Calculation of g force on an bank of an aeroplane

In summary, to calculate the G force of an airplane with a mass of 79015 and a velocity of 257.2 m/s turning uniformly at a radius of 100 meters, the formula f=mv^2/r is used. This results in an answer of f=52269876.376. Substituting this into the equation f=ma, the acceleration is calculated as 661.51 m/sec^2. Finally, using G=a/g, the G force is found to be 67.5 g's. However, at such high speeds, it is not feasible for airplanes to make such tight turns due to the risk of structural damage and passenger health concerns.
intreates
can anyone tell me how to calculate G force of an airplane of mass=79015, velocity=257.2 m/s turning uniformly at a radius of 100 meters.
I use the formula as f=mv^2/r
i don't know if its correct but i get an answer of f=52269876.376
then i substituted in the equation f=ma .. and i got a= 661.51 m/sec^2
finally i used G=a/g. i got G= 661.51/9.8
and i got 67.5 g's... please help me with this problem .

Physics news on Phys.org
And now you know why airplanes do not make such turns when traveling at such high speeds.

Technically, you've only computed the horizontal component of the loading factor. If you had a smaller load, you'd have to combine it with vertical 1g due to gravity. But in this case, it won't make any difference.

It's simple: a plane traveling at 257.2 m/s can't turn this tightly without coming apart. Anyone aboard has already blacked out.

1. How is g force calculated on an airplane?

G force on an airplane is calculated by multiplying the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²) by the bank angle of the airplane in radians. The resulting value is the g force experienced by the passengers and objects on the airplane.

2. What is the maximum g force an airplane can experience?

The maximum g force an airplane can experience is dependent on its design and capabilities. However, most commercial airplanes are limited to a maximum g force of 2.5 to 3 g's.

3. How does the bank angle of an airplane affect g force?

The bank angle of an airplane directly affects the magnitude of g force experienced by the passengers and objects on the airplane. The higher the bank angle, the higher the g force will be.

4. How does g force affect the human body during flight?

G force can have various effects on the human body, depending on its magnitude and duration. Mild g forces, such as those experienced during a typical flight, may cause discomfort but are generally not harmful. However, high g forces can lead to loss of consciousness, known as G-induced loss of consciousness (G-LOC), and can be dangerous for pilots and passengers.

5. Can g forces be felt during a level flight?

Yes, g forces can be felt during a level flight. The force of gravity is always acting on objects, including airplanes, and can be felt as a constant downward force. However, during a level flight, the g force experienced is typically close to 1 g, which is the same as the force of gravity on Earth's surface, and may not be noticeable to passengers.