What can seismographs tell us about tornadoes and thunderstorms?

• Thread starter Dotini
  • Start date
In summary, a recent study has recorded unusual seismic signals on three stations in southern Illinois, suggesting that the deadly storms that struck the Midwest and South last week were strong enough to create seismic waves. This is a highly unusual occurrence and further research is being done to investigate if seismic signals from strong ocean storms can also be detected. Additionally, it has been observed for many years that storms and cold fronts can be predicted by measuring seismic activity, and there could be potential for further research and analysis of this data.
Dotini
Gold Member
I thought this story was a serendipitous twist on quakes and clouds. It gets me to thinking about the coupling of the lithosphere to our atmosphere.

http://www.ouramazingplanet.com/2583-harrisburg-tornado-seismogram.html
The deadly storms that struck the Midwest and South last week were so strong that they created seismic waves.

One of the twisters that struck southeastern Missouri and southern Illinois on Feb. 29 passed through a seismic detection array that includes more than 100 state-of-the-art digital seismographs across the U.S. heartland. While seismographs have been known to detect seismic activity related to tornadoes, it is highly unusual to have the instruments recording information so close to a tornado, the researchers said.

"In examining the seismograms, we recorded unusual seismic signals on three of our stations in southern Illinois," said Michael Hamburger, a geologist at Indiana University and one of the researchers conducting the experiment. "The seismograms show a strong, low-frequency pulse beginning around 4:45 a.m. [local time] on Feb. 29. Our preliminary interpretation, based on other seismic records of tornadoes, suggests that we were recording not the tornado itself, but a large atmospheric pressure transient related to the large thunderstorms that spawned the tornadoes."

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Hey Steve,

This has been done for some time. Even a number of my USA amateur seismology friends have recorded the vibrations of the ground caused by the nearby passing of tornadoes.
These's also been extensive professional work done using microphones in arrays to pick up ground noise generated by tornadoes.
This I recall may have had something to do with trialing an early warning system

Dave

Last edited:
On a related note there is also some investigation under way to see if seismic signals from strong ocean storms can be detected. Would be useful for shipping I imagine.

JesseC said:
On a related note there is also some investigation under way to see if seismic signals from strong ocean storms can be detected. Would be useful for shipping I imagine.

That has been done for many many years. I can see every cold front/storm system over the ocean several hours hours before it arrives to my local area. The weather system produces a much heavier sea swell that pounds the coastline well ahead of the system arrival.

Its cool to watch the microseism noise rise in data counts on the seismic system :)

cheers
Dave

davenn said:
That has been done for many many years. I can see every cold front/storm system over the ocean several hours hours before it arrives to my local area. The weather system produces a much heavier sea swell that pounds the coastline well ahead of the system arrival.

Its cool to watch the microseism noise rise in data counts on the seismic system :)

cheers
Dave

That is really cool! I'd only briefly read about it on a university website somewhere and didn't realize it was already widespread practise. Is it possible to measure the position and extent of weather systems using multiple seismometers in different locations?

JesseC said:
That is really cool! I'd only briefly read about it on a university website somewhere and didn't realize it was already widespread practise. Is it possible to measure the position and extent of weather systems using multiple seismometers in different locations?

It's been done for years as in the observation of impending storms and cold fronts.

I'm personally not aware as to if anything has ever been done with the data ...
There you go ... A MSc thesis in there for someone. :)

I'm not home for a few more days yet, when I do, will look to see if I have an example seismograph to post for you to see

Dave

What causes tornadoes and earthquakes?

Tornadoes are caused by the interaction of warm, moist air from the Gulf of Mexico and cold, dry air from Canada. As these air masses collide, it creates instability in the atmosphere and can lead to the formation of a tornado. Earthquakes are caused by the movement of tectonic plates, which create stress and pressure along fault lines. When this pressure is released, it causes the ground to shake.

Can tornadoes and earthquakes be predicted?

While scientists have made progress in predicting tornadoes and earthquakes, they are still considered unpredictable events. Tornadoes can sometimes be forecasted a few hours in advance, but the exact location and intensity are difficult to predict. Earthquakes are even more challenging to predict, as they can happen without any warning.

What is the difference between a tornado and a seismic activity?

A tornado is a violent rotating column of air that forms from a thunderstorm, while seismic activity refers to the movement of the Earth's crust caused by tectonic plates shifting. In other words, a tornado is a weather phenomenon, while seismic activity is a geological event.

How do tornadoes and earthquakes affect the environment?

Tornadoes and earthquakes can have a significant impact on the environment. Tornadoes can cause destruction of buildings and vegetation, while also disrupting ecosystems and habitats. Earthquakes can also cause damage to structures and infrastructure, as well as trigger landslides and tsunamis.

Can humans prevent tornadoes and earthquakes?

As of now, there is no technology or method that can prevent or stop tornadoes and earthquakes from occurring. However, scientists continue to study these events to improve prediction and early warning systems, which can help reduce the impact on human lives and property.

Back