Change in Density due to Temperature and Pressure Change

In summary, at 2000^\circ C and 5000 atm of pressure in the Earth, the volume of iron becomes 0.17413 times the initial volume, but the density remains the same.
JSGandora

Homework Statement

Estimate the percent change in density of iron when it is still a solid, but deep in the Earth where the temperature is [itex]2000^\circ C[/itex] and it is under [itex]5000[/itex] atm of pressure. Take into account both thermal expansion and changes due to increased outside pressure. Assume both the bulk modulus and the volume coefficient of expansion do not vary with temperature and are the same as at normal room temperature. The bulk modulus for iron is about [itex]90\times10^9N/m^2[/itex].

We also know that the volumetric expansion coefficient of iron is [itex]35\times10^{-6}(^{\circ}C)^{-1}[/itex].

Also, [itex]1atm=1.103\times10^5N/m^2[/itex].

Homework Equations

[itex]\frac{\Delta V}{V_0}=-\frac{1}{B}\Delta P[/itex] where B is the bulk modulus.
[itex]\Delta V=V_0\beta\Delta T[/itex] where [itex]\beta[/itex] is the volumetric expansion coefficient.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm assuming the change in volumes adds up so we have using the two equations successively, we have
[itex]\frac{\Delta V}{V_0}=\left(-\frac{1}{90\times10^9}\right)\left(5000atm\right) \left(\frac{1.103\times10^5N/m^2}{1atm}\right)=-0.00563[/itex]
and
[itex]\frac{\Delta V}{V_0}=(4975^\circ C)(35\times10^-6\left(^\circ C\right)^{-1}=0.17413[/itex]

So the total change in volume is [itex]0.17413-0.00563=0.168495[/itex].

Then we could easily get the percent change in density. However, I am unsure if I am applying this correctly. Am I allowed to add the change in volumes?

Physics news on Phys.org
JSGandora said:
However, I am unsure if I am applying this correctly. Am I allowed to add the change in volumes?

The volume becomes (1+ΔV/V0) times the initial one in both processes, and you need to multiply them when there is change of volume both because of pressure and temperature. When ΔV/V0<<1, you can simply add the relative changes (with the proper signs) but 0.17 is not very small compared to unity. ehild

Wait, so it should be (0.17413)(-0.00563)=-0.0009803519? That doesn't make intuitive sense to me. Why do we multiply the change in volumes?

JSGandora said:
Wait, so it should be (0.17413)(-0.00563)=-0.0009803519?

NO. We multiply the volume ratios. V/V0=1.17413*(1-0.00563)=1.16752. ΔV/V0=0.16752.

ehild

Oh, I see now. Could you explain why it must be multiplied? I don't understand.

The formulae for volume change due to pressure and temperature refer to cases when the other quantity is constant. Pretend you put the piece of iron at high pressure first, when the volume decreases by Vo(ΔP/B). The new volume, V1=Vo(1-ΔP/B) is warmed up, and the new volume serves as "Vo" in thermal expansion. But the results are almost the same, and the the formulae are approximations anyway. So both ways should be accepted for the relative change of the volume, which is 0.168 with 3 significant digits by both methods.

ehild

Oh, thanks you so much. I understand now. :smile:

1. How does temperature affect density?

As temperature increases, the particles in a substance gain kinetic energy and move faster, causing them to spread out. This leads to an increase in volume and a decrease in density. On the other hand, as temperature decreases, particles slow down and become more tightly packed, resulting in a decrease in volume and an increase in density.

2. How does pressure affect density?

In general, an increase in pressure leads to an increase in density. This is because higher pressure squeezes particles closer together, reducing the amount of space between them and resulting in a higher density.

3. How are temperature and pressure related to each other in terms of density?

According to the ideal gas law, temperature and pressure are directly proportional to each other. This means that as temperature increases, pressure also increases, leading to a decrease in density. Similarly, as temperature decreases, pressure decreases, resulting in an increase in density.

4. How do changes in temperature and pressure affect the density of gases compared to liquids and solids?

Unlike gases, the density of liquids and solids is less affected by changes in temperature and pressure. This is because the particles in liquids and solids are already tightly packed and have less room to move, making them less susceptible to changes in volume.

5. Why is it important to consider temperature and pressure when measuring density?

Temperature and pressure can significantly impact the density of a substance, making it important to consider these factors when measuring density. Accurate density measurements are crucial in many scientific fields, such as chemistry and physics, and taking temperature and pressure into account ensures that the measurements are as precise as possible.