Ionic Core Distance: Explaining the Significance

In summary, when two ionic cores, i and j, come closer together, they form bonding orbitals from non-bonding orbitals, leading to changes in the electric field. This process is explained in more detail in the book "Solids and Surfaces: A Chemist's View of Bonding in Extended Structures" by Roald Hoffmann.
VivaLaFisica
Given two ionic cores, i and j, can someone please explain what it is that's happening as the distance between them decreases? What is its significance?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 379
Physics news on Phys.org
VivaLaFisica said:
Given two ionic cores, i and j, can someone please explain what it is that's happening as the distance between them decreases? What is its significance?

It is difficult to know what exactly you are asking here. Are you asking why, as the two ions gets closer, the field changes? Isn't this just a standard E&M problem?

Or are you asking what would cause the two ions to be closer?

{scratching head}

Zz.

VivaLaFisica said:

All I can see is that they are forming bonding orbitals from non-bonding orbitals. But that itself does not make any solid.

For chemists easy explanation see in a book
Roald Hoffmann Solids and Surfaces: A Chemist's View of Bonding in Extended Structures [1st edition ed.] (9780471187103, 0471187100) Wiley-VCH 1989 (76pages) English 5 Mb pdf

1. What is Ionic Core Distance?

Ionic Core Distance (ICD) is a measure of the distance between the positively and negatively charged ions in an ionic compound. It is the distance between the centers of the cation and anion in a crystal lattice.

2. Why is Ionic Core Distance significant?

The ICD is significant because it affects the overall stability and properties of an ionic compound. A shorter ICD indicates a stronger bond between the ions, making the compound more stable and less likely to dissociate. It also affects the strength of the electrostatic forces between ions, which can impact the melting point, solubility, and other physical properties of the compound.

3. How is Ionic Core Distance measured?

ICD can be measured using X-ray crystallography, which involves passing X-rays through a crystal and analyzing the diffraction pattern to determine the positions of the ions. It can also be estimated using theoretical calculations based on the size and charge of the ions.

4. What factors affect Ionic Core Distance?

The size and charge of the ions are the main factors that affect ICD. Smaller ions with higher charges will have a shorter ICD, while larger ions with lower charges will have a longer ICD. The type of ionic bond (e.g. ionic vs. covalent) can also affect ICD.

5. How can understanding Ionic Core Distance be useful?

Understanding ICD can provide insight into the stability and properties of ionic compounds, which is important in fields such as materials science, chemistry, and geology. It can also aid in the design and development of new compounds with desired properties.