only people in Belgium have profiles that are hilarious) and it's really not that bad. The internet dating scene really seems to be maturing. I have yet to be swindled out of $10,000 for a nigerian princess.

When you're on OKC, you might get messages from people who want to make "movies" in their basement. But aside from that, it's a pretty cool site :biggrin:

I'm not extroverted at all. I tend not to talk to people.

KingNothing said:

Then yes, dating will be tough...

KingNothing said:

Ok, so write to them!
I mean online dating could be useful for people like you...

Heh, well, I'm not a total outcast, I'm just not the type to strike up random conversations.

KingNothing said:
Heh, well, I'm not a total outcast, I'm just not the type to strike up random conversations.

The best thing I ever did was join a soccer league. I've dated maybe 5-6 great girls from my soccer teams over the past few years. Volleyball or Kickball leagues would be good too!

Steve Martin said:
I do agree with you friend and i think that to spend time in gym is better than to spend time with girl friend.
Do you like gladiator movies?

Steve Martin said:
I do agree with you friend and i think that to spend time in gym is better than to spend time with girl friend.

Have you ever been in a Turkish prison?

Do you like to see grown men naked?(too far?)

All seriousness aside. What are your hobbies?

I mean social hobbies.

Do them.

I've always been a fan of yelling honest compliments out the car window to people I don't know. I don't think that counts.

Biking, hiking, climbing, disc golfing...these are social but I would need to know some people just to start.

KingNothing said:
I've always been a fan of yelling honest compliments out the car window to people I don't know. I don't think that counts.

Biking, hiking, climbing, disc golfing...these are social but I would need to know some people just to start.

Look for http://www.meetup.com/" in your area. I joined a hiking group recently. I was a bit worried showing up as an unaccompanied female but it was really great, not awkward at all. I met some fun people, too!

Last edited by a moderator:
lisab said:
Look for http://www.meetup.com/" in your area. I joined a hiking group recently. I was a bit worried showing up as an unaccompanied female but it was really great, not awkward at all. I met some fun people, too!
Oooh, tonight there is a local witches' coven meeting, but only members of the coven are allowed. :frown:

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
Oooh, tonight there is a local witches' coven meeting, but only members of the coven are allowed. :frown:

http://witches.meetup.com/
:bugeye::rofl:

Perhaps I could meet a druid or a warlock. :uhh:

Evo said:

That will be so amazing :!)

Evo said:

Calling Doctor Bombay!

Vanadium 50 said:
Calling Doctor Bombay!
Lol, I wonder how many people here know that reference?

Evo said:
Lol, I wonder how many people here know that reference?
It congers up images of Darrin yelling - "Samantha!"

1. How do I meet people outside of college for dating?

After college, it can be challenging to meet new people for dating. One way is to try joining clubs or organizations related to your interests, attending social events, or using dating apps. You can also ask friends to introduce you to potential dating partners.

2. Is it harder to find a serious relationship after college?

It can be more challenging to find a serious relationship after college since people have different priorities and may be focused on their careers. However, it is still possible to find a meaningful relationship by being open to new experiences and actively seeking connections with others.

3. Are there any benefits to dating after college?

Dating after college can have its advantages. You have more independence and freedom to explore different relationships without the pressure of settling down. You can also learn more about yourself and what you want in a partner.

4. How can I balance dating with starting my career?

Balancing dating and a career can be challenging, but communication and time management are key. Make sure to communicate your priorities and schedule with your partner and find ways to make time for each other. Also, try incorporating date nights or activities that align with your career goals.

5. What if I haven't dated much in college?

Not everyone has the same dating experiences in college, and that's okay. It's never too late to start dating, and there are plenty of people in the same boat as you. Take your time and don't be afraid to put yourself out there and try new things. Remember that everyone has their own timeline for relationships.