Adjective term of pertaining to a non-Earth moon

• Thread starter EBENEZR
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moon Term
In summary, the conversation revolved around finding a suitable adjective to describe a transit of a moon that is not of Earth in a 3D modeling program. Various options such as "lunar transit", "natural satellite transit", and "moon transit" were discussed, with suggestions of using "satellitic" or "moonetary" as alternatives. The conversation also touched on attributive use of nouns and the lack of a specific adjective for moons in this context. The conversation concluded with a humorous suggestion of using the made-up adjective "moonar" or "satellite" transit.
EBENEZR
Sorry I know this may seem banal but it's really bugging me. I'm making space scenes of made up solar systems in a 3d modelling program and I want to name one "a ~ transit".

If it was a generic planet, I could call it a planetary transit, or if it was OUR moon, I could call it a Lunar transit... but what the Dickens am I meant to use for a moon that is not of Earth?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hi EBENEZR! :smile:

I think you're stuck with "lunar". :redface:

Natural sattelite sounds promising.

tiny-tim said:
Hi EBENEZR! :smile:

I think you're stuck with "lunar". :redface:

I may be, I just think it's a little misleading as lunar specifically relates to our moon through mythological references.

Chronos said:
Natural sattelite sounds promising.

That's fine for a noun, but it seems a little clumsy for an adjective 'A lunar transit'/'a natural satellite transit'. I mean if that's the word, then there's nothing I can do, it seems surprising that an unnamed non Earth moon hasn't got its own adjective. I may have to make one up.

Satellitic. It's not a word, but that hasn't stopped people from using it. (www.wordnik.com/words/satellitic) Think of it as being on the cutting edge of etymology.

Eliyak said:
Satellitic. It's not a word, but that hasn't stopped people from using it. (www.wordnik.com/words/satellitic) Think of it as being on the cutting edge of etymology.

"Cutting edge of etymology" - haha! As a language lover this turn of phrase made me laugh. I'm going to use it too.

mfb said:
"a moon transit"?

I don't think that makes sense grammatically though, like how "a planet transit" doesn't.

EBENEZR said:
I don't think that makes sense grammatically though, like how "a planet transit" doesn't.
Attributive use of nouns is grammatically correct, afaik:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/help/dictnotes/attrib.htm [Broken]

You don't use "planet transit" for the simple reason that an equivalent adjective "planetary" is available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moonary? Hmmmm.

Bandersnatch said:
Attributive use of nouns is grammatically correct, afaik:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/help/dictnotes/attrib.htm [Broken]

You don't use "planet transit" for the simple reason that an equivalent adjective "planetary" is available.

Interesting, thanks! I'm just surprised that one hasn't come up, when you consider almost every named moon and planet in the solar system has a denonym or adjectival term, you'd think simply "moon" would be one of the first to have its own. Ho hum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moonar transit. There, problem solved!

MoonarTM
The new, cutting-edge, prescription-free, satellitic adjective straight from PF's linguistic skunkworks! Coming to your 'hood this November.

Warning: overuse side effects might include production of unintelligible sentences, causing blank stares, and development of severe gibberish.

Keep away from children and prescriptive linguists.

Last edited:
In the movie Red Planet, Val Kilmer ("space janitor"), exprssed the same discomfort while viewing Phobos from the surface of Mars. Fun movie, check it out.

Drakkith said:
Moonar transit. There, problem solved!

I was leaning towards "moonetary" transit. Sounds more pecuniary that way.

satellite

1. What does the term "non-Earth moon" mean?

The term "non-Earth moon" refers to any natural satellite that orbits a planet other than Earth.

2. What are some examples of non-Earth moons?

Some examples of non-Earth moons are Titan (orbiting Saturn), Europa (orbiting Jupiter), and Triton (orbiting Neptune).

3. How are non-Earth moons named?

Non-Earth moons are typically named after mythological figures associated with the planet they orbit or are given a numerical designation if they are smaller or less significant.

4. What makes a non-Earth moon different from Earth's moon?

A non-Earth moon differs from Earth's moon in terms of size, composition, and orbit. Non-Earth moons can also have unique features and characteristics, such as active volcanoes or subsurface oceans.

5. Are there any potential habitable non-Earth moons?

There are several non-Earth moons that are considered potential candidates for hosting life, such as Europa and Enceladus, which have subsurface oceans that could potentially harbor microbial life.