Finding the unknown cordinates of a point on a vector

In summary: Once you split into components it WILL turn into two equations in the two unknowns t and k. It's about the same amount of work to do it this way as to solve the cross product equation.
EmilyHopkins
Relative to the origin O, the position vectors of two points A and B are (1,4) and (7,1) respectively. Give that the point P (t,t+1) is on AB find

1) AP and BP in terms of t

2) Find the value of t and hence the ratio AP:PBSolution:

1) AP= (-i - 4 j) + ti + (t+1)J = (t-1)i + (t-3)j
BP= -7i -j + ti + (t+1)j =(t-7)i + (t)j

2) I have no idea how to find t.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
EmilyHopkins said:
Relative to the origin O, the position vectors of two points A and B are (1,4) and (7,1) respectively. Give that the point P (t,t+1) is on AB find

1) AP and BP in terms of t

2) Find the value of t and hence the ratio AP:PBSolution:

1) AP= (-i - 4 j) + ti + (t+1)J = (1-t)i + (t-3)j
BP= -7i -j + ti + (t+1)j =(t-7)i + (t)j

2) I have no idea how to find t.

AP and PB are parallel vectors, since P is on AB, right? How do you express two vectors being parallel in algebra? BTW your expression for AP has a sign mistake.

Last edited:
Dick said:
AP and PB are parallel vectors, since P is on AB, right? How do you express two vectors being parallel in algebra? BTW your expression for AP has a sign mistake.

Well if AP and PB are parallel then their cross product is 0.

0 = AP X PB

0= ((t -1)i + (t-3)j) X (( T-7)i + tj)
0 = - (t-3)(t-7)k + (t-1)t k
0 = (3-t)(t-7) k + (t-1)tk
0= (3t -t^2-21+7t)k + (t-1)tk
0= (10t -t^2 -21)k + (t-1)tk
0= (10t -t^2 -21)k +(t^2 - t)k
0= (9t -21)k

9t-21=0
9t=21
t= 7/3

Last edited:
EmilyHopkins said:

That would be one way to go if you extend them to three dimensional vectors. It's also true that if they are parallel then they are multiples of each other. k*AP=PB for some constant k.

Dick said:
That would be one way to go if you extend them to three dimensional vectors. It's also true that if they are parallel then they are multiples of each other. k*AP=PB for some constant k.
Wouldn't that just introduce another unknown variable which would require us to have 2 equations in order to solve. I thought this route already but didn't bother going this way since I don't know the ratio, and hence the value of k.

Last edited:
EmilyHopkins said:

0 = AP X PB

0= ((t -1)i + (t-3)j) X (( T-7)i + j)
0 = - (t-3)(t-7)k + (t-1) k
0 = (3-t)(t-7) k + (t-1)k
0= (3t -t^2-21+7t)k + (t-1)k
0= (10t -t^2 -21)k + (t-1)k
0= (11t - t^2 -22)k

11t - t^2 -22 =0

a= -1, b= 11, c=--22

t = -11 ± (121 -4(-1)(-22))1/2/2(-1)

t= -1.72 or t= 12.7 ?

You are being pretty sloppy here. (t-7)i + (t)j turned into (( T-7)i + j). Something missing. If you do this right the t^2 will cancel.

EmilyHopkins said:
Wouldn't that just introduce another unknown variable which would require us to have 2 equations in order to solve. I thought this route already but didn't bother going this way since I don't know the ratio, and hence the value of k.

Once you split into components it WILL turn into two equations in the two unknowns t and k. It's about the same amount of work to do it this way as to solve the cross product equation.

1. How do I find the unknown coordinates of a point on a vector?

To find the unknown coordinates of a point on a vector, you will need to know the direction and magnitude of the vector. Then, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to solve for the coordinates. Alternatively, you can use the dot product formula to find the coordinates.

2. What is the Pythagorean theorem and how is it used to find coordinates on a vector?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In the context of finding coordinates on a vector, you can use this theorem to find the length of the vector and then use trigonometric functions to solve for the coordinates.

3. Can I use the dot product formula to find the coordinates on any vector?

Yes, the dot product formula can be used to find the coordinates on any vector. This formula involves multiplying the magnitudes of the two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them. The result will give you the coordinates of the point on the vector.

4. Is it necessary to know the direction of the vector to find the coordinates of a point on it?

Yes, it is necessary to know the direction of the vector to find the coordinates of a point on it. The direction of the vector will determine the angle between the vector and the coordinate axes, which is needed to solve for the coordinates using the Pythagorean theorem or the dot product formula.

5. Can I use the coordinates of a point on a vector to find the direction and magnitude of the vector?

Yes, you can use the coordinates of a point on a vector to find the direction and magnitude of the vector. By using the inverse trigonometric functions, you can solve for the angle and then use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the vector.