Superconductivity - speed of light change?

In summary, my Cosmology prof mentioned something during class a few days ago that the driving force behind Superconductivity is that the speed of light changes. He said that the photon gains mass as a result. This phenomenon was actually discovered by Anderson and the later work by Higgs and others was about generalizing it to relativistic and nonabelian gauge theory. What happens is essentially that Cooper pairs behave like a scalar field with a nonzero vacuum expectation value. The U(1) gauge symmetry is broken and the would-be Goldstone boson adds to the 2 photon degrees of freedom to complete a massive vector field. This explains the Meissner effect. External fields can only penetrate to a distance of h/Mc, resulting
Clever-Name
So my Cosmology prof (who does research in String Theory) mentioned something during class a few days ago that the driving factor behind Superconductivity is that the speed of light changes.

Someone in my class spoke to him after the lecture about it and he rambled on about something to do with cooper-pairs requiring a change in the electromagnetic force law and this demands that the speed of light changes.

I have never heard of this before, I have been to several rudimentary lectures on superconductivity and I have only ever come across Cooper Pairs and phonons being the driving force behind superconductivity.

Does anyone have any idea what my prof was talking about and could shed some light on it? I have done a few google searches and have turned up empty-handed. Was he just mumbling some higher-dimension mumbo-jumbo or is his statement valid.

Physics news on Phys.org
Photons inside a superconductor actually get a mass from the abelian Higgs mechanism. This phenomenon was actually discovered by Anderson and the later work by Higgs and others was about generalizing it to relativistic and nonabelian gauge theory. What happens is essentially that Cooper pairs behave like a scalar field with a nonzero vacuum expectation value. The U(1) gauge symmetry is broken and the would-be Goldstone boson adds to the 2 photon degrees of freedom to complete a massive vector field.

This seems more a consequence of superconductivity, while the formation of Cooper pairs is the cause. The photon mass does, however, explain the Meissner effect. Since the photon has a mass, the EM force in a superconductor is short-range (due to an exponential damping in the force law). External fields can only penetrate to a distance of [itex]h/Mc[/itex], resulting in the "expulsion" of a magnetic field from a superconductor.

This is discussed in many places, but if you have a QFT background, you might look at the discussion in Atchison and Hey's gauge theory text (the google preview is missing important pages).

@fzero Ahhhh, yes that is what he said, the photon gains mass. Interesting! I don't have QFT background but I'll take a look around now that I know what I'm looking for. Thanks!

Weinberg, Quantum theory of fields, (I think vol. 2) has also a very nice discussion of the subject which brings out the underlying symmetry principles very nicely.

1. What is superconductivity?

Superconductivity is a phenomenon where certain materials exhibit zero electrical resistance and expel magnetic fields when cooled below a certain temperature, called the critical temperature.

2. How does superconductivity affect the speed of light?

In superconductors, the speed of light is not directly affected. However, the speed at which electrical signals travel through a superconductor is significantly increased due to the lack of resistance. This is known as the London penetration depth and is a key characteristic of superconductivity.

3. What is the critical temperature for superconductivity?

The critical temperature for superconductivity varies depending on the material. Some materials, such as aluminum, have critical temperatures close to absolute zero (-273.15 degrees Celsius), while others like mercury have critical temperatures closer to room temperature.

4. Can the speed of light be faster in a superconductor?

No, the speed of light is a fundamental constant and cannot be changed. However, the speed at which electrical signals travel through a superconductor is faster than in non-superconducting materials due to the lack of resistance.

5. Are there any practical applications for superconductivity and its effect on the speed of light?

Yes, the increased speed of electrical signals in superconductors has practical applications in technologies such as MRI machines, particle accelerators, and high-speed computing. It also has potential for use in high-speed transportation systems such as maglev trains.