Cable trays: Return Flange cable tray

• Thread starter hisham.i
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cable
In summary, a return flange on the top of a cable tray makes it stronger. This is because there are no sharp edges at the top of the flange, which might damage cables if they are pulled over the flange.
hisham.i
I am designing cable tray for installation, while i am looking on different types of cables trays i found that there is cable trays called "Cable trays with return flange".

So i am wondering where such type of trays is used?

Thanks,
Hisham

Engineering news on Phys.org
Most cable trays have return flange because this makes them several times stronger. The actual strength is a function of the cross sectional detail (which includes the flange design) and material properties. You would probably only use non-return flange in cases where loading was minimal and you wanted to save a little money.

This is really a ME question and, unless this is something really simple, you need to work with your cable tray supplier because there are potentially lots of factors you need to consider:

Maximum span length between supports, maximum permissible deflection, material, surface treatment, loading (cable, wind, snow ...).

A return flange means the top edge of the flange is bent through 180 degrees, to make the flange double the thickness.

As #2 said, it makes the flange stronger. Also there are no sharp edges at the top of the flange, that might damage cables if they are pulled over the flange.

Thanks for your helpful info.

But i don't understand how can a flange on the top of the cable tray make it stronger?

If this is not intuitive to you then it may be best for you to discover this hands-on:

Get a flat, rectangular piece of material (thin sheetmetal if you have it, or even just cardboard).

See how easy it is to bend it along its long axis with no flange.

Now bend up along both long edges 90 degrees, (like a cable tray flange), and try bending it now.

Last edited:
When you have tried the experiment in #5, think how "floppy" something like a 3 meter long section of tray would be, and how easily it could be damaged when transporting it and installing it, without flanges.

Agreed that it will provide more strength on horizantal forces, but how it will affect the loading?

You would probably only use non-return flange in cases where loading was minimal and you wanted to save a little money.
as "the_emi_guy".

Since return flange will not provide any strength for the loading capacity.

I agreed with the point of thinking of hisham.i..
How can the return flange give additional strength to the cable loading part (bottom part) of the cable tray...?
Can anyone share the mechanical strength Comparison calculations for the types...?
And also can anyone know how to calculate the the distance between and the type of supports for cable tray...?
Please share the details it would be very much useful for everyone..!

Thanks in advance,
Manian M R S

1. What is a cable tray?

A cable tray is a structural system used to support and organize cables and wires in a building, typically in an industrial or commercial setting. It is a metal or plastic tray with a flat bottom and raised sides to contain and protect the cables.

2. What is a return flange cable tray?

A return flange cable tray is a type of cable tray that has a flange on the top edge of the tray, which bends inward to create a lip or return that helps to secure and organize the cables within the tray. This design also provides added strength and rigidity to the tray.

3. What are the benefits of using return flange cable trays?

Return flange cable trays offer several benefits, including increased cable protection, improved cable ventilation, and easier cable routing and maintenance. The return flange also helps to prevent cables from slipping or falling out of the tray, reducing the risk of accidents or damage.

4. What materials are return flange cable trays typically made of?

Return flange cable trays can be made from a variety of materials, including steel, aluminum, and fiberglass. Steel trays are the most common and offer high strength and durability, while aluminum trays are lighter in weight and more corrosion-resistant. Fiberglass trays are non-conductive and suitable for areas with high levels of electromagnetic interference.

5. What are the different types of return flange cable trays?

There are several types of return flange cable trays, including ladder trays, solid bottom trays, and wire mesh trays. Ladder trays have rungs that provide support for the cables and allow for easy access for maintenance. Solid bottom trays have a solid base to protect the cables from debris and liquids. Wire mesh trays have a grid-like design that allows for better airflow and cable visibility.