Your favorite keyboard combinations

In summary, the conversation discusses the most useful hotkeys for fast note-taking and navigating between windows without using a mouse. The favorites mentioned are "Windows + D" to minimize all windows and go to the desktop, "Alt + Tab" to cycle through open windows, and "Ctrl + left or right" to jump between words while typing. Other hotkeys mentioned include "Ctrl-C" for copy, "Ctrl-V" for paste, and "Ctrl-X" for delete. The conversation also briefly touches on practical jokes involving hotkeys.
Square1
Do you have favorite/most handy hotkeys? I started to appreciate them when in class taking notes fast and I don't have a mouse and resent using a mouse-pad heavily.

All time favorite for me is "Windows + D". It minimizes all windows and takes you to your desktop. Absolutely love it.

Close second I think is "Alt + Tab + Tab + Tab +...". Let's you cycle through the windows that are open. What best about this though is that just one "Alt + Tab" takes you the the last open window. So if you are doing a task that requires going back and forth from one window to the other very often, making a single definite button push with your fingers I find is less distracting than going for the mouse, finding the window in the task bar, over and over.

Also a fan of "Ctrl + left or right". It jumps the cursor word by word left or right. Really useful when I am racing to take notes in class and I don't have a mouse, and need to go back in the sentence to make a quick fix. You can tack on "Shift" as well to highlight simultaneously. I find doing little changes like this every few sentences slow and distracting with a mouse-pad. Also a bit faster than holding left or right.

:cool:

Computer science news on Phys.org
The ones I use the most are CTRL-C, CTRL-V, and CTRL-X, respectively copy, paste, and delete.

What is the shortcut for maximizing a window? I seem to accidentally hit it sometimes when I'm typing fast...

Some favourites to use for a practical joke in school:

High contrast: ALT + LSHIFT + PRTSCRN (make the colours go all funky)
Slow keys: RSHIFT for 8 secs
ToggleKeys: Numlock for 5s (I think this is the one makes the pcs internal buzzer go when a certain keys are pressed)

fun-fact-extra-content.gif

[Source: http://www.toothpastefordinner.com, Date 03/20/13]

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

collinsmark said:

Ahh, reminds me of the old runescape trick of telling noobs to drop their items and then press ALT + F4 to *insert amazing sounding thing* to their items.

collinsmark said:

I learned the truths of this in my tender childhood years, whilst hours into intesive rts games. The paaaiiinnn...

windows key + L whenever I leave my computer for seconds/minutes (sometimes hours).

Once I've opened a graphics program (on Windows), I use these to grab screenshots or photos of windows:

capture current window to clipboard
Alt-PrtScrn
capture entire desktop to clipboard
Ctrl-PrtScrn

1. What is the purpose of keyboard combinations?

Keyboard combinations are used to perform certain actions or functions on a computer without having to use a mouse or touchpad. They save time and make tasks more efficient.

2. How do I create custom keyboard combinations?

Most operating systems and software allow users to create their own custom keyboard combinations. This can usually be done by going into the settings or preferences and assigning a specific key or key combination to a certain function.

3. Can I use keyboard combinations on a touchscreen device?

Yes, most touchscreen devices also have the option to use keyboard combinations. This can be done by connecting a physical keyboard or by using the on-screen keyboard that has special function keys.

4. What are some commonly used keyboard combinations?

Some commonly used keyboard combinations include Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V for copy and paste, Alt + Tab for switching between open windows, and Ctrl + Z for undoing an action.

5. Are there any risks associated with using keyboard combinations?

No, there are no known risks associated with using keyboard combinations. However, it is important to be aware of what actions certain combinations may perform, as some may have irreversible effects on your computer or files.